Calling all playbook owners OS 2.0 is now available!!!

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hit check for updates and it should pop up!! Finally!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloading it now :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of coverage here
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-os-20-now-available-download

The download was fairly quick but it's taking an age to install....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Lots of coverage here
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-os-20-now-available-download

The download was fairly quick but it's taking an age to install....

Just been over on Crackberry, lots of excited people there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just installed and rebooted (took about 20 minutes) and it looks fantastic. Lots of new things to play with.
  • dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they improved the apps at all. This is something that was putting me off the Playbook a little. Is there a dedicated app for Facebook, Netflix and the like?
  • John_ElwayJohn_Elway Posts: 5,121
    Forum Member
    dreamfish wrote: »
    Have they improved the apps at all. This is something that was putting me off the Playbook a little. Is there a dedicated app for Facebook, Netflix and the like?

There's always been a dedicated app for Facebook. Not sure about Netflix.
    Forum Member
    Just installed and rebooted (took about 20 minutes) and it looks fantastic. Lots of new things to play with.

Yes it's excellent. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a Blackberry phone the Bluetooth remote control in 2.0 is very cool. You just need to upgrade the BB Bridge software on your handset.

Also see BB's website for new 2.0 features and demos: http://demos.blackberry.com/playbook-os20/na/us/gen/
    Forum Member
    I have the 9900 with the PB and together they are :cool:
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of comeprises I had when getting this was my bluetooth ear phones didn't work. Know My Sony Ericsson mw600 do,
    yay all the way:):):). With the update
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The update as far as the user experience goes has just made it a little more polished. Loving the email inbox, set all my email accounts up so I have them all centralized in one place. Super cool, really is smooth. Android apps are now available. I will be honest I have not found many but they are starting to trickle in. A lot of developers still waiting on RIM to get their apps signed and loaded on to the app world.

What I would say to do, if there are android apps you know about and would like to see on playbook, get in touch with the developers. All they have to do is port it which I understand without knowing all the technical ins and outs, is a relatively simple process. So I am sure we can get together and also help populate the app world with apps that we would like to see.

No netflix yet, I would have thought at least the android based kindle app would be available though. Still, it's a start. Things are looking up. Aside from the apps, the playbook is running superbly so I'm pretty satisfied overall.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they finally added BBM and enterprise support?
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Have they finally added BBM and enterprise support?

There is no BBM on the PB, although it is available using BlackBerry Bridge as bwefore. RIM have said it will be included in a future software release.

2.0 also provides enhanced Enterprise support.

Hopefully there will be some more apps coming through now. RIM has said they only want the best Android apps to become available but Netflix and Kindle would be a good start!

I would also like to be able to synchronise my Outlook Calendar with the new Calendar on PB, but hopefully there will be an app for that soon too!
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I updated to OS2 yesterday and so far I haven't seen any problems with anything. Actually I was quite happy with it before (apart from there being no e-mail and no file manager) but now it's even better. The only slight complaint I have is that during the upgrade there was a long pause after the 'downloading' bar finished and the 'installing' bar appeared. There was a message onscreen saying that the PB would need a restart and I was tempted to turn it off and re-boot, but just then the installation startred. Rather confusing, RIM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also like to be able to synchronise my Outlook Calendar with the new Calendar on PB, but hopefully there will be an app for that soon too!

I don't thin there's anyway to do it directly (unless you use Exchange for email. POP email isn't designed for 2 way syncing) but you may be able to sync both Outlook and the PB via Gmail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2.0 also provides enhanced Enterprise support.

The only problem I've had so far with 2.0 is that I have been unable to get my work email connecting through ActiveSync. I think it's to do with security settings on our Exchange sever. I'll have to talk to our IT guys.

Anyway, I suppose it's more secure to do work email though Blackerry Bridge & BES with my phone.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does this thing play pdf's and mobi files and all the ebook type stuff okay? plus mp3s, flac, shn, wav files gaplessly, and also video files like divx and mkv etc?

does it play all android programs or just some of them?
  • dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of apps is stopping me buying it now. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem I've had so far with 2.0 is that I have been unable to get my work email connecting through ActiveSync. I think it's to do with security settings on our Exchange sever. I'll have to talk to our IT guys.

Anyway, I suppose it's more secure to do work email though Blackerry Bridge & BES with my phone.

That is how I've done it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't thin there's anyway to do it directly (unless you use Exchange for email. POP email isn't designed for 2 way syncing) but you may be able to sync both Outlook and the PB via Gmail.

It would be nice if you could save the Exchange Calendar to the FB Calendar via BlackBerry Bridge.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think these are going to get a bit more hard to get hold off know the update has added a lot more features that it should have had in the first place. For the current prices pcw are selling them for they are a very good tablet even without apps but they should come now, more revenue for the devs to exploit with potential android ports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    does this thing play pdf's and mobi files and all the ebook type stuff okay? plus mp3s, flac, shn, wav files gaplessly, and also video files like divx and mkv etc?

does it play all android programs or just some of them?

It has Adobe Acrobat on board, so handles PDFs just great. I don't know what a mobi file is I'm afraid.
    For eBooks, it has Kobo books, and Crackberry is reporting that the Kindle app can now be loaded on it.

MP3s and AAC play just fine, as do divx and xvid videos too. I haven't tried any of the other formats you mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dreamfish wrote: »
    The lack of apps is stopping me buying it now. :(

What apps do you need that it is short on? There is a pretty good collection now, which is growing fast every day.

The only thing that I would like to see is netflix. Everything else seems pretty comprehensive for my needs at least.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Joe* wrote: »
    What apps do you need that it is short on? There is a pretty good collection now, which is growing fast every day.

The only thing that I would like to see is netflix. Everything else seems pretty comprehensive for my needs at least.

I'm unsure what apps you have so I will ask.

Streaming - iplayer, 4od, demand5, itv player, sky player
    Travel - google maps, national rail, local busses
    Notes - onenote, Evernote...
    Games - GTA, civ, simcity, scrabble, PVZ...
    Other - kindle, chamber and Oxford dictionary, Dropbox

Again you may have all these, but I'm interested to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I'm unsure what apps you have so I will ask.

Streaming - iplayer, 4od, demand5, itv player, sky player
    Travel - google maps, national rail, local busses
    Notes - onenote, Evernote...
    Games - GTA, civ, simcity, scrabble, PVZ...
    Other - kindle, chamber and Oxford dictionary, Dropbox

Again you may have all these, but I'm interested to know.

iPlayer - yes we have

4OD - works via the website, not a specific app (remember playbook can use flash websites that the iPad can't).

Demand5 - works via the website

ITV Player - works via the website

Sky player - haven't tested

Google maps - there's an app for this, but I tend to use Bing maps app

National Rail - there are numerous train time apps, couldn't find a national rail one, but good mobile site, just make a bookmark on your desktop and it takes you straight in

onenote - hundreds of note taking apps in appworld, didn't check them all

Evernote - yes

GTA - No, Sim City - Yes, Scrabble - No, PVZ - Yes

Kindle - Yes

OED - More dictionary apps than you can shake a stick at, didn't check them all.

Dropbox - No, but there are numerous other cloud based storage apps.

The fact that the Playbook can render Flash and HTML5 properly means that there are many things it can do without needing dedicated 'apps' the iPad only needs a 4OD app, because it can't show the 4OD website properly, same goes for Youtube and many other video services.

There are a lot of apps on app world, and some big developers getting behind PlayBook (EA games has a lot of titles out already, and more to come).

I had an iPad before getting my PlayBook, I have since given the iPad to my mother (she loves it BTW), but I love my PlayBook. Not every product will be the best solution for everyone.

ETA: Dropbox is available on BlackBerry, so I would assume that it's coming soon to PlayBook