Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Each fillm only has one official release titles, but do have a few "also knows as"s. The titles are:

Die Hard
    Die Hard 2
    Die Hard: With A Vengance
    Live Free or Die Hard
    A Good Day to Die Hard

As an aside, the Die Hard film was based on a novel called "Nothing Lasts Foerver" which sounds more like a Bond film to me.

and yet the answer given on the show for the fourth movie was "4.0"

:confused:
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    I think it was 4.0 internationally and Live Free or Die Hard in the US.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to be a great rapport between the teams and VCM tonight. Pity one of them is out by the end of it.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise we had already seen all the teams, it feels like 6 teams but I'm guessing there are 8?

Anyway, good show today. I am not getting any better at it though lol
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    So happy for Suda Perera (and the rest of her team.) :)
  • capehorncapehorn Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I'm certain I've seen that '5's category (Ben Folds...) before on one of the online playable walls.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I should've known the Mambo No 5 one.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I should've known the Mambo No 5 one.
    Why did she say Christine Keeler was "close", when it was nothing like the right answer and derived from completely the wrong idea? It sounded like she was close to giving them a point.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Why did she say Christine Keeler was "close",

Because she could have called herself Tina (but didn't, as it happens).
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must record for posterity that for the first time ever yesterday I got the answer from the first clue; the Chris Chataway - Roger Bannister one.

Yes, I know none of you care, but please humour me. :)

(It helps if you were around at the time of the events. :)).
  • saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must record for posterity that for the first time ever yesterday I got the answer from the first clue; the Chris Chataway - Roger Bannister one.

Well done :D
    I didn't get it so I am just jealous!
    Although I am also not old enough to remember... :p
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too! Me too! Well done both of us!

I was on a roll last night - two I got after a couple of clues:
    Round 1: First messages via a new invention
    Round 2: Galactic centre - sun - (earth) - moon

However I had never heard of the word copacetic, so I guess that sends me to the bottom of the class. :(

Edit: Oh - it's another American import, like Hallowe'en, so I'm excused.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guessed it too because Chattaway and Bannister are inextricably linked in that achievement, although I thought it might be the finishing order in the first sub 4 minute race.

And their conferring was amazing. Never heard of Chattaway, thought Laszlo Tabori might have invented the Biro. :D

The captain of the other team was a bit clueless though, always managing to buzz in just a fraction too late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Round 2: Galactic centre - sun - (earth) - moon
    Wasn't that a recycled question? I'm sure they've had it or a very similar one on a previous episode.
  • si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very smug when I got the Delia question right on the first clue
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It was a good wall with the 100m as there were plenty of options.

I think the best team scraped through.
  • xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guessed it too because Chattaway and Bannister are inextricably linked in that achievement, although I thought it might be the finishing order in the first sub 4 minute race.

And their conferring was amazing. Never heard of Chattaway, thought Laszlo Tabori might have invented the Biro. :D

The captain of the other team was a bit clueless though, always managing to buzz in just a fraction too late.

I think that was quite deliberate as they didn't have an answer. He appeared somewhat humourless, which tends to stick out like a sore thumb on the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    si29uk wrote: »
    I was very smug when I got the Delia question right on the first clue
    I got it on omelette pans, but the team didn't seem to have any idea. Do these people walk around with their eyes and ears shut? They might be good at dredging up the obscure stuff but anything obvious seems to have them completely stumped.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the Game of Thrones one immediately, 5 points to me, because I'm a huge fan of the show and the books. :)
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Edit: Oh - it's another American import, like Hallowe'en, so I'm excused.
    Actually the word Halloween is Scottish.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I got it on omelette pans, but the team didn't seem to have any idea. Do these people walk around with their eyes and ears shut? They might be good at dredging up the obscure stuff but anything obvious seems to have them completely stumped.

You are aware that there will be stuff which you think is obscure but other people think is obvious ... or is that in itself not blindingly obvious?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are aware that there will be stuff which you think is obscure but other people think is obvious ... or is that in itself not blindingly obvious?
    Of course, but do you accept that some things are definitely more obscure than others? That omelette pan thing was hard to avoid at the time, and Chris Chattaway was certainly very well known, and I am surprised that people selected for their exceptional knowledge and quizzing abilities would not have recognised either.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Actually the word Halloween is Scottish.

The Wiki page on Halloween is up to 14 pages of archives! The actual article is barely longer than a couple of pages (and about the same again for the list of references).
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wiki page on Halloween is up to 14 pages of archives! The actual article is barely longer than a couple of pages (and about the same again for the list of references).

I thought Jeff's comment was he hadn't heard of the word copacetic, but that was because the word was an American import just like the word Halloween.

I merely pointed out that whilst copacetic might be an American word Halloween was not, being Scottish in origin.

(In a similar way that calling the season Fall isn't really an Americanisation as it's the word used in England when the pilgrims left so they took it with them. Whilst they were away we changed to using Autumn whilst they kept Fall. So "the Fall" is in fact more traditional than Autumn)