Doctor Who Spoilers & Information (Part 3)

Comments

• GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    We did get something of a small insight earlier this year. Netflix reported that Orange is the New Black is their most watched series, followed later by:

Interesting. Thanks for that snippet.

I assume that's US only audience figures (being Nielsen numbers). 6 million is quite small, but respectable, for the US market, given that recent "most watched" broadcasts (Superbowl) surpass the 100 million mark. For non-sports related it's around 35 million (Academy Awards) The M*A*S*H finale achieved over 100 million in 1983.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Interesting. Thanks for that snippet.

I assume that's US only audience figures (being Nielsen numbers). 6 million is quite small, but respectable, for the US market, given that recent "most watched" broadcasts (Superbowl) surpass the 100 million mark. For non-sports related it's around 35 million (Academy Awards) The M*A*S*H finale achieved over 100 million in 1983.

Isn't The Walking Dead the most/one of the most watched on-going TV shows in the US at the moment?
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airborae wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing Arrow, The Flash, Goth and Supergirl later this year. All of whom have Doctor Who connections.

Doctor Who was even referenced in an episode of Supergirl by Winslow 'Winn' Schott Jr.

Fantastic.

Correction - Gotham! Sean Pertwee looks so much like his father, especially the eyes.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Isn't The Walking Dead the most/one of the most watched on-going TV shows in the US at the moment?
    [Off topic]

According to Variety Link Nielsen (estimated) figures for the TWD finale (shown on AMC) was 15.8 million. If accurate, that makes an interesting comparison with Netflix and their "Originals". It's also one of the most time-shifted shows.

But then the Daily Mail wasn't impressed by the figures (14.6 million).for its premiere Link I make no comment about the quality of Daily Mail news reports. ;-)

Perhaps the show doesn't sit well with the Mail's target demographic or it's yet another tabloid non-story. Oops! My bad. I did comment after all. :)

I'm not quite sure how Nielsen arrive at their figures for cable shows. Variety also reported Link Nielsen estimates based on the number of Twitter tweets and unique senders as one source of its estimates. :confused:

[/Off topic]
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Filming on Block 2 is starting up, so hopefully we'll get announcements of the guest cast soon.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Peter and Pearl are filming episode 2 in Valencia, Spain. Rather miffed, as I was there myself until a few days ago :D
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter and Pearl are filming episode 2 in Valencia, Spain. Rather miffed, as I was there myself until a few days ago :D

You could always enjoy the Valencia ice lollies from Marks & Spencer! Just to...you know...:)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good old fashioned running.

Poor Capaldi and those layers.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Valencia will simply be Valencia, or is it standing in for some futuristic city / planet?
    That area around the City of Arts and Sciences is fab. I went there a few years ago and thought then it would make a brilliant setting for a film. The architecture is just wonderful!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not bad for an 'old' fellah who was apparently finding the filming a bit of a strain a few years ago. And I believed it....it was stated on tinternet. ;-)

Like Bill's stripy top and bow in hair....
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member

Darn your spoilers, I had no idea there would be running in the upcoming series. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bad for an 'old' fellah who was apparently finding the filming a bit of a strain a few years ago. And I believed it....it was stated on tinternet. ;-)

Like Bill's stripy top and bow in hair....

You mean he's not just doing one series because he's exhausted and can't handle TV filming schedules any longer? This is news to me.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    I wonder if Valencia will simply be Valencia, or is it standing in for some futuristic city / planet?

Future City /alien world I would think. Just cgi some flying cars on the top of the bridge.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    You could always enjoy the Valencia ice lollies from Marks & Spencer! Just to...you know...:)
    They are heavenly!
    adams66 wrote: »
    That area around the City of Arts and Sciences is fab. I went there a few years ago and thought then it would make a brilliant setting for a film. The architecture is just wonderful!
    It's a shame they never pressed ahead with the viewing platform they were going to build there, the whole area looks brilliantly futuristic. I imagine it'll be used for an alien planet or a future Earth or something. It tends to be that way when they use the futuristic looking buildings, as there's less Earth-related history to them of course.

__

Joss Whedon has apparently said he'd write for the show if the Doctor was female or Idris Elba. Sounds like a rather light-hearted comment, but still I've rather gone off the man in recent years. I loved Buffy but his views regarding feminism seem rather overdone... I'm in the camp who's happy with the idea of a female Doctor, it doesn't bother me at all if the actress is a good fit for the role. But ironically I think insisting you'll only write for a woman lead is itself rather sexist.
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joss Whedon has apparently said he'd write for the show if the Doctor was female or Idris Elba. Sounds like a rather light-hearted comment, but still I've rather gone off the man in recent years. I loved Buffy but his views regarding feminism seem rather overdone... I'm in the camp who's happy with the idea of a female Doctor, it doesn't bother me at all if the actress is a good fit for the role. But ironically I think insisting you'll only write for a woman lead is itself rather sexist.

The Avengers movie was the best superhero movie since the first Superman film with Christopher Reeve, in my opinion, maybe barring the Dark Knight trilogy. The sequel wasn't as good, but still enjoyable. Cabin in the Woods was fun, but I found Agents of Shield incredibly weak for his standards.

Whedon is one of my favourite television writers, so I'd love him to write for Doctor Who, but as long as his heart was in it. There are often times these days when he doesn't seem as driven in his work as he once was.
  • Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll honestly never stop backing Olivia Colman as the first female Doctor.
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll honestly never stop backing Olivia Colman as the first female Doctor.

I'm gunning for Suranne Jones. She was amazing in The Doctor's Wife and I could picture her as the Doctor with that performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Behold.

Episode 3 is seemingly using the set from Bill's intro skit.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Behold.

What era is that? EdwardIan ? Or earlier. Looks interesting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What era is that? EdwardIan ? Or earlier. Looks interesting

Dollard confirmed it wasn't Victorian. Some have speculated Regency based off Pearl's dress.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think it's Regency too. I hope they announce the guest cast for the block soon.
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool Capaldi outfit.
    Forum Member
    Behold.

Have I missed an announcement about the Paternoster Gang?
  • Whoswho1Whoswho1 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Have I missed an announcement about the Paternoster Gang?

Nope, they are not Capaldi era staple, Thank goodness.
    Forum Member
    Whoswho1 wrote: »
    Nope, they are not Capaldi era staple, Thank goodness.

Oh I love them. I've got my fingers crossed! :)