Options

Films still not out on DVD

SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
Forum Member
After finding that several films I have (on tape) have had no DVD release I was wondering if there are any really important movies that have still not made their appearance on the round shiny disk yet?

I am also wondering if the 'updating' of popular films that are already out on DVD to Blu-Ray format will slow the process of the re-issue of these forgotten films further...

Ian

Comments

• Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been interested in importing R1 DVD's from US so these only refer to UK releases.

Funny Farm (imo one of Chevy Chases funniest movies)
    Innocent Blood (Great Mafia/Vampire comedy from John Landis)
    The Silent Partner (Great Thriller starring Elliot Gould and Christopher Plummer)
    The Dove (as stated in the dove thread)
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly Creatures, which is arguably Peter Jackson's best film, is not out in the UK, which is quite bizarre.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for 'Hawks' with Timothy Dalton and Anthony Edwards.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly all of Ken Russell's classic films have been criminally restrained from DVD, including The Music Lovers, The Devils, The Boy Friend and Savage Messiah.
  • Options
    merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one that's annoying me is the 1958 musical 'tom thumb'. they used to show it on tv every Christmas, really early morning, so I could watch and sing along with the children opening presents. Love that film, the yawning man song, just brilliant. Even had Peter Sellers as a baddie.

They haven't shown it anywhere for a few years now, and it's only on dvd in region 1.:mad:
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Heavenly Creatures, which is arguably Peter Jackson's best film, is not out in the UK, which is quite bizarre.

there's an R2 version listed on amazon .
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    merlinsmum wrote: »
    The one that's annoying me is the 1958 musical 'tom thumb'. they used to show it on tv every Christmas, really early morning, so I could watch and sing along with the children opening presents. Love that film, the yawning man song, just brilliant. Even had Peter Sellers as a baddie.

They haven't shown it anywhere for a few years now, and it's only on dvd in region 1.:mad:

haha, I loved the yawning man song.

I also remember falling in love with the female lead when I was about 10.
  • Options
    PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for:

The Addams Family (1991)
    In the mouth of madness
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had the Tom Thumb dvd for many years and its a delight.
    Instead of wistfully waiting for a UK release why not hack your dvd player.
    There's not that many that can't be hacked .

If you have a branded player like Panasonic or Sony these can also be hacked with special remotes that cost about a tenner on ebay.

There is no excuse not to be multiregion

Even Bluray players can be cheaply hacked for dvd - Bluray itself MR is a bit more complicated.
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PheebShirl wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for:

The Addams Family (1991)
    In the mouth of madness

Wow! I can't believe that never got released!
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's an R2 version listed on amazon .

It's Dutch.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Mouth of Madness has been out in R1 for aeons. Are people still restricting themselves to one region only? Innocent Blood also out in widecreen in R4 and pan and scan in R1.

Top of my wish list are William Cameron Menzies’ "The Maze". Ib Melchior’s "The Time Travellers" and William Castle’s "Project X". Two others on that same list have recently been released - George Pal’s "The Power" with George Hamilton is available on-demand in the States and "Crack in the World" with Dana Andrews has finally had an official release.

Love the old sci-fi!
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing Lasts Forever.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    A great Lee Marvin thriller called Point Blank is still to be released here.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking for Day For Night by Francois Truffaut for years and just noticed on imdb that it's unavailable for legal reasons. Apparently Warner released it DVD just before the DVD rights expired and the director's heirs took Warner to court for "counterfeiting" because they carried on selling it after the rights expired. I couldn't track down any reports of why it still isn't available - maybe the court case is still rumbling on?
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    In the Mouth of Madness has been out in R1 for aeons. Are people still restricting themselves to one region only? Innocent Blood also out in widecreen in R4 and pan and scan in R1.

Top of my wish list are William Cameron Menzies’ "The Maze". Ib Melchior’s "The Time Travellers" and William Castle’s "Project X". Two others on that same list have recently been released - George Pal’s "The Power" with George Hamilton is available on-demand in the States and "Crack in the World" with Dana Andrews has finally had an official release.

Love the old sci-fi!

The Time Travellers has been out on dvd in the US for many years although its on one of those dodgy public domain lables.

Quality is as expected but it was the best I could find.

Major problem now is some of the less popular films now being released in the US as Manufactured On Demand titles so they are harder to get and more expensive.

Hammer classic Crescendo is out on the Warner Archive as is Irwin Allens One Hour to Doomsday , Hanging By A Thread and loads more.

Monte Carlo or Bust (under its US title) and Houdini also released in the US as retailer exclusives but these usually get onto Amazon Marketplace eventually.

Hammers The Man Who Could Cheat Death and Amicus classic The Skull also released like this.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Mann's "The Keep" (1983)
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crack In The World took over 45 years to come on DVD.
    I had a bootleg copy which was like VHS.
    But now its out on region 1.

The copy is really good to for an old film.
    It was realised in 2010 :)
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid staying up late I watched and enjoyed a film about a couple being chased through the city streets.

That kind of concept lends itself brilliantly to late night TV.

I recently learned it's called Final Jeopardy.

I'd like to see that again.

Here it is on unofficial dvd-r. http://www.ioffer.com/i/final-jeopardy-1985-richard-thomas-mary-crosby-172858555?source=eisi

I wonder if I should buy it. hmmm...
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a few I'd like that haven't been released on R2 or even R1 outside of a boxset.

Stand Up Virgin Soldiers
    Captain Clegg
    The Old Dark House (60's remake)
    Rosie Dixon: Night Nurse
    The Ups And Downs Of A Handyman
    The Beastmaster 2 & 3
    Psycomania
    Wild Geese II
    The People that Time Forgot

There'a also quite a few Hammer vampire films that are hard to get hold of and some not out yet.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »

There'a also quite a few Hammer vampire films that are hard to get hold of and some not out yet.

They should do a box set of Hammer films, I'm sure it would sell well.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want The Addams Family :(
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was The Addams Family. Both Addams Family films have been shown in HD on Channel 4 and on Sky Movies, so hopefully a BluRay release for the two of them is not too far away. The sequel is the only one available on DVD strangely.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Time after time...Malcolm McDowell as HG Wells and his time machine and jack the ripper..only on region 1 though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ghost Dad starring Bill Cosby... can't understand why its not out in the UK.