Is Happy a flop?

Comments

• stevo642stevo642 Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Probably didn't want to draw attention to the charts.

"JLS has a Number 1 album and Leona....erm.....anyway...."

her album is out this week - and she had a 6million debut album (worldwide not just uk lol)- for JLS/Alex the comparisons should be with spirit, and whilst album sales have fallen, they havent fallen that much as leona's rerelease sold 1 million last year - i don't even know if Alex will sell that by xmas, although i suspect JLS def. will - prob wont get near the 2.6m leona did for spirit in UK though
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a poor choice of single, IMO. From first listen I found the song dull and forgettable. It doesn't leave any lasting impression.
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of inbetween topics, but isn't it sad that albums don't sell as much anymore? I mean we'll probably never see anyone beat Thriller in terms of sales, It's crazy. (Thriller is probably a bad example cause NO ONE would ever beat that ha, but in terms of tens of millions). Has anyone in the past decade sold more than 50 million albums by the way? (With ONE album)

Edit: Just checked, the last album to sell over 40 million was Backstreet Boys with Millennium :p
    And that was 1999.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I Gotta Feeling top 10 for 16 weeks (and is still in the top 15)? Haven't left the top 10 overall since May? Boom Boom Pow + I Gotta Feeling in the top 5 best selling singles of the year?

The concensus was always that Leona would outsell them (on their third single). Who should they have got? Westlife? People could still moan and they'd have run her close (75k for them). It's just the way it is. There's a multi million pound TV show to be made, the producers of the show (not just Simon) want to get the best ratings possible with the best guests. Leona is a big star now, she has to compete with other big stars. Whether she got the #1 or not, whether the BEP's appeared or not, the number that really counts (the sales) weren't where they were expected to be.

It's all irrelevant if the album does great and sells 200k next week. But for now, there's no point making excuses.

I would hope that when Simon got the numbers he thought "sh*t, I picked the wrong song" rather than "it would all have been fine if I hadn't invited the BEP's on".
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    Chart position aside this is the XF golden girl who if IRC many on here told us Happy would be a world wide smash but its not really looking like that is it?
    The term flop has to be used in context whilst her sales maybe a smash for many 80k with her debut airing on tv to an audience of 14 mill im kind of guessing it aint what was hoped for.

Even accounting for that, it's not a flop. Underperforming, yeah ok. Flopping? No.

Worldwide, the reaction is hugely varied. In the UK, it has had plenty of airplay and exposure and it hasn't done great. In the US, the itunes reaction has been proportionally miles better than the airplay side of things (which was a problem many fans acknowledged with the song right from the start) but without airplay singles can't be hits on the US charts (and for some reason she hasn't been over there since September). In some of her stronger European markets, it is doing very well.
  • ll_macll_mac Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Simon ruined any chance she had of #1 by inviting Black Eyed Peas on. They're the most popular act in the world right now and yet Simon invites them on the same show as Leona.
    Leona was ahead after the X Factor performances. I have no idea why MMH continued to sell so strongly throughout the week.
    C14E wrote: »
    Probably the wrong choice of single. But at 85k, the sales are pretty good albeit less than would be expected (I'd have said 100k).

Certainly not a flop by any means.

We'll get a better indication of its effectiveness when the album sales figures come through. Its real job is to sell the album. As a single, it hasn't done as well as it should. But if the album is huge, it doesn't really matter what the single does.
    Definitely a poor choice of lead single. I'm not a fan of Leona at all but I can see that there are far more commercial songs on the album.
    stevo642 wrote: »
    her album is out this week - and she had a 6million debut album (worldwide not just uk lol)- for JLS/Alex the comparisons should be with spirit, and whilst album sales have fallen, they havent fallen that much as leona's rerelease sold 1 million last year - i don't even know if Alex will sell that by xmas, although i suspect JLS def. will - prob wont get near the 2.6m leona did for spirit in UK though

LOL, JLS will not be selling 2.6 million copies of their album. The only reason JLS had such huge sales is because of the 5 different covers. I saw many kids with 5 copies in the HMV queue yesterday. I'd say you could half their sales to get a realistic view of how much they would have sold without multi-buys. Shame on their record company.
  • _Zd_Phoenix__Zd_Phoenix_ Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I think they could have gone for a better single off the album, I'm not keen on happy - although it doesn't help that the song feels as though it's been around for ages already.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,645
    Forum Member
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    Kind of inbetween topics, but isn't it sad that albums don't sell as much anymore? I mean we'll probably never see anyone beat Thriller in terms of sales, It's crazy. (Thriller is probably a bad example cause NO ONE would ever beat that ha, but in terms of tens of millions). Has anyone in the past decade sold more than 50 million albums by the way? (With ONE album)
    Does it really matter? To us punters, I mean (obviously it does to the record companies). I don't get this obsession with numbers. If I like an album or a single, I will like it just as much whether or not it sells more copies than another album or another single.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they could have gone for a better single off the album, I'm not keen on happy - although it doesn't help that the song feels as though it's been around for ages already.

I agree wierd wierd song choice - she could have had much better ones although she could only have had 1 week at no.1 anyway because of the x factor charity single - so i don;t think it really matters, and if she does 150k album sales plus, then i don;t think it would have had much of an impact - but yea, she will have to do better with up coming releases, and like alexandra burke, i expect echo/overcome to have real longevity, and be bobbing in and out top 10 all next year, JLS i think will be moving on to album no2 quite quickly as they release singles at a much faster rate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Does it really matter? To us punters, I mean (obviously it does to the record companies). I don't get this obsession with numbers. If I like an album or a single, I will like it whether or not it sells more copies than another album or another single.

I guess not really, I just think it's mental how much people don't go out and get albums anymore. It's probably more to do with the fact there's more artists accessible so people aren't restrained in their tastes, PLUS the fact of illegal downloading.
    It's just strange to think that how many people there are in the world that only 6 million people bought Spirit, yet I bet at least double that have some songs off the album. (Eg. Just downloading the tracks they want from iTunes or amazon)

Obviously it's not just with Spirit, anyone would kill for those sales in the market today. GaGa hasn't even sold that much and I'd say she's WAY more popular. Nothing really adds up in the music industry anymore haha.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,129
    Forum Member
    LMAO at this thread! It's so silly, and just a hive for the unofficial members of the 'Leona Lewis Deprediciation Thread'. Seriously guys, #2 isn't a flop and 85.5k sales isn't either. Yes it underperformed, but it was up against the biggest band in the world right now plus, even though Happy is an amazing track with great substance, it is as comercial as a bruised banana, so to sell what it did was incredible. The album is going to sell bucketloads mind you, care to start up a thread then?
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Relative to all the hype and promo she's had for what seems like months now, I'd say her sales must be considered a huge disappointment. If Echo sells well, that will go a long way to redressing that.

We shall have to wait and see.
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    BEP sales are actually amazing considering that the track entered the charts in October. The Xfactor performance did wonders for them. Leona's sales are healthy and how on earth is #2 a flop :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could've gone either way. She was ahead of BEP practically all week in the midweeks, but they just edged it. Hardly a 'flop'.
  • TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it really matter? To us punters, I mean (obviously it does to the record companies). I don't get this obsession with numbers. If I like an album or a single, I will like it just as much whether or not it sells more copies than another album or another single.

Of course it matter to us punters because sales are what determines whether we get more singles or albums and how much promotion an artist gets - the bigger they are the bigger the promotion.

For Leona at this point realistically it shouldnt affect her promotion but if her singles continue to fail to sell expected numbers it will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Floppy' :p It didn't do as well as expected/hoped for so it's disappointing, but it's certainly not a flop either. It's #2 and the sales are decent. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it matter to us punters because sales are what determines whether we get more singles or albums and how much promotion an artist gets - the bigger they are the bigger the promotion.

For Leona at this point realistically it shouldnt affect her promotion but if her singles continue to fail to sell expected numbers it will.

Even though you're not a fan thanks for summing that up better than I did haha :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i do agree with that, and its true for all of them, of course the album is what really matters, as thats what makes them money, and i think she needs to sell about 100k for it to be ok, as second albums always do worse than the first, although if this was her first album, i would be worried with anything less than 150/200 - as your first album 9/10 always sells more than your second, so its a really lousy indication if you only sell a couple of hundred thousand with a massive x factor launch, happy could of got to number 1 selling 200k if the album bombed, it would be a huge deal, the other way around is much less severe, as single don't make big money - albums do make a lot lot more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sazaleeno wrote: »
    LMAO at this thread! It's so silly, and just a hive for the unofficial members of the 'Leona Lewis Deprediciation Thread'. Seriously guys, #2 isn't a flop and 85.5k sales isn't either. Yes it underperformed, but it was up against the biggest band in the world right now plus, even though Happy is an amazing track with great substance, it is as comercial as a bruised banana, so to sell what it did was incredible. The album is going to sell bucketloads mind you, care to start up a thread then?

Love how you run in with your accusations :D Read the first post again i asked a question - didn't declare it was a flop.
    I solemnly promise if Echo is a smash hit or a flop will start a thread unless of course someone beats me to it. Actually will start the thread now if it pleases you.
  • ll_macll_mac Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could've gone either way. She was ahead of BEP practically all week in the midweeks, but they just edged it. Hardly a 'flop'.

Just edged it? They outsold her by 15,000.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona's still done well to get to number 2, and will have more great hits in the years to come. I mean you can't call someone a 'flop' just because they didn't get to number 1, when you look at the single that's sold more copies than anything this year. ;)
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,645
    Forum Member

My post was made in reply to a post stating how sad it is that no album will probably ever sell as many copies as Thriller. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not bothered. It doesn't make me think Thriller is the best album ever made. It's not my cup of tea regardless of how many copies it has sold.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a flop at all. A number 2 with 85K sold is not a flop in my book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My post was made in reply to a post stating how sad it is that no album will probably ever sell as many copies as Thriller. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not bothered. It doesn't make me think Thriller is the best album ever made. It's not my cup of tea regardless of how many copies it has sold.

Totally agree with you about Thriller - well t aint on my ipod.
    Thiller did also benefit from the change over from vinyl to cd which many did (meaning they picked up kassive di[ thus no one woll sell like those guys
  • CloudyECloudyE Posts: 9,230
    Forum Member
    I find Leona's stuff depressing all round TBH. She is a balladesse, she doesnt have a "Pop" personality and if she and her team do not liven things up pretty soon, her popularity will wain IMO
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Leona is the XF golden girl and this is the first time she didn't get the number 1 after appearing on XF so is this Leona's first official flop? Did Syco get it wrong with the lead single or is Leona's popularity on the wane?

Not a flop in my terms (but not in Simon's :D as it didnt go to no 1 but it is bloody DEPRESSING!

I like Leona and she is outstanding at ballads but I wish she would do more up-tempo stuff - not heard her new album so can anyone tell me if there is any more lively stuff on it?