BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• deeannjaydeeannjay Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    I think the thread title goes back to when the show was announced and no-one knew it would just be 'the musketeers' and people thought it was going to be a straight remake.

Dr Lemay was lovely, such a shame they dumped him, he could have been very useful next series. Never mind.

If IMDb is anything to go by Ed Stoppard, who played Dr Lemay, seems to be quite an in-demand actor right now - perhaps he simply wasn't going to be available for future episodes?
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geek Syndicate are doing an interview with producer Adrian Hodges in the next few weeks. These are usually audio interviews that last a good 40 minutes, so quite a few topics are covered relating to The Musketeers, including hindsight feelings about the latest series and early hints about the next series.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I think the thread title goes back to when the show was announced and no-one knew it would just be 'the musketeers' and people thought it was going to be a straight remake.

Dr Lemay was lovely, such a shame they dumped him, he could have been very useful next series. Never mind.

He was lovely and someone you really liked and routed for. I thought he was a better match for Constance than you know you ;-) but don't listen to me I also thought that Lucie, that Generals sister in the first episode, had more spark with d'Artagnan, so what do I know?

Back to Lemay..My guess is that they had to kill someone we liked as a result of Rocheforts threats and as it was never realistically going to be Constance, Aramis, Anne or the baby, and nobody really cared about poor Margeurite, then Lemay took the fall (or the sword to the neck). Shame though, I agree.
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    Geek Syndicate are doing an interview with producer Adrian Hodges in the next few weeks. These are usually audio interviews that last a good 40 minutes, so quite a few topics are covered relating to The Musketeers, including hindsight feelings about the latest series and early hints about the next series.

Oh, good, Adrian's Geek Syndicate interviews are always interesting and enjoyable, I'll look out for that.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a bit of a shock yesterday; going through some old DVDs with a view to getting rid of some, fast-forwarding through David Tennant's version of Casanova, almost at the end a young Tom Burke appears for all of about 2 minutes as Son of Casanova getting to grips with a scantily clad young lady before shutting the door in his dad's face. I went back a couple of times to make sure it really was him:)
    Forum Member
    I had a bit of a shock yesterday; going through some old DVDs with a view to getting rid of some, fast-forwarding through David Tennant's version of Casanova, almost at the end a young Tom Burke appears for all of about 2 minutes as Son of Casanova getting to grips with a scantily clad young lady before shutting the door in his dad's face. I went back a couple of times to make sure it really was him:)

Oh I loved that and yes, you're right it is Tom Burke.

He plays a pretty hideous character and whilst it was not a big part it's quite pivotal because it was by observing him and his lack of morals (that 'scantily clad young lady' was also his half sister) that Casanova (sort of) realized the error of his ways.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of felt for Rochefort in the end. This was a man who was systematically, mentally and physically tortured for years. It's quite terrible really to contemplate what the Spanish did to him. I think they tried to explore that slightly but it was all very much the 'good guys' clapping themselves on the back for defeating the evil Rochefort for it to come across very well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member

That's great news. His interviews in the past have been really informative. Perhaps this time he might give some indication whether the third series will be the last. This seems likely at the moment, but I'm still hoping that it won't be. I'd be happy if it went on for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    I kind of felt for Rochefort in the end. This was a man who was systematically, mentally and physically tortured for years. It's quite terrible really to contemplate what the Spanish did to him. I think they tried to explore that slightly but it was all very much the 'good guys' clapping themselves on the back for defeating the evil Rochefort for it to come across very well.

I agree that hIs sufferings must have been unimaginable. I think they tried to acknowledge what the Spanish did to him in the conversation with Vargas. In his death scene, the mood was sombre. I didn't sense any jubilation, just relief that his plans had been thwarted and that the queen had been saved. They also offered him the chance to surrender, but he was determined to fight to the death. For me, he had gone too far to receive any sympathy, whatever the cause of his actions.
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deeannjay wrote: »
    If IMDb is anything to go by Ed Stoppard, who played Dr Lemay, seems to be quite an in-demand actor right now - perhaps he simply wasn't going to be available for future episodes?

Yeah but what they gonna' do with a headless actor.
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure Constance is the reason for the distinct lack of sexual frisson between her and d'Artagnan. I think it's the way d'Artagnan's written. He's meant to be a boy/man trying to be accepted by the proper grown-ups., which is the way Luke Pasqualino plays him. You can't lump such a character with a romance unless it's with a girl even younger and more naive than himself. Giving him a feisty older woman who's been around the block with one husband, has connotations that aren't exactly romantic.

Athos and Milady, though, are a perfect fit. You can totally believe that they'd rip each other's clothes off.

(Add in Aiden Turner and that four-poster bed...is it hot in here, or what?)
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Oh I loved that and yes, you're right it is Tom Burke.

He plays a pretty hideous character and whilst it was not a big part it's quite pivotal because it was by observing him and his lack of morals (that 'scantily clad young lady' was also his half sister) that Casanova (sort of) realized the error of his ways.

I sort of got the plot at that stage when Casanova senior suddenly realised what sort of monster he'd created. Mind you, seeing Tom Burke younger and without the facial hair is about on a par with seeing Santiago, very much younger and without facial hair in the one about Julius Caesar...(can't remember if it was Julius Caesar or Empire). Wow:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's great news. His interviews in the past have been really informative. Perhaps this time he might give some indication whether the third series will be the last. This seems likely at the moment, but I'm still hoping that it won't be. I'd be happy if it went on for years.

I've got a feeling that either S3 will turn out to be the last - Maimie McCoy and her "3 year contract" confirmation, poor viewing figures on BBC1 and Adrian Hodges saying that d'Artagnan will become his "heroic journey" in S3 - or we'll get a fourth series but we'll be missing one or two of the current main cast, with Milady at the top of the list for the chop.

I believe Tom Burke has already expressed the possibility of wanting to move on after S3 because he thinks long-running dramas can become "parodies" of themselves and if Athos had to remain attached to Milady indefinitely, you can see where his concerns are coming from - as an actor, he'll want fresh challenges eventually.
    Forum Member
    I sort of got the plot at that stage when Casanova senior suddenly realised what sort of monster he'd created. Mind you, seeing Tom Burke younger and without the facial hair is about on a par with seeing Santiago, very much younger and without facial hair in the one about Julius Caesar...(can't remember if it was Julius Caesar or Empire). Wow:)

It was "Empire" and he looked about 16 in it, although in reality I think he was 24/25! He was joined in the cast by Vincent Regan, the Duke of Savoy from S1 of The Musketeers. But the actor who really had me scratching my head was the guy who played Cicero. I couldn't for the life of me work out where I'd seen him before until I googled the cast and discovered it was Michael Byrne, who turns up from time to time as Gail's Dad Ted in Corrie!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone interested in Luke, he's appearing in ITV's Lorraine show tomorrow morning.

It's not listed on the website but Gaby Roslyn definately mentioned his name, along with the word Musketeers....
    Forum Member
    I've got a feeling that either S3 will turn out to be the last - Maimie McCoy and her "3 year contract" confirmation, poor viewing figures on BBC1 and Adrian Hodges saying that d'Artagnan will become his "heroic journey" in S3 - or we'll get a fourth series but we'll be missing one or two of the current main cast, with Milady at the top of the list for the chop.

I believe Tom Burke has already expressed the possibility of wanting to move on after S3 because he thinks long-running dramas can become "parodies" of themselves and if Athos had to remain attached to Milady indefinitely, you can see where his concerns are coming from - as an actor, he'll want fresh challenges eventually.

I too think that series three will definitely be the last. Still, if they know or suspect that now it may be that at least we will get a satisfactory ending unlike poor old Atlantis fans.

Due to twitter I think rumours abound that series three will take place three/four years hence. Only a rumour, but it would make some sense.

At least then we would have seen Aramis pay his penance (if he is to re join The Musketeers) and hopefully it would avoid all of the exposition we got over Rochefort with a new adversary because the villain could already be there, as it were. I liked Rochefort but he didn't half take up a lot of time to establish especially as I always sort of knew that he wouldn't make it till the end.

Also Milady will have been gone long enough to snare another husband and baby king whatshisname will be five which could mean curtains for King Louis. Not that I necessarily dislike the King, and the performance is fabulous but if done right, his death and it's effect could be interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S2 definately spent too much time establishing Rochefort and too much time on the court / guest characters generally, I want more Musketeers in S3.

And a bit more of the humour from S1.

I wonder if Cardinal Mazarin will be in place in S3? He's a character from the book and Richelieu's real-life successor I believe.
    Forum Member
    S2 definately spent too much time establishing Rochefort and too much time on the court / guest characters generally, I want more Musketeers in S3.

And a bit more of the humour from S1.

Agreed, to both. Oh, and a bit less of Constance being perfect and right about bloody everything wouldn't go amiss either.
    I wonder if Cardinal Mazarin will be in place in S3? He's a character from the book and Richelieu's real-life successor I believe.

Cardinal Mazarin was indeed a fascinating character and I can see that on the face of it he would make a good addition. The problem with him though is that some of his real story has already been included in the plot and attributed to other characters. With a rumoured affair (and some say child) with Anne, and heavily influencing the court both Aramis and Rochefort have played Mazarin in a way, so he'd have to be somewhat different to the real man.

I can't for instance, see them wanting Anne to have another lover and 'bad man manipulating the royals' would also be treading old ground. So what would they do with him that's different? Or would it be better to bring in a new villain?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Agreed, to both. Oh, and a bit less of Constance being perfect and right about bloody everything wouldn't go amiss either.

Cardinal Mazarin was indeed a fascinating character and I can see that on the face of it he would make a good addition. The problem with him though is that some of his real story has already been included in the plot and attributed to other characters. With a rumoured affair (and some say child) with Anne, and heavily influencing the court both Aramis and Rochefort have played Mazarin in a way, so he'd have to be somewhat different to the real man.

I can't for instance, see them wanting Anne to have another lover and 'bad man manipulating the royals' would also be treading old ground. So what would they do with him that's different? Or would it be better to bring in a new villain?

We definitely don't want anymore 'Royals being manipulated' storylines, focus on the Musketeers as soliders instead.

As for Mazarin, the real life man did employ the real-life d'Artagnan on one or two occassions, so there's storyline potential there if the producers can't use him in any Anne-related storylines because it would be too similar to the Rochefort / Louis / Anne storryline of S2..I believe Adrian Hodges mentioned him as a 'possible' candidate for S3 when he did his last Geek Syndicate interview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to international sales of British shows abroad, The Musketeers sits alongside Doctor Who, Downton Abbey and Sherlock as THE biggest sellers of 2014.

No wonder S3 was achieved, despite low viewing figures on BBC1..
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 1 was the better of the two. Series two got a bit cheesy towards the end.

How on earth are we supposed to believe Milady has reformed? It's amazingingly one dimensional that we can be so manipulated into believeing that their sexual chemistry is so strong, that Athos would contemplate going back to her, a murdress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Series 1 was the better of the two. Series two got a bit cheesy towards the end.

How on earth are we supposed to believe Milady has reformed? It's amazingingly one dimensional that we can be so manipulated into believeing that their sexual chemistry is so strong, that Athos would contemplate going back to her, a murdress.

I actually prefer S1 to S2 as well, towards the end of S2 I realised that I really was missing the more 'fun' aspect of S1 and it was actually the lack of smiling from Captain Treville in the WHOLE of S2 and Dr Lemay's execution that reminded me how serious the show had become. Obviously S1 had its dark moments and it still killed a lot of guest characters but overall, it had more charm and more Musketeers.

I honestly think the shows' producers spent too much of S2 on the female characters, making the Muskereers seem less important somehow. Peope wanting Milady & Athos back together and wanting Aramis and Anne to have 'happily ever after' is overshadowing some fan forums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geek Syndicate's interview with Adrian Hodges is now up.

He says absolutely nothing about S3, partly because he's stepping down as showrunner / producer, which is a bit of a surprise. He won't rule out never retuning though, which might be a hint that S4 is a possibility.

It's a good interview regarding S2 though.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually prefer S1 to S2 as well, towards the end of S2 I realised that I really was missing the more 'fun' aspect of S1 and it was actually the lack of smiling from Captain Treville in the WHOLE of S2 and Dr Lemay's execution that reminded me how serious the show had become. Obviously S1 had its dark moments and it still killed a lot of guest characters but overall, it had more charm and more Musketeers.

I honestly think the shows' producers spent too much of S2 on the female characters, making the Muskereers seem less important somehow. Peope wanting Milady & Athos back together and wanting Aramis and Anne to have 'happily ever after' is overshadowing some fan forums.

I also think that Peter C. as the Cardinal was unsurpasssed as the ultimate baddie. I sorely missed him. And there was much more cohesion in S1, you knew who everybody was. In S2 it was all over the place.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »

I never got the impression he was contemplating going back to her. There's no way he'd leave The Musketeers - they made that clear in the episode where he went home again and gave over his lands to the villagers. In the finale I think he was trying to get to her to say goodbye.