Election Manifestos and the BBC

carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
Forum Member
I know we're only a couple of days into Election campaigning so it may yet happen but history tells us that no party will include "what we'll do with the BBC" in their Manifestos.

Now, given the alleged (by the anti-LF/BBC crowd at least) hatred of the LF/BBC and all it stands for* one would have thought that the future of the national Public Service Broadcaster would be a hot topic for inclusion in party Manifestos; especially given that the Charter renewal is only a year away.

(* Yes, I know! Hyperbole and not entirely accurate but you get the idea :-))

I guess what I'm getting at is, would what any party plans to do with the BBC influence your decision whether to vote for them or not?

I don't normally vote but I think I might in this case.

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only ones that I have heard saying anything about the BBC are the SNP who have been making various threats. Probably planning a North Korean style system from the way they are ruling Scotland and want to impose on the rest of the UK.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know we're only a couple of days into Election campaigning so it may yet happen but history tells us that no party will include "what we'll do with the BBC" in their Manifestos.

Now, given the alleged (by the anti-LF/BBC crowd at least) hatred of the LF/BBC and all it stands for* one would have thought that the future of the national Public Service Broadcaster would be a hot topic for inclusion in party Manifestos; especially given that the Charter renewal is only a year away.

(* Yes, I know! Hyperbole and not entirely accurate but you get the idea :-))

I guess what I'm getting at is, would what any party plans to do with the BBC influence your decision whether to vote for them or not?

I don't normally vote but I think I might in this case.

Absolutely it would.

Given that the right-wing are anti-state / anti-public services / anti-public sector and Labour are the opposite, I think we can all hazzard a guess at what each would want to do.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    UKIP's policy document isn't hopeful:
    – We will review the BBC Licence Fee with a view to its reduction. Prosecution of non-payments of the Licence Fee would be taken out of the criminal sphere and made a civil offence.

PC have already published their manifesto. They want to federalise the BBC.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Isn't the Green Policy to make BBC1 show nothing but "approved" documentaries