Xbox One now out in front?

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Spotify coming to PS4 trumps DNLA on XB1 IMO

I have both consoles. Actually I have "all three". But the Wii U is already boxed up.

I have only played Forza on my XB1, simply because there is nothing else that takes my fancy. Halo: MCC also perked my interest, but it was released in a shocking state and took MS six months to repair it's "flagship IP collection". Tremendous work.

My PS4 shares my gaming time with my PC. That Doto is like crack, I tell you. Cities: Skylines will get some action too.

Both have good exclusives lined up. Sony have 20m SOLD THROUGH sales worldwide compared to 12m for XB1.

MS had to discount the XB1 like hell (and lost a lot of money to do it) to "win" November last year, where every other month PS4 has outsold it.

Anyone who really thinks MS are "out in front" are inhaling some serious industrial grade glue. They are doing a better job catching up, but are no where near getting even.

Oh, and the latest Battlefield game being 720p? Amazing.

And the PS4 is 900p (which is nothing to brag about either)..... battlefield is just to get your money quick, from a lazy developer who can't be bothered to change anything and work with what they already had.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member

MS had to discount the XB1 like hell (and lost a lot of money to do it) to "win" November last year, where every other month PS4 has outsold it.

X1 "won" November in the states but the ps4 still sold more worldwide for that month.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    Has the XO managed to reach the PS4s launch weekend figure yet in Japan? The PS4 sold around 322k units in the first 2 days.

No. Last I heard Xbox One was selling as little as 300 units a week in Japan.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox was never going to do anything in Japan, the games for it, just do not appeal to the Japanese market...I don't even think the PS4 is setting Japan alight with sales either.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re. DLNA and updates in general:

I was simply giving an example of a feature that the Xbox One has that the PS4 doesn't, in response to someone asking that.

Sure, Smart TVs do it, but not everyone has a Smart TV. If I hadn't got a new TV last year, I'd still be using a console for DLNA.

And it is a feature that plenty of PS4 owners have been asking for, especially as not only does the Xbox One have it but the PS4's predecessor the PS3 has it.

----

Yes MS *had* to make a lot of changes because of the launch UI and features and because it was way behind.

But that doesn't detract from the fact that it provides far more regular updates than Sony, updates that have actual features rather than usually being "system stability", and doesn't detract from how it clearly listens to and acts on customer feedback far more than Sony.

This isn't meant to be some "Xbox fanboy post" - I have all three new gen consoles and like each for different reasons.

Hey, at least the PS4 gets updated more than the Wii U ;)

gds1972 wrote: »
    Running on the same game engine as BF4.
    dearmrman wrote: »
    And the PS4 is 900p (which is nothing to brag about either)..... battlefield is just to get your money quick, from a lazy developer who can't be bothered to change anything and work with what they already had.

I wish they'd move on from Frostbite :(

Re. the whole resolution thing that's been raging since (or before?) launch:

The PS4 is clearly more powerful, with a more powerful GPU and faster RAM, but the "gap" has got closer over time, as devs have got to grips with things.

It will never be the same as last gen, where the PS3 was more powerful in some ways but a PITA to code for, because even when the devs know the Xbox One inside and out it will still not be as powerful than the PS4.

But it's getting better (setting aside some devs still using crap engines), with more games on Xbox One meeting PS4 in terms of resolution at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Xbox was never going to do anything in Japan, the games for it, just do not appeal to the Japanese market...I don't even think the PS4 is setting Japan alight with sales either.

MS either want to sell to a global audience or they don't. Only they can change things. They have to support markets like Japan if they have any hope of worldwide success.

PS4 surpassed 1m sales a couple of months ago and is now the best selling home console by a massive margin. It even beats the mighty 3DS on good weeks.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Personally, the game i'm looking forward too the most is The Legend of Zelda Wii U. I think it will be better than any exclusive both MS and Sony bring out this year.

Me too especially now Uncharted 4 has been delayed. :(
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Bloodborne is a pivotal release. It is a PS4 exclusive and unlike, The Order, which had warnings before the release this is deemed to be a good game. If this hits....

At the moment I do not see the Xbox on top. Neither the PS4. What we need is both consoles to do well to keep both companies having to bring their A-game to proceedings.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have both a TV and Freesat box with have DLNA features but still miss it not been on PS4, I cant believe Sony didnt include it in PS4 as its a basic feature of PS3.

The feature Sony offer IMHO is cross-buy. I have got a number of PS4 games just because I own the PS3 version.

The whole resolution argument is just pointless as the differences are so small it doesnt matter. I played Assassins Creed Black Flag recently and I would have enjoyed that game just as much if I had played it on PS3 as I did playing it on PS4. It just looked a bit prettier. After a generation of playing the 'poor' version of games and thoroughly enjoying them I realised how little these minor differences between PS3/360 and PS4/XB1 really are.

Sony just cant seem to win when it comes to updating their system. Last generation people complained that they updated too frequently, this generation people complain they don't update frequently enough.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Running on the same game engine as BF4.

And BF4 ran at 792p on XB1.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

Maybe but the press at the time gave the same figures for BF4 as they do now for Hardline.

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates
    Battlefield 4 720p @ 60fps 900p @ 60fps
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where did you hear that? Every test I have seen says it's running at 1280x720 such as http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-next-gen-face-off which tested the final retail code.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    ^^ Consider me corrected. I remember 792p being it for XB1. Thanks.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Halo might shift a few more consoles.

Tomb Raider aint a console seller, although it does have a following, but id imagine most will wait for the PS4 release which apparently will come March/April 2016.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to seeing what both have to offer in terms of exclusive games coming this year from E3 etc.

Sony have had The Order & soon to have Bloodborne as their big exclusives so far this year but we don't know what else is to come. Microsoft haven't had any this year yet but their big hitters for this Christmas are going to be Forza & Halo. Same as last Christmas, which is pretty uninspiring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing what both have to offer in terms of exclusive games coming this year from E3 etc.

Sony have had The Order & soon to have Bloodborne as their big exclusives so far this year but we don't know what else is to come. Microsoft haven't had any this year yet but their big hitters for this Christmas are going to be Forza & Halo. Same as last Christmas, which is pretty uninspiring.

Persona 5 is exclusive to PS3&4. Not too sure how big a seller it will be outside Japan but it does have its fans.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    In terms of sales? No.
    In terms of power? No.
    In every other way? Yes.

Yep! can't remember the last time I switched my PS4 on! :blush:
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I'm looking toward to e3 too. Although Sony are tight lipped about what they're bringing. We know they'll be showing off Morpheus games, Persona 5 and Uncharted 4, while MS will be showing off Crackdown, Forza, Gears of War, Halo, Quantum Break, Tomb Raider and Scalebound. But that's 3 months away yet. Loads more to come on both sides.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I honestly think people should trade in their PS4's until Sony get off their arse and release a proper firmware, right now 2.5 is looking pretty good, but still missing a load of key features and the UI is still a mess, how they did so well with the XMB with it's clean and easy to use set up and yet bollocks up with a cluttered design like it was done for a mobile phone UI style of the PS4 is just crazy.

At least Microsoft are software smart where as Sony support on the other hand don't know the difference between JPG and PNG!
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Yep! can't remember the last time I switched my PS4 on! :blush:

Horses for courses, mine gets used pretty much every day, even if it's just a quick go* on Driveclub (*usually ends up taking an hour or more), it's my default way to watch twitch and youtube away from the PC too. The UI is a mess though, but 2.5 looks good, and Spotify in the background will be great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    I honestly think people should trade in their PS4's until Sony get off their arse and release a proper firmware, right now 2.5 is looking pretty good, but still missing a load of key features and the UI is still a mess, how they did so well with the XMB with it's clean and easy to use set up and yet bollocks up with a cluttered design like it was done for a mobile phone UI style of the PS4 is just crazy.

At least Microsoft are software smart where as Sony support on the other hand don't know the difference between JPG and PNG!

Why the **** should I?

I am enjoying my time with my PS4. It does what I want it to do - play games. Some of us don't care about stuff outside of games. That's what we have our PCs for.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do miss the XMB, the current OS UI on PS4 is just a cluttered mess of boxes everywhere. Such a step backwards from the simple design of the XMB.

Not sure I would trade in my system and be without a next gen system just because the OS was a mess though, seems extreme given that the systems plays games really well which is my main concern.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a case of most of us bought both consoles because they are both worth having
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a case of most of us bought both consoles because they are both worth having

Pretty much this, if you've folked out over 600 quid on 2 consoles then one would think any brand loyalty has gone out the window and they're in a gaming utopia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »

I'll take that seriously when Xbox One is able to do something as simple as install a game without it turning into a major headache.

That's a much bigger priority than worrying about what format to save a photo in.

Speaking of which, weren't MS over a year behind Sony in delivering a screenshot function? Missing key features indeed......