Humax Foxsat DD 5.1 sound problem?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
Forum Member
Hi guys.

I`m using a Denon AV amp for my sound via the s/pdif toslink cable. Whenever a program is broadcasted with DD 5.1 (only BBC1 HD and Luxe HD at the moment) the volume can`t be controlled using the Humax remote whereas with all other progs it works fine.

I still get the volume window displayed but altering the volume has no effect until it reaches zero when it disappears alltogether. (Makes sense).

This might have been flagged elsewhere but can`t find it.

It`s not a big issue but if we`re watching something and switch to say a BBC HD program the initial blast of sound scares the s**t out of us.

It seems that when a HD prog is broadcast with DD 5.1 audio there is no control over the sound with the remote.

Comments

• u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    Hi

I have the same, it seems to be a "feature" of the humax.

However having said that, it may be much more difficult for the box to change the volume of the dolby stream than to change the PCM (mpeg) sound on SD channels. Hence it is not done.

For best audio quality I would leave the humax volume on max and change volume on your amp.
  • tonyktonyk Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem, hoping that an update will fix design problem. When you change to HD prog using amp it is way out of proportion to SD sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the broadcaster sends Dolby 5.1 the STB must pass-through the stream, if the product attempted to decode, volume change and recode you could loose audio quality. It might be possible to change the stream in-line to change the volume base-line but again this would be messing with the stream in undesirable ways.

Digital audio outputs should always be output at the baseline reference level, changing digital volume levels is undesirable. I don't really think we should be doing it on the PCM version, but there are practicalities with respect to that.

But once again, "optical out" is designed to be as much of a pass-through of the original as possible. It is why you have the choice in purchasing whatever piece of AV equipment you like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Bob_Cat wrote: »

Digital audio outputs should always be output at the baseline reference level, changing digital volume levels is undesirable. I don't really think we should be doing it on the PCM version, but there are practicalities with respect to that.

I've always found it annoying having a 'volume control' on set top boxes as it inevitably ends up with a user lowering the volume on the STB and getting a shock when switching to another input. Mute is ok but Volume makes no sense - the remote volume control should control the TV or AMP volume not the STB.

As a feature request - how about a setting to disable the STB volume?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beberex wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I`m using a Denon AV amp for my sound via the s/pdif toslink cable. Whenever a program is broadcasted with DD 5.1 (only BBC1 HD and Luxe HD at the moment) the volume can`t be controlled using the Humax remote whereas with all other progs it works fine.

I still get the volume window displayed but altering the volume has no effect until it reaches zero when it disappears alltogether. (Makes sense).

This might have been flagged elsewhere but can`t find it.

It`s not a big issue but if we`re watching something and switch to say a BBC HD program the initial blast of sound scares the s**t out of us.

It seems that when a HD prog is broadcast with DD 5.1 audio there is no control over the sound with the remote.

Set the volume on your amp to a comfortable level watching BBC HD, change to a sd channel and adjust the foxsat volume to achieve the same level as on HD. No more burst eardrums :D
  • Geoff_WGeoff_W Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Set the volume on your amp to a comfortable level watching BBC HD, change to a sd channel and adjust the foxsat volume to achieve the same level as on HD. No more burst eardrums :D

That doesn't help when you have to turn up the volume a large amount on BBC HD programmes and then the damned continuity announcer comes on and blasts you out of your seat!

Also, does anyone else find the BBC HD announcer (female) has a very sibilant voice (or else is too closely miked)?

Geoff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Bob_Cat wrote: »

I've always found it annoying having a 'volume control' on set top boxes as it inevitably ends up with a user lowering the volume on the STB and getting a shock when switching to another input. Mute is ok but Volume makes no sense - the remote volume control should control the TV or AMP volume not the STB.

• White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    b33k34 wrote: »

You've posted this twice now. However, I agree.

The volume is far easier to manage by keeping the STB Vol at 100% and adjusting volume on the TV or amp.

I too find the STB volume control annoying simply because I always risk catching it when using other functions on the remote.

The mute button on the other hand is very useful.
  • tonyktonyk Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    You do not have any option than to keep volume at max if you are using an amp for audio, as the first person said on HD nothing happens until you get to zero when the audio is lost altogether.
  • u006852u006852 Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    That doesn't help when you have to turn up the volume a large amount on BBC HD programmes and then the damned continuity announcer comes on and blasts you out of your seat!

Also, does anyone else find the BBC HD announcer (female) has a very sibilant voice (or else is too closely miked)?

Geoff

No, never heard it be sibilant, but yes it is sometimes way too loud compared to the program that preceeded the announcement.

However I have never understood why the announcement is mixed across left, centre and right speakers. Why not just centre?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    How about this for an odd problem of a similar type. I listen to many programmes through wireless earphones, the volume of which is set either by the phones or by a setting on my Panasonic TV. This works well until my wife changes the volume control on the Humax and blows my head off. For some reason the Humax volume control takes over from the TV & phones setting. Is there anyway I can stop the Humax volume controlling the earphone level.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    Also, does anyone else find the BBC HD announcer (female) has a very sibilant voice (or else is too closely miked)?Geoff

When I find my dictionary I will reply to this post :D
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caz42 wrote: »
    When I find my dictionary I will reply to this post :D

^^^ he said in a hiss :D