2014-2015 Television Season - Your thoughts so far?

LMLM Posts: 63,473
Forum Member
✭✭
Nearly six months into the television season, I decided to do a thread to see what people think of what has aired so far.

I'll do myself of course. The main higlights, which won't include everything I watch.

What I Have Liked
Empire
How To Get Away With Murder
Blackish
Season 2 of The Goldbergs
Season 2 of Mom
A return to form for Modern Family
A return to form for Archer
Brooklyn Nine Nine
The Affair
The Librarians
The Comeback Season 2
Getting On Season 2

What I Haven't Like
Gotham
The Flash
Scorpion
Madam Secretary
Bob's Burgers Season 5
Girlfriend's Guide To Divorce
Bad Judge
Galavant
Mike and Molly Season 5
Selfie
AHS: Freak Show
Togetherness
Mozart In The Jungle

What I Dropped
Agents of Shield
The Vampire Diaries

What I am looking forward to
Bordertown
iZombie
One Big Happy
Heroes: Reborn
The Odd Couple
CSI: Cyber
Wayward Pines
The Whispers
The Astronaut's Wives Club
The Lizzie Borden Chronicles
Westworld
Scream Queens
American Crime Story
Daredevil
Damien
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Grace and Frankie
Sense8
Man Of The High Castle
AKA Jessica Jones
The Defenders

What i have yet to watch pending renewal or other reasons
Sleepy Hollow
Revenge
Agent Carter
Constantine
Forever
The Mysteries of Laura
Marry Me
Stalker
Cristela
Fresh Off The Boat
Looking
Marco Polo

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. And I thought I watched a lot of TV.

I think it has been a fairly weak season for new shows. Of those which have just started I have already dropped most of the ones I tried.

Best new show was The Affair and it deserves the awards it has been getting.

Scorpion is totally ridiculous but I can't help liking it. It just nice to watch something occasionally with your brain turned off.

How To Get Away With Murder started well (possibly the best pilot of the season) but I dropped it when I realised that I didn't care what was happening.

Forever was OK and it had a decent cast but it soon became another murder of the week show.

Secretary of State had a rocky start but it has started to find its feet and is far better than the awful State of Affairs.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts? Massive disappointment.

This was the first season in a while that's been loaded with interesting projects, ideas and strong pilots and yet I can only think of one or two shows that have actually delivered on any of that (and one of those is a limited series that's probably not going to get another year). All of this wouldn't be quite so disappointing if established shows weren't also becoming increasingly unwatchable. It says something that when The Blacklist, which spent most of its first season being a largely incoherent mess of nonsense driven by a scenery chewing performance, is now a more coherent, tightly plotted and consistent drama than Scandal.

Cable hasn't been a whole lot better either although it at least gave us the beautiful if somewhat inconsistent The Affair I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A return to form for Modern Family
    Apparently we're watching completely different seasons of Modern Family.
    A return to form for Archer
    This assumes that Archer ever lost its form (it didn't). Archer Vice was flawed but still brilliant.
    Agent Carter
    You should already be watching this. Its endlessly fun and stylish.
    LostFool wrote: »
    How To Get Away With Murder started well (possibly the best pilot of the season) but I dropped it when I realised that I didn't care what was happening.
    I've never quite understood all the love the How To Get Away With Murder pilot got.

It certainly wasn't a terrible pilot in fact I'd say of all the pilots this season it was the one that gave the absolute clearest indication of what its resulting series would be. A parade of nameless bland supporting characters hired to look pretty acting out a jumbled story jazzed up by increasingly inane stylistic tricks all of which plays out why you sit wondering where Viola Davis is and why she isn't on screen more.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an opinion Alex R. There's no need to be arrogant regarding my view on Archer and Modern Family

The title says "thoughts so far". Not "everyone must have the same opinion so far"

A simple "i don't agree" is too polite and hard for people to say these days
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    My thoughts? Massive disappointment.

This was the first season in a while that's been loaded with interesting projects, ideas and strong pilots and yet I can only think of one or two shows that have actually delivered on any of that (and one of those is a limited series that's probably not going to get another year). All of this wouldn't be quite so disappointing if established shows weren't also becoming increasingly unwatchable. It says something that when The Blacklist, which spent most of its first season being a largely incoherent mess of nonsense driven by a scenery chewing performance, is now a more coherent, tightly plotted and consistent drama than Scandal..

I've gone the other way with The Blacklist. Season 1 wasn't perfect but it just about made sense but S2 has been all over the place and seems to have given up any attempt at an ongoing storyline. Baddies turn up in a random place, Red just happens to know them, Keen gets sent to sort it all out, gets kidnapped, escapes and then the baddies are caught.

Scandal has always been nuts and one of the attractions of the show is that it could veer off in any direction but this season has been silly even by their standards. It may not be as good as it was but it is still watchable. Blacklist is really testing my patience.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone the other way with The Blacklist. Season 1 wasn't perfect but it just about made sense but S2 has been all over the place and seems to have given up any attempt at an ongoing storyline. Baddies turn up in a random place, Red just happens to know them, Keen gets sent to sort it all out, gets kidnapped, escapes and then the baddies are caught.

Scandal has always been nuts and one of the attractions of the show is that it could veer off in any direction but this season has been silly even by their standards. It may not be as good as it was but it is still watchable. Blacklist is really testing my patience.

Agree with you about the Blacklist...though to be fair it did start to pick up it's game a little towards the break, but still, it doesn't feel like the same show as S1.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things I am catching up on (finished shows):
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter

Also catching up with Supernatural.

Ok. Now for the current shows.

Enjoy:
    Arrow
    The Flash
    Mom
    2 Broke Girls
    About A Boy
    Forever
    Game of Thrones
    Gotham
    How To Get Away with Murder
    Blackish
    Fresh off the Boat
    The Middle
    Modern Family
    The Goldbergs
    The Big Bang Theory
    Grimm
    Baby Daddy
    Melissa and Joey

Interest fading a little:
    The Vampire Diaries
    Suits

Given up but may return to:
    The Walking Dead
    The Originals

Haven't liked:
    Selfie
    Stalker
    MLS
    A to Z
    Marry Me
    People will hate me but...EMPIRE. I watched the first episode and didn't enjoy it. Maybe its not my thing, not a fan of musicals. Hence why I never liked Glee or Nashville.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    New Shows
    The Flash - Looking forward to this, series linked it so far and plan on binge watching the whole of season 1 in a few months.
    The Mysteries of Laura - I like it, easy watch. Sometimes just have it in the background whilst i'm doing other things though

Losing Interest
    Vampire Diaries - Self explanatory
    Pretty Little Liars - Season 5 has been so weak, really losing interest but i just won't let myself give up on it.

Fallen back in love
    The Originals - Best decision trying to get back into this show and I've completely fallen in love with it. Easily my favourite programme at the moment.

Looking forward to
    Heroes: Reborn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone the other way with The Blacklist...
    I should say that I didn't necessarily mean to imply that The Blacklist wasn't still an incoherent mess of nonsense its still very much that just doesn't look it in comparison to Scandal. Although I do think the opening episodes of season two were more focused and tightly plotted than anything in season one. Admittedly that didn't really last but still.
  • chocolategagachocolategaga Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    this season im finding lots of varying levels of quality (watching at us/uk/irish pace depending on the show by the way) but seems overall meh to me.

Regarding revenge, im finding it enjoyable, despite knowing its probably its last season but could have done without david clarke returning.

Sleepy hollow what to say..... I personally don't mind katrina & love the sisters but found the flow way too focused on the crane family stuff rather than acolpyase.

Arrow IM LOVING THIS SEASON brave move on the plots props to the writers and cherography, really should have won a stunt award or something by now.

Once upon a time I have not watched frozen so wasnt sure what to expect, believe the casting of anna was brilliant elsa... was good at times but felt too similar to emma for me.

Onto new shows now and I loved how to get away with murder, although outside viola davis's character can definitely see why the series is criticized although i don't agree.

The flash was a pleasant surprise for me as I'm already full with comic book based shows but am enjoying it.

Jane the virgin was lucky enough to watch the pilot while on holidays cant wait for it to begin here.

I have more but will post another time
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving Empire... Best thing to come on tv in years IMO and Cookie is the best character on any tv show I've ever seen.

I'm still enjoying HTGAWM and I'm sad that this week is the season finale, the only reason I've stopped watching it live is because of how awful Grey's and Scandal have become.

I still watch Grey's but it's more out of habit than out of interest in any of the characters or stories anymore, and I don't watch live anymore.

Scandal is ridiculously awful now and I only watch it now because I keep hoping it will return to the standards of Season 1.

So all in all TGIT is a major disappointment, but on the plus side it means I'm no longer up until 4am every Thursday night / Friday morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this season im finding lots of varying levels of quality (watching at us/uk/irish pace depending on the show by the way) but seems overall meh to me.

Regarding revenge, im finding it enjoyable, despite knowing its probably its last season but could have done without david clarke returning.

Sleepy hollow what to say..... I personally don't mind katrina & love the sisters but found the flow way too focused on the crane family stuff rather than acolpyase.

Arrow IM LOVING THIS SEASON brave move on the plots props to the writers and cherography, really should have won a stunt award or something by now.

Once upon a time I have not watched frozen so wasnt sure what to expect, believe the casting of anna was brilliant elsa... was good at times but felt too similar to emma for me.

Onto new shows now and I loved how to get away with murder, although outside viola davis's character can definitely see why the series is criticized although i don't agree.

The flash was a pleasant surprise for me as I'm already full with comic book based shows but am enjoying it.

Jane the virgin was lucky enough to watch the pilot while on holidays cant wait for it to begin here.

I have more but will post another time

I have to agree with you with Arrow. Looking online, it seems quite a few are not enjoying S3 and I see a lot of "I have switched off" but then again, lots must be enjoying it because it's hitting new heights in terms of ratings this year. It's been recently getting ratings almost identical to what it premiered with three years ago! A lot of people are comparing it to the brilliant S2, which WAS brilliant, but I think people forget that it was the second half that made it very good. The first half of S2 wasn't all that.

I didn't want to watch Jane because of how terrible it sounded, however after getting massive praise and winning an award, I will give it a go soon.
  • chocolategagachocolategaga Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    I have to agree with you with Arrow. Looking online, it seems quite a few are not enjoying S3 and I see a lot of "I have switched off" but then again, lots must be enjoying it because it's hitting new heights in terms of ratings this year. It's been recently getting ratings almost identical to what it premiered with three years ago! A lot of people are comparing it to the brilliant S2, which WAS brilliant, but I think people forget that it was the second half that made it very good. The first half of S2 wasn't all that.

I didn't want to watch Jane because of how terrible it sounded, however after getting massive praise and winning an award, I will give it a go soon.

to be fair i didnt wanna watch jane at all either but been given a few recommendations plus golden globe helps so will be watching whenever e4 bother to air it

was not aware of people not enjoying this season of arrow, to each there own I guess

oh loving this season of the 100 miles better than season 1 although i cant say im mad about the finn arc, watching at uk pace if ya cant tell :)

wanted to ask about empire definitely looks like something id watch but wanted to see had anyone seen it & what they thought

oh cant wait for game of thrones WAY too long to wait

will also give a shout out to ray donovan, vastly goes under the radar people seriously are missing out

other shows ill give a look at will be izombie the messangers odyssey and maybe american crime if i hear good things
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG i can't believe i forgot to mention Jane the virgin
    Lovely little gem
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the return of The Good Wife and Nurse Jackie.

Dying for: Orange is the New Black and House of Cards

Scandal, Revenge, The Blacklist and the Americans have all lost their way, but Person of Interest is still holding my interest, as is Bosch
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    In terms of new shows, it's been How To Get Away With Murder, The Flash and Gotham for me.

Really do want to catch up with both Empire and Agent Carter too.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Agents of Shield has been really good.

Big Bang Theory is plodding on, nothing to write home about but still a fine watch for 25 minutes.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is one hell of an enjoyable show, love it, funniest thing on TV right now IMO.

Those are the only three US shows I'm currently watching. Personally I don't think there's that much interesting stuff around right now, nothing grabs my attention. I would like to see a new space opera show that was brave in taking risks (like farscape) and if HBO were the ones to make it then even better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    I think Agents of Shield has been really good.

Big Bang Theory is plodding on, nothing to write home about but still a fine watch for 25 minutes.

Brooklyn Nine Nine is one hell of an enjoyable show, love it, funniest thing on TV right now IMO.

Those are the only three US shows I'm currently watching. Personally I don't think there's that much interesting stuff around right now, nothing grabs my attention. I would like to see a new space opera show that was brave in taking risks (like farscape) and if HBO were the ones to make it then even better.

The last season and a half has been a little disappointing of Big Bang but the last two episodes on US pace have been up there with S1-3 levels.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    The last season and a half has been a little disappointing of Big Bang but the last two episodes on US pace have been up there with S1-3 levels.

I'm watching at E4 pace so I look forward to seeing those, I don't think the show has gone down hill as badly as some others do, I think its always at the very least good, though I do prefer the earlier seasons but I find most shows have a decline, especially long running American show where as something like Life on Mars (uk) was brilliant in both it series but as it only did two and with less episodes that's easier to pull off. I thought series 5 of Big Bang was the weakest and the later series were an improvement.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glee has definitely seen a return to form. Its last series will take away the bitter taste of Seasons 4 and 5.

Scorpion I like because of the characters but the writing can be a bit too sentimental sometimes.

Forever has a good cast and potential, but so far hasn't lived up to that potential.
    Elementary hasn't been so good with Lucy Lui missing half the season.

The Flash and Arrow are good complimentary series, nice to have super hero shows back in vogue. Gotham has been too much of a pre Batman tease. But I like Gordon and the setting so hopefully it will improve.

The Librarians has been a nice replacement for Warehouse 13.

The Blacklist definitely lost me not sure what it is trying to do, but the characters are terrible.

Bad Judge, Selfie and AtoZ were wasted opportunities.

About A Boy, 2 Broke Girls, Brooklyn Nine Nine, New Girl, The Mindy Project, Mom, 2 Half Men, Big Bang Theory, The Exes, Hot in Cleveland, Cougar Town, Modern Family, The Middle, Mellisa and Joey, Man Seeking Woman, It's Always Sunny, Last Man Standing, Marry Me and Family Guy have all been solid players in the comedy field.
    Archer is a watch and forget show for me. But I like the characters especially Pam.

Chicago PD and Chicago Fire have been good additions to the Emergency room type drama.
    and Agents of Shield and Agent Carter have been good too.

The Good Wife has been great, but the Mentalist went out on a whimper.

Marco Polo was a nice surprise series.

State of Affairs I called early as a one season show,

The Walking Dead has felt like its been treading water this half of the season. But it always has good set pieces.

The Americans, Suits and Nashville are my fave drama shows at the moment, along with Person of Interest. Sad to see White Collar end.

Couldn't get into Madam Secretary, Girlfriends Guide to Divorce, How To Get Away With Murder, Constantine and Galavant or The 100.

Got into The Mysteries of Laura late in the series and Baby Daddie thanks to E4, but am glad I did.

Looking forward to 'The Odd Couple' based on the pilot episode.

Forgot about Castle, Better Call Saul and Hindsight, which have been good. And Eye Candy which I have yet to see.
    NCIS has been trundling along nicely, but NCIS New Orleans was very poor in comparison.
    On the whole there have been at least 5 or 6 shows a day to watch.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,690
    Forum Member
    Dear lord, some of you folks must spend your entire lives as one long round of downloading and watching endless TV.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    Dear lord, some of you folks must spend your entire lives as one long round of downloading and watching endless TV.

Regards

Mark

So what?
    What makes you feel you need to look down upon people who do so?
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,690
    Forum Member
    What makes you think I look down on such folk?

Regards

Mark
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    What makes you think I look down on such folk?

Regards

Mark
    So you admire us? :)

It takes years of training and rigorous practice to be able to watch so much TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got into The Mysteries of Laura late in the series...
    I'll say this about The Mysteries of Laura it is a strong contender for the seasons most improved show. That pilot was God awful but its growing into a decent little procedural.