Options

Be-Ro recipe book

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
I've been using this on a course for general pastry. I'm not sure if it's because of the age of it but it uses marg for the fat ingredient. Couldn't find a date on the book itself.

Do the newer editions still use this or do they use butter or other spread?

If using butter do you use the same quantities?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    No idea on the difference in the recipes now, but I grew up cooking with this book and we always just used to completely interchange marg and butter (if it was for a special occasion/bake sale we'd always use butter). I think I do actually have a new and old version of the book though, will try to dig them out. Mmm the teabread recipe used to be a staple in the house, thank you for the happy reminder :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm

The online version
  • Options
    ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More to the point - where can you still get Be-Ro flour - it is the finest (texture) and the best (IMO).

Having checked the website they seem to be of the opinion it is widely available everywhere, but in my experience it is like hen's teeth.

Last place I got any was B&M in Cleveleys - which is a long way away, and last time I was there they didn't have any either.

I suddenly feel very old as I am using the internet to find the place to buy Be-Ro flour - meh, it is good stuff !!!!
  • Options
    pebbles54pebbles54 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Is it really better then Homepride though? That's the flour I use but if I find any Be-Ro I will buy some and do a taste test! I wish I still had my old Be-Ro recipe book I was given years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not being in to baking i've never really looked in to buying marg or other baking fats. Infact I thought marg was illegal in the UK. It was said on QI that marg wasn't available for sale in the UK.

I looked on mysupermarket and asda sell their own marg.

Couldn't find Be-Ro though. I wonder if it has gone out of business.

btw, you can get the recipe book on eBay for a couple of quid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clunk wrote: »
    More to the point - where can you still get Be-Ro flour - it is the finest (texture) and the best (IMO).

Having checked the website they seem to be of the opinion it is widely available everywhere, but in my experience it is like hen's teeth.

Last place I got any was B&M in Cleveleys - which is a long way away, and last time I was there they didn't have any either.

I suddenly feel very old as I am using the internet to find the place to buy Be-Ro flour - meh, it is good stuff !!!!

My favourite is Lofty Peaks - the co-ops own brand. And I have an old Lofty Peaks recipe book I use too for baking - swiss rolls and Florence cake :) I am a bit of a magpie where old recipe books are concerned, I love the old 50s/60s colour photos and the lovely optimistic and sensible encourageing advice offered - i cant resist rescuing them from junk shops.

anyway, OP - I have a modern Bero book, ( cant find a date but its the 40th edition) and the basic pastry recipe is 50% marg 50% lard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing the book must be pretty old anyway, even the 40th edition. I was just surprised to see marg all over the place as it's commonly thought as the baddest of the bad in fat terms isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think its that old - i bought it in Morrison's a couple of years ago. Its a third A4 booklet ( like an envelope), sold in the baking aisle. having another look for the date.

Yes, marg is horrible. I dont know if its an urban myth or not, but there's a story about an experiment where cockroaches ate everything but wouldnt touch the margarine...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's still may be in print but it may not have been updated for 30 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aha , a date! revised and enlarged edition 2007.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Ro-Flour-Home-Recipes-40th/dp/B001PES33G

inside the back cover it says

For free advice on home baking please write to the Be-ro Kitchen,P O Box 100, Blackburn, BB0 1 GR

might be interesting to ask them about the marg?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the likes of Flora and sorts classed as marg?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure. It's complicated to tell whether they are marge or low-fat spreads.

I read the first page of this thread but then got bored
    http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=14645&highlight=

Looks like marg has to be 80% fat and some of those cooking/baking fats & spreads are 75% so cannot be called marg.
  • Options
    PressgangPressgang Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Clunk wrote: »

Tesco sells Be-Ro!
  • Options
    Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    When the Bero book says margarine I use block Stork margarine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whirliegig wrote: »
    I dont think its that old - i bought it in Morrison's a couple of years ago. Its a third A4 booklet ( like an envelope), sold in the baking aisle. having another look for the date.

Yes, marg is horrible. I dont know if its an urban myth or not, but there's a story about an experiment where cockroaches ate everything but wouldnt touch the margarine...

I bought the same book in morrisons last month. They sell be-ro too :]