Nexus 5 details leaked

Comments

• clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Have to agree, I do think too much importance is put on a phone's camera quality - if you really want stunning photos then it's a separate camera you need.

But to improve on the camera in devices like the 1020, 808, etc. you have to be going for a bridge camera - which is a little pricy.

The 1020 (and 808) have shown that you can get indecently good picture quality in a mobile.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Sorry, but hahahahahaha. Really? The camera isn't superb in low light. The One is a good phone, but the camera isn't - regardless of HTCs marketing - one of its strong points.

I think you need a reality check. For a smartphone the One has a great low light camera. It is not the best but it is good.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how that Oppo N1 rotating camera performs. That many moving parts scares me.

I don't care too much about the camera, so all this won't bother me in the slightest. I can see the convergence advantages for those that use cameras a lot but it'll be a long, long while before they'll realistically rival a decent dedicated camera. if it shave £50 off the price, I wouldn't mind a camera-less model (I think Nokia did that once for one of their E series models).

I could do with the Nexus 5 being a little bigger than the expected 5"-ish. Anything up to 5.5". As it is, I'll wait for the launch and then choose between it, the Note 2 and the Oppo Find 5 I think.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    What do you mean look at the HTC One? The camera is superb low light where OIS comes into its own.
    Sorry, but hahahahahaha. Really? The camera isn't superb in low light. The One is a good phone, but the camera isn't - regardless of HTCs marketing - one of its strong points.

The HTC one camera is crap. it doesn't compare well to even the aged nokia N8

OIS doesn't necessarily mean it's a good camera. but it is perhaps a sign that they've spent more money on it.
    Have to agree, I do think too much importance is put on a phone's camera quality - if you really want stunning photos then it's a separate camera you need.
    if someone wants a phone with a good camera then that is what they should buy. and if someone wants to sell them a phone with a good camera then they should make one. :confused:
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    £249 for 16GB and £299 for 32GB would be the sweet spot for a device like this. Any more and it becomes too expensive imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need a reality check. For a smartphone the One has a great low light camera. It is not the best but it is good.

The low light performance is roughly equivalent to a Nokia 720, which isn't even slightly attempting to be a high end device.
    Forum Member

It's good, but not that good. The camera's only strong point is low lighting shots but even it's not very good at that. Pretty much every other flagship device has a better camera right now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I wonder how that Oppo N1 rotating camera performs. That many moving parts scares me.

I don't care too much about the camera, so all this won't bother me in the slightest. I can see the convergence advantages for those that use cameras a lot but it'll be a long, long while before they'll realistically rival a decent dedicated camera. if it shave £50 off the price, I wouldn't mind a camera-less model (I think Nokia did that once for one of their E series models).

The 808 showed that a mobile (even a chunkier one) can actually take better shots that most dedicated compact cameras, and rival the results from some bridge cameras.

The 1020 gives maybe 98% of the 808 quality - so its basically in the same position.

So its not a long way off, some of the devices are available today.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that bothers me the most from the alleged specs is the 2300mAh battery. In this day and age, really?!

The Nexus 5 is supposedly based on the LG G2. LG gave their flagship phone a 3000mAh battery. Google gives their flagship a 2300mAh battery. That is poor! Not impressed.
    I've had 12 phones in the last three years so it was getting a bit daft. And now she is not happy with my old phones but wants a new one of her own which has cut down my options.

12 phones in 3 years? Wow, you must be loaded! :D

Off-topic i know but you mind me asking what those 12 phones were?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me the most from the alleged specs is the 2300mAh battery. In this day and age, really?!

The Nexus 5 is supposedly based on the LG G2. LG gave their flagship phone a 3000mAh battery. Google gives their flagship a 2300mAh battery. That is poor! Not impressed.

Maybe its running KitKat and they're finally getting some sensible power management in there .... ?
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But to improve on the camera in devices like the 1020, 808, etc. you have to be going for a bridge camera - which is a little pricy.

The 1020 (and 808) have shown that you can get indecently good picture quality in a mobile.

I think I would still take a good digital compact over a 1020, something like Sony's RX100 is as good as a bridge these days.. not cheap though.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    £249 for 16GB and £299 for 32GB would be the sweet spot for a device like this. Any more and it becomes too expensive imo.

Considering this will be a top end phone, you could charge an extra £75-100 above the prices you have quoted and it will still be relatively cheap.

Since the N4 was very cheap, if the N5 isnt as cheap it will seem expensive. However in comparison to other phones of a similar spec it wont be.
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    Considering this will be a top end phone, you could charge an extra £75-100 above the prices you have quoted and it will still be relatively cheap.

Since the N4 was very cheap, if the N5 isnt as cheap it will seem expensive. However in comparison to other phones of a similar spec it wont be.

Well no, the Galaxy S4 is under £400 at the moment. And yes, whilst the Nexus 5 may have slightly better specs the Samsung brand will sell better if the Nexus 5 is priced too high sim free.

Nexus 5 needs to be priced well sim free otherwise people will just buy an S4 on contract/off contract.

And for me it'll be too expensive when China are spewing out high quality 1080p 2GB RAM phones for £150-£250.
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does anybody get the nexus on a contract?
    Forum Member
    barcajaden wrote: »
    does anybody get the nexus on a contract?

not really.

the contract prices do not reflect well the price of the handset..
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is around £249 for the N5 I will trade my N4 into CEX and grab an N5 ay launch.

16GB is plenty for me ATM so I will stick with that.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Exactly. If you value photos, a phone's nothing more than a back-up to a decent camera.

I'm not using anywhere near the 16Gb on my Nexus 4 so I'm not interested in the additional storage. The N4 is great for what I'm using it for (calls, texts, email, apps and a bit of browsing) so it's not worth my upgrading.
    Forum Member
    Exactly. If you value photos, a phone's nothing more than a back-up to a decent camera.

I'm not using anywhere near the 16Gb on my Nexus 4 so I'm not interested in the additional storage. The N4 is great for what I'm using it for (calls, texts, email, apps and a bit of browsing) so it's not worth my upgrading.

there is a saying in photography. The best camera is the one that's with you.

I want a decent camera on my phone and i'll only buy one with a decent camera.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    there is a saying in photography. The best camera is the one that's with you.

I want a decent camera on my phone and i'll only buy one with a decent camera.

There is some truth to that but I don't think there is any phone though with a really decent camera, especially if you're into photography and used to top end digital cameras

it's more a case of them being relatively acceptable in emergencies.

Anyone who is into their photography will probably carry a proper high quality compact around with them most of the time. You can't go much wrong with something like a Sony RX100 which will utterly destroy any mobile phone toy camera.
    Forum Member
    jonner101 wrote: »
    There is some truth to that but I don't think there is any phone though with a really decent camera, especially if you're into photography and used to top end digital cameras

it's more a case of them being relatively acceptable in emergencies.

Anyone who is into their photography will probably carry a proper high quality compact around with them most of the time. You can't go much wrong with something like a Sony RX100 which will utterly destroy any mobile phone toy camera.
    What do you mean 'toy' camera?
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Well no, the Galaxy S4 is under £400 at the moment. And yes, whilst the Nexus 5 may have slightly better specs the Samsung brand will sell better if the Nexus 5 is priced too high sim free.

Nexus 5 needs to be priced well sim free otherwise people will just buy an S4 on contract/off contract.

And for me it'll be too expensive when China are spewing out high quality 1080p 2GB RAM phones for £150-£250.

The S4 maybe cheaper (going by my prices) than the 32GB Nexus, however some people want the pure android experience, and quick updates. You wont get that with an S4. So even if they are comparable in price, some will want the very slightly better phone and pure android.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The S4 maybe cheaper (going by my prices) than the 32GB Nexus, however some people want the pure android experience, and quick updates. You wont get that with an S4. So even if they are comparable in price, some will want the very slightly better phone and pure android.

I wouldn't buy a Samsung device. It could be cheaper than the Nexus 5 and I still wouldn't. I'd rather have the Android experience as it was intended rather than an OS that's had a load of bloat added to it.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a Samsung device. It could be cheaper than the Nexus 5 and I still wouldn't. I'd rather have the Android experience as it was intended rather than an OS that's had a load of bloat added to it.

Couldn't you just flash it with the ROM from the google experience S4 thats sold in the USA?
    Forum Member

Thats the beauty of android. There will be a phone out there that best fits your needs. You have a choice.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Couldn't you just flash it with the ROM from the google experience S4 thats sold in the USA?

Yes, some people can. Some people wont want to nor have the skillset to do so. Also to flash another ROM will more than likely invalidate your warranty.