Murdoch: DTH satellite will be free, cable companies to pay retransmission fees.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC2 are currently airing past clips from the Wogan shows that were shown years ago on BBC1.

The first interview today was with Rupert Murdoch. It was said that the interview took place just after he launched Sky TV in 1989.

Murdoch clearly stated that viewers would not be charged for their channels; but that cable companies would. He mentioned that the channels genres that he had in mind were sport, movies, entertainment and news. He was telling lies even then! When I first got Sky in 1991, the movie channels were encrypted pay channels and Sky Sports was a free soft scrambled channel. Not too long afterwards, Sky Multichannels started and most basic channels were encrypted- the rest is history!

What Sky channels were there in 1989? I know that their first channel was Sky Channel which become Sky 1 and that in 1988 Sky signed up with Astra as their first customer.

Anybody interested can see it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05p6ckc/wogan-the-best-of-9-unusual

Comments

• ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sky channel
    sky movies
    sky news
    eurosport before sky sports
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I didn't know that Sky were involved with Eurosport.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the older and more prestigious channels on Sky currently have or have had Sky involvement.

That's even true today, e.g. Sky paying towards costs of channels to go HD (and for HD to become Sky exclusive by doing so)
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I didn't know that Sky were involved with Eurosport.

The first few years SKY & the EBU controlled Eurosport. SKY losed interest when it merged with BSB.
    SKY Sports was still 5 months away when that happened until Astra 2 started.
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the hype at the time of Sky being free. Then they decided to encrypt the movies as a benefit to the customer, so they could show more recent Movies, then the same excuse for charging. The first PPV event was also to benefit the customer as they would not be able to show the event if it was not PPV.

So remember that benevolent Sky do not charge customers to make a profit, it's totally for our benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told that when Sky first encrypted their movie channel(s?), this was only done in the evenings.

Were they still free at this time and just encrypted to appease rights holders?
  • BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    We got Sky in November 1989 and although all channels were free at this point it was always stated that sky movies would become a subscription channel "shortly", however we were also told the Disney Channel would be on air shortly, how many years later!

Can always remember when the day came that sky movies scrambled...the decoder box was bigger than the actual satellite receiver box itself haha. The filmnet/rtl4 decoders were far smaller and gave you far more interesting programmes lol
    Forum Member
    I was told that when Sky first encrypted their movie channel(s?), this was only done in the evenings.

Yep. initially afternoon movies were free but sky movies rarely started before 2pm during the week at the time
    Forum Member
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    The first few years SKY & the EBU controlled Eurosport. SKY losed interest when it merged with BSB.
    SKY Sports was still 5 months away when that happened until Astra 2 started.[/QUOTE

I can remember this as well, it really did look like game over for Eurosport when sky pulled out, it even disappeared off air for a couple of weeks till a french backer stepped in (cant remember who now), a testcard then appeared in secam for a few days and the channel was back on air pretty much as if nothing had happened.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    France's TF-1 took over Sky's share in Eurosport. And it was Astra 1B not Astra 2 ;)
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Most of the older and more prestigious channels on Sky currently have or have had Sky involvement.

That's even true today, e.g. Sky paying towards costs of channels to go HD (and for HD to become Sky exclusive by doing so)

Is it true that a condition of being part of the multi channels package was that Sky had to own a share in the channel?
  • Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back then sky Tv had competition in the form of a rival service called BSB from an alternative better quality service from a different satellite

Of course when they merged the policy of quantity over quality ruled plus charges came into effect

Add too that sky brought rights to show premier league from the off & the rest is history

Sky eventually moved from 19.2 east sat to its own position of 28.2 east sat

Meaning no competition from rival european broadcasters for viewers

Sky digital boxes meant you couldn't buy your own box that was capable of watching alternative broadcasters even if you wanted to
  • AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    SKY Sports was still 5 months away when that happened until Astra 2 started.
    Sky didn't really "lose interest" in Eurosport - the EU, responding to complaints from the rival sports channel Screensport (owned by WH Smith and ESPN) ruled that the Eurosport joint venture was anti-competitive and said it had to stop. Which it did - it actually closed down for a number of weeks.

Sky was presumably reasonably relaxed about it as the BSB merger had resulted in them owning 'The Sports Channel' anyway - which would of course become Sky Sports.

TF1 went on to take Sky's stake in the Eurosport venture, and it returned to the air shortly afterwards. Of course, some years later, their rival Screensport would end up closing, although it was presented as a 'merger' with Eurosport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    Is it true that a condition of being part of the multi channels package was that Sky had to own a share in the channel?
    Doesn't seem to have been - quite a number of the original multi channels (e.g. Bravo, Discovery, The Children's Channel, UK Gold, etc) weren't joint ventures, only a few like QVC were, which presumably was Sky's way of helping get the newer channels off the ground.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you're thinking of BSB's Movie Channel - that was intended to be free during the day (older films, with adverts) with premium movies shown on subscription in the evening.
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky digital boxes meant you couldn't buy your own box that was capable of watching alternative broadcasters even if you wanted to

What was stopping anyone? ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brampton wrote: »
    We got Sky in November 1989 and although all channels were free at this point it was always stated that sky movies would become a subscription channel "shortly", however we were also told the Disney Channel would be on air shortly, how many years later!

Can always remember when the day came that sky movies scrambled...the decoder box was bigger than the actual satellite receiver box itself haha. The filmnet/rtl4 decoders were far smaller and gave you far more interesting programmes lol

I believe that these decoders were supplied free of charge in return for a refundable deposit. If you've still got it, you should be due for a refund!
  • lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, they started encrypting around 6pm, they were still FTV at that time, the pay came later.
  • Sun Glasses RonSun Glasses Ron Posts: 17,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    What was stopping anyone? ;-)

Only sky digital boxes had the nd$ cam built in to decode their pay/subscription channels

Sky never released a 'stand alone' cam for ND$ which allowed you to watch Sky pay channels on a non sky digital box

Prior to the switch to digital (in 2000 I think? )

In the analogue days you could buy any satellite receiver & dish
    if you wanted to watch/subscribe to sky you had to buy a suitable separate decoder (videocrypt) & plug it it plus ring up sky for a viewing card

Hope this makes sense
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only sky digital boxes had the nd$ cam built in to decode their pay/subscription channels

Sky never released a 'stand alone' cam for ND$ which allowed you to watch Sky pay channels on a non sky digital box

Prior to the switch to digital (in 2000 I think? )

In the analogue days you could buy any satellite receiver & dish
    if you wanted to watch/subscribe to sky you had to buy a suitable separate decoder (videocrypt) & plug it it plus ring up sky for a viewing card

Hope this makes sense

Yes, it's now clearer to me what you meant :)
  • JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    From what I remember, the encryption of Sky Movies was done gradually. I recall that the first film to be scrambled was Robocop, but other films shown on the channel were broadcast unencrypted.

Encryption began on 5th February 1990. I'm not sure how long it took for the channel to go encrypted full time, probably only a few weeks.

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXsbZBg5xY) features adverts shown on Sky One in January 1990, which include a promotion for Robocop (at 14:13) and an announcement about the scrambling of Sky Movies at 18:09.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I remember, the encryption of Sky Movies was done gradually. I recall that the first film to be scrambled was Robocop, but other films shown on the channel were broadcast unencrypted.

Encryption began on 5th February 1990. I'm not sure how long it took for the channel to go encrypted full time, probably only a few weeks.

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbXsbZBg5xY) features adverts shown on Sky One in January 1990, which include a promotion for Robocop (at 14:13) and an announcement about the scrambling of Sky Movies at 18:09.

I first got Sky in June 1991 and both Sky Movies+ and The Movie Channel were fully encrypted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Back then sky Tv had competition in the form of a rival service called BSB from an alternative better quality service from a different satellite

Of course when they merged the policy of quantity over quality ruled plus charges came into effect

Add too that sky brought rights to show premier league from the off & the rest is history

Sky eventually moved from 19.2 east sat to its own position of 28.2 east sat

Meaning no competition from rival european broadcasters for viewers

Another example if Ofcom asleep on the job!
  • mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Another example if Ofcom asleep on the job!

Not really, since Ofcom wasn't formed until 2003.
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Sky moved from 19.2E to 28.2 when it went digital. There would never have been room on 19.2 to carry all the channels Sky now has since 19.2 is home to German, French, some Spanish, some Polish and other European channels.