eHarmony

belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks, long time no see. I bloody hate the new layout of Digitalspy and really struggle with the huge adverts and stuff so I've barely visited for absolutely ages.

I just have to say something, though, and I'm aware I'll probably start a gargantuan row. BUT.

Since I started writing for 30 Dates, I've been lucky enough to get to know - mostly via the internet, of course - an absolutely great bunch of people. A bit like how this thread has also brought similar people together, the 30 Dates blog is pretty awesome at showing young single people that it's OK to be on your own, dating, coupled up, gay, straight, whatever...but that the most important thing is to be true to yourself, learn about yourself and be reflective about yourself. Above all, though, it helps to have a network of people behind you, helping you.

What doesn't help us in this frankly pretty cruel society is being bitchy and judgmental.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but some of the comments on here about Miss 29 have just been a bit unnecessary...particularly because none of you actually know her or anything about what she is like. Words are incredibly hurtful and yes, whilst it's her choice to "put herself out there", as such, she has opened up about some deeply personal topics in the name of trying to inspire and help readers who might feel a bit lost in the dating world.

It's all a bit Mean Girls and really unnecessary. Some of the stuff that has been said by people on here I can tell you now is not only bitchy but a) untrue b) out of context c) wildly inflamed and d) simply wrong. From a perspective that none of you are able to have because I actually am an experimental dater, I can say categorically that some sweeping statements made about Miss 29's character and motivations are just wrong. And the "evidence" cited for these opinions has often been misconstrued or taken out of context.

It's difficult writing this because the nature of a blog is such that people will always form opinions about it and its writer. That's just life. But if you have something to say or issues to raise, why not just comment on the blog/entry at the time? The way this has come out feels/looks like a bit of a witch hunt, dragging up loads of stuff. It means that the recipient of these comments etc - in this case, Miss 29 - is sort of flooded by a load of personal attacks at once, which is horrid for self-esteem. That is never nice. Whatever you think of someone, they are at the end of the day a human being.

I'm sorry if this causes a huge row. I just felt that, as I know Miss 29 now, I had to say something. She really is a lovely person with no other agenda than a) find someone special (like the rest of us!) and b) perhaps help others along the way.

Happy New Year, folks. Let's be kind to one another, yeah? Thanks to those of you on this thread who were less judgmental. Make love not war.

xx

Comments

• belombbelomb Posts: 3,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oopsies, wrong thread. Ignore that on here. Can't edit now. Will post in the right place.