Cost of Children's Parties

silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
I'm looking in to the cost of running children's parties. Are there any mums out there who have arranged parties for their offspring and can tell me just how much they are prepared to pay for hire of a hall/large room, entertainment, food and drink, prezzies, balloons etc. Roughly how many children do you invite? :D

Many thanks :)

Comments

• frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Kids parties are mostly for the younger age group. Mine stopped going to these sort of parties aged 6.

You would need to price it per head, and so do different packages too.

I would suggest joining Netmums for example and asking this question there as I'm sure you'll get loads of feedback.

Last time I did a party for my daughter at age 5 it cost £150 just for the entertainer and hall hire alone. Food on top of that we did ourselves to keep costs down, same with the party bags. So you'll have about £150 to start with and then have to price food and party bags per head and then work it out from there. Don't forget your insurance and CRB checks.

Good luck!
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just buy a bouncy castle, That should do the trick.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine held his kid's party at home and invited the Snake Man, who brought along all sorts of interesting reptiles and whatnot. The kids adored the snakes, especially the huge python, while the parents lined the walls.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    I'm looking in to the cost of running children's parties. Are there any mums out there who have arranged parties for their offspring and can tell me just how much they are prepared to pay for hire of a hall/large room, entertainment, food and drink, prezzies, balloons etc. Roughly how many children do you invite? :D

We had a party for our 2 year old a week or so ago.

Apparently though, I'm not allowed to answer your questions, as I'm a dad and not a mum.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    It my sons 6th birthday party on Sunday. We are having it at home with 15 kids. The costs break down as:

Entertainer: £120
    Food (home prepared): About £15
    Goodies (pass the parcel, party bags): About £15
    Cake/decorations: About £10

So £160 ish all in.

Previous years we have gone to a softplay and its been about about the same cost overall.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not prepared to fork out any money whilst child is so young (2 soon)

Sorry Huge, my little one has no clue what is going on and until he does I am not having a party :cry:

The reptile man sounds fab, I might hire him just for my own amusement.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that was the sort of party that either of my kids would enjoy then I would pay around £8 a head for it, and I would give the birthday child a restriction of inviting 20 kids only.

That kind of party is easy to hold at home though plus its cheaper to do it at home and pay for a cleaner to come round and tidy up after you.

It would have to offering something spectacular for me to consider paying to host it elsewhere.

My daughter's 3rd birthday party earlier this year had around 28 kids running round our house and the outside space, lots of entertainment, lots of food and cost me no more than £40.

Next year she's getting a £400 party but it's a go-kart party which is something that she's incredibly passionate about so I don't mind spending out for it.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paying for a kids party?

last time I looked childrens games such as pass the parcel, pin the tail on a donkey, and so forth were free to parents who are not unimaginative lazy sods who see a kids party as a chance to drink wine at lunch?

how did we ever win a freaking war?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How old is the child? There's a world of difference between a party for 2 year olds and for teenagers.
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    paying for a kids party?

last time I looked childrens games such as pass the parcel, pin the tail on a donkey, and so forth were free to parents who are not unimaginative lazy sods who see a kids party as a chance to drink wine at lunch?

Parties have never been free.
    Pass the parcel - £1 main prize, £1 wrapping paper for inner layers (newspaper for outer layers), plus sweets for in between layers, sellotape
    Pin the tail on the donkey - Cost of large sheet of paper if you are creative, add on cost of printer ink if you can't draw yourself
    Party food - even cheap sandwiches and squash cost monet
    Cake - homemade simple cake with candles is at least £5

For the OP:
    Hall hire tends to be between £30 and 360 round here, but depends on the area.
    Entertainment - Party games and prizes allow £10, paid entertainment varies a lot from about £75 for an hour up to hundreds
    Food - I tend to allow £2 per kid for decent party food. If you have the facilities cheap pizzas, oven chips and fishfingers/chicken nuggets etc go down well
    Party bags - I allow £2 per bag

As for numbers, if you are running your own party, the more kids the cheaper it works out per head, but the more stressfull it is. One year we had 45 kids, never again!
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paying for a kids party?

When did you last look, 1960? And who said anything about drinking wine?? Talk about making stuff up to fit into your weird, narrow-minded viewpoint!
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    We had a party for our 2 year old a week or so ago.

Apparently though, I'm not allowed to answer your questions, as I'm a dad and not a mum.

Oh dear!! Sorry about that, Hugh! I did mean parents in general. :D
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Huge, my little one has no clue what is going on and until he does I am not having a party :cry:

You don't have to apologise to me for not giving your son a birthday party! :D

My son DID have a clue what was going on and absolutely bloody loved it! As did the other kids who were there.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paying for a kids party?

As a child of the '70s, I understand where you're coming from. I went to umpteen parties, and not one was held outside the home and no-one hired an entertainer (did entertainers even exist then?!) Always had a great time. I don't think there were ever more than 20 kids though. Times change, huh? ;-)
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the middle of organising my son's 5th birthday party at our local leisure centre / softplay area. An hour and 45 minutes (an hour softplay, 45 mins for food etc.) comes in at £9 a head. They provide the food, we have to sort cake, decorations, party bags, any games (pass the parcel etc.).

I'd far rather pay a little bit more for someone to basically do the lot, with us just providing the cake. Pre-done party bags alone would be worth paying for....they're a complete pain in the arse to sort out.

Last year's party in our other local softplay place, claimed to provide staff who'd run party games if we provided the prizes. So we spent the evening before the party wrapping pass the parcel things. Turned out to be a complete waste of time - the staff "running" the party were completely useless, they had no idea how to keep 10 4 year olds entertained, they didn't even seem to be too sure what pass the parcel was all about. If the OP can do that and the party bags, I reckon she's on to a winner.

ETA: We're looking at somewhere between 12 and 15 kids for this year's party, aged between 2 and 6, with one 11 year old.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Party bags? It was a long time ago but I don't really remember these - at most we would get something like one or two of those long modelling balloons to take home (rare occasions an actual floating helium one). We turned up because our parents said we had to, not because we were paid :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paying for a kids party?

Nice. Trust me, your kids did NOT enjoy those parties....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice. Trust me, your kids did NOT enjoy those parties....
    Depends - I went to a lot of parties like that and the enjoyment was from being with all those people (and relatives rarely seen) because it was a day for kids and for that one day we could all get away with just about anything. Except for breaking stuff and knocking things over, those weren't always popular with the adults...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Party bags? It was a long time ago but I don't really remember these - at most we would get something like one or two of those long modelling balloons to take home (rare occasions an actual floating helium one). We turned up because our parents said we had to, not because we were paid :p

It's past time to do away with party bags! A couple of quids worth of plastic tat that's going to break within a couple of hours? Please, just save your money.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Party bags? It was a long time ago but I don't really remember these - at most we would get something like one or two of those long modelling balloons to take home (rare occasions an actual floating helium one).
    In my day, usually the mums put together a little bag with cake & sweets, and maybe a balloon. We rarely left a party empty-handied. They weren't total cheapskates back then LOL.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    A friend of mine held his kid's party at home and invited the Snake Man, who brought along all sorts of interesting reptiles and whatnot. The kids adored the snakes, especially the huge python, while the parents lined the walls.

Have it at home if you have a big enough room. Children love playing games like ''what's The Time, Mr. Wolf?', Pass The Parcel', 'Blind Man's Buff'' and so on. Food doesn't cost much and they have a great time. Get a couple of other parents to help supervise and have a great time.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »
    I'd far rather pay a little bit more for someone to basically do the lot, with us just providing the cake. Pre-done party bags alone would be worth paying for....they're a complete pain in the arse to sort out.

http://www.allaboutpartybags.co.uk/list/111/Prefilled_Party_Bags_and_Boxes.html
    http://www.littletreasurespartybags.co.uk/
    http://www.partybagworld.co.uk/tab/81/category/163/PreFilledPartyBags.aspx
    http://www.thecuriouscaterpillar.co.uk/pre-filled-paper-party-bags.html

A quick google for 'filled party bags' and there are lots of options :)
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my day, usually the mums put together a little bag with cake & sweets, and maybe a balloon. We rarely left a party empty-handied. They weren't total cheapskates back then LOL.
    Thinking about it now, we probably did have those too but on a day when too much cake and too many sweets were already involved, it was the stuff that lasted more than another 30 seconds that stuck in the mind!

Edit: and probably a case of divvying up all the leftovers more than anything else
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    paying for a kids party?

What a bizarre reply. :confused: