Options

Freeview multiplex disappeared - how to get it back?

DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
Forum Member
✭✭
So my Panasonic TV tells me to retune. I do so. And I lose a whole multiplex of Freeview channels inc 106/107/110 in HD. Re-retuning doesn't get them back.

I have the Winter Hill transmitter. HELP! :(

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorted. Looked up online and found I can do a manual retune, worked out it's the Arqiva C transmitter., and as I'm on Winter Hill...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Hill_transmitting_station#Output
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Sorted. Looked up online and found I can do a manual retune, worked out it's the Arqiva C transmitter., and as I'm on Winter Hill...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Hill_transmitting_station#Output

I'm working for at800 (the company set up to resolve 4G reception issues) at the moment and we work closely with the Freeview Advice Line. A manual retune is standard as the very first step to take with the majority of issues they deal with. Most people think a manual retune is manually finding the automatic retune option on the menu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta. I just tried the same thing on another TV which has never got these channels before, so it skips from 105 to 120, and I tried a manual retune, adding in the multiplex on UHF 31 (Arqiva C) and it's just bringing up the same channels on UHF 54 (BBC B) again, so I don't know if my other TV's looking at another transmitter for some reason, although they're both using the same aerial (hell, they're even in the same room!) so I've no idea what's going on there.

This second TV is a Technika 32" LCD from Tesco.

Have you come across this problem also, please?
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta. I just tried the same thing on another TV which has never got these channels before, so it skips from 105 to 120, and I tried a manual retune, adding in the multiplex on UHF 31 (Arqiva C) and it's just bringing up the same channels on UHF 54 (BBC B) again, so I don't know if my other TV's looking at another transmitter for some reason, although they're both using the same aerial (hell, they're even in the same room!) so I've no idea what's going on there.

To see your manual retune options, go to the DUK website (www.digitaluk.co.uk), pop your postcode in on the right hand side and scroll down to 'How do I retune?'. You can check on different transmitters that you could be picking up from the same address too, to ensure you're using the correct manual settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta. The only potential option with some HD channels is a Welsh transmitter, but they don't have Arqiva C so I can't get them from that. Very bizarre.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some boxes have know issues about tuning a second DVB-T2 MUX, if its in warranty take it back and complain, hopefully you can get your money back and get something that works!
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Some boxes have know issues about tuning a second DVB-T2 MUX, if its in warranty take it back and complain, hopefully you can get your money back and get something that works!

Some?

I have various digital TV's and boxes and retuning is a nightmare....as automatic retuning may connect to all available stations but they are not where they should be....for example on one TV C4+1 is in the 800's.

I found manual tuning had to be done in a specific order otherwise the channel number placings become a mess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »

Alas, it's a TV that was bought in September 2011. White goods are meant to be fit for purpose for 6 years, and Tesco are generally good at replying, so it might be worth a go.
    i4u wrote: »
    Some?

I have various digital TV's and boxes and retuning is a nightmare....as automatic retuning may connect to all available stations but they are not where they should be....for example on one TV C4+1 is in the 800's.

I found manual tuning had to be done in a specific order otherwise the channel number placings become a mess.

Sounds like my digibox in the bedroom (Icecrypt, I think). BBC News is on 799. Sky News is 2 or 3 further up. Madness.
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Some?

We have a cheap ( non-Freeview-ticked ) TV which has that problem. Manually tuning in ascending LCN order usually gets channels in their expected positions.
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is the aerial installation?

Winter Hill was for analogue always a group C/D aerial... ch48 to 68 inclusive... and this remained the same group aerial for DTT/Freeview until 2013 when the COM7 second HD mux was launched on frequency ch31

That will be outwith the design band of a C/D aerial and will greatly reduce the signal level of that frequency - which is already 6dB down on the main 6 muxes. THAT is likely enough to make it unreceivable with one tuner (TV) versus a different (more sensitive) tuner.

(Cable length and extra terminations can also affect this; as might hdmi-connected kit in some circumstances).

Have you tried the other tuners on the same aerial outlet as the Panasonic?

It may be worth noting down the signal level and quality figures for the different mux frequencies as reported by the various devices. They may show a pattern.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    How old is the aerial installation?

Winter Hill was for analogue always a group C/D aerial... ch48 to 68 inclusive... and this remained the same group aerial for DTT/Freeview until 2013 when the COM7 second HD mux was launched on frequency ch31

That will be outwith the design band of a C/D aerial and will greatly reduce the signal level of that frequency - which is already 6dB down on the main 6 muxes. THAT is likely enough to make it unreceivable with one tuner (TV) versus a different (more sensitive) tuner.

(Cable length and extra terminations can also affect this; as might hdmi-connected kit in some circumstances).

Have you tried the other tuners on the same aerial outlet as the Panasonic?

It may be worth noting down the signal level and quality figures for the different mux frequencies as reported by the various devices. They may show a pattern.

Total speculation .
    Just get a local aerial company to fix the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Total speculation .
    Just get a local aerial company to fix the problem.

But I'm using two TVs in the same room. With the same aerial. So it's not an aerial issue.
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I'm using two TVs in the same room. With the same aerial. So it's not an aerial issue.
    But it may be a signal level issue... caused by the aerial system in use:

Different TV's have different tuners so have different 'sensitivity' to the supplied signal. They will also have different signal processing systems so one may be able to cope better with errors in the received data, and will likely have different tuning algorithms so give different results in the presence of multiple transmitters.

Most TVs have some form of signal level and signal quality meter built in that can help with diagnosing some problems. They are invariably NOT comparable... 50% on a Sony may be 100% on a Panasonic or vice versa... but for the different muxes on one receiver they will allow some indication of differences made when cables etc.,. are altered.

You need to go over things and try various alternative connection combinations to try to work out what is going on. Swap the TVs round so the Panasonic is fed from the Technika's aerial feed and vice versa: does it make any difference?

HDMI cables can radiate signals that get into the TV aerial cables and interfere with one mux more than others, which may account for some differences. Disconnect both ends of any hdmi connected kit to see if it makes a difference. (Different hdmi cables, keeping hdmi and aerial wires apart and/or better screened aerial cables will ususlly cure this problem).

If you are feeding two TVs from one aerial there must be a splitter used (passive or active???)... The different cable lengths may be relevant, as might any poor joints, sharp bends or damaged cable.

Passive splitter: Take that out and feed the aerial direct to each TV in turn ... if they are both 'happier' with the signal it indicates the signal is borderline and can't cope with being split (a loss of 4dB, or just over half). A LOW GAIN (circa 8db) low noise powered splitter may then help in this case.

Active splitter: Also try it aerial direct to each. If they are happy then maybe the amp is in the wrong location or adding too much noise or pulling in the Moel-y-Parc transmitter and confusing the TV's tuning algorithm?

Yes this is all 'speculation' and a good aerial installer with a good set of meters - and the skill to use them - should be able to diagnose the problem (if you can find such a rare beast where you live).
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume the 32 inch Tesco TV is capable of receiving Freeview HD not just HD ready.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But it may be a signal level issue... caused by the aerial system in use:

Ta for the full explanation. I see what you mean now.

I think they're both getting a separate feed from the same splitter (it's been a long time since I put the cables in), but the lead for the Technika will be a longer one. In fact, I think it's two leads daisychained so it reaches the TV, so I guess that won't help matters.

I'm not sure which type of splitter it is. I'll bear all this in mind if I have problems in future around the Panny, but for now, as that's my main TV, while my Technika is the secondary one - and can get those other channels in SD (and which I'll only really use BBC News out of those, on it), I won't go pulling wires out round the back this time since it's not urgent and I'll most likely knacker something that's going to take hours to fix.
    I assume the 32 inch Tesco TV is capable of receiving Freeview HD not just HD ready.

Freeview HD, AFAIK. It does 1080p, so is full HD rather than HD ready, which I always understood meant 'up to 720p', although I have learned more about other aspects of TV, in this thread, as shown above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Freeview HD, AFAIK. It does 1080p, so is full HD rather than HD ready, which I always understood meant 'up to 720p', although I have learned more about other aspects of TV, in this thread, as shown above.

Can you give us the model number, 1080p does not mean it can receive "Freeview HD" only that it will display 1080p pictures from an external source at that resolution (e.g. Blu-ray). The hand book will tell you if it is "Freeview HD" capable or not, otherwise with the model number someone on this forum will know.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ability to receive the freeview HD service is not automatically linked to sets badged "full hd". It's perfectly poss to have a "hd ready" tv fitted with a "freeview hd" tuner, and it's perfectly poss to have a "full HD" set that only has regular "freeview" tuner built in. In this case the regular freeview tuner is outputting only SD quality internally to the screen which "upscales" the Sd pic before it is displayed but it is not proper or "native" HD quality and naturally any chs being broadcast in HD won't be decoded by the built in sd tuner.

As of a few months ago, the own brand LCDs being sold in sainsburys were badged full HD, but the freeview logo was not the "freeview HD" logo.

In order to get freeview HD onto sets without it (they only have regular freeview) you need to add a "freeview HD" box using an Hdmi connection. Or you can add a hd box for a different service, such as freesat hd or sky hd, and in the same way a bluray player for hd discs. All connected with hdmi. The number of hdmi sockets on a tv is therefore very important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    The ability to receive the freeview HD service is not automatically linked to sets badged "full hd". It's perfectly poss to have a "hd ready" tv fitted with a "freeview hd" tuner, and it's perfectly poss to have a "full HD" set that only has regular "freeview" tuner built in. In this case the regular freeview tuner is outputting only SD quality internally to the screen which "upscales" the Sd pic before it is displayed but it is not proper or "native" HD quality and naturally any chs being broadcast in HD won't be decoded by the built in sd tuner.

As of a few months ago, the own brand LCDs being sold in sainsburys were badged full HD, but the freeview logo was not the "freeview HD" logo.

In order to get freeview HD onto sets without it (they only have regular freeview) you need to add a "freeview HD" box using an Hdmi connection. Or you can add a hd box for a different service, such as freesat hd or sky hd, and in the same way a bluray player for hd discs. All connected with hdmi. The number of hdmi sockets on a tv is therefore very important.

I should have said, HD ready/1080p (full HD?) ready perhaps as some people associate HD ready with 720 or similar formats which was the original minimum requirement but didn't exclude more highly specified ones.

Freeview HD TVs are fitted with a DVBT-2 tuner and can be 1,366 X 768 like the small Sony EX in my kitchen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should have said, HD ready/1080p (full HD?) ready perhaps as some people associate HD ready with 720 or similar formats which was the original minimum requirement but didn't exclude more highly specified ones.

Freeview HD TVs are fitted with a DVBT-2 tuner and can be 1,366 X 768 like the small Sony EX in my kitchen.

Ta to both you and David for the replies. There's no Freeview HD logo on my Technika, so does that mean there's no DVBT-2 tuner inside? (and hence why I can't get it on mine)

I would've thought the original box would have had it, but that box is long gone.
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta to both you and David for the replies. There's no Freeview HD logo on my Technika, so does that mean there's no DVBT-2 tuner inside? (and hence why I can't get it on mine)

I would've thought the original box would have had it, but that box is long gone.
    If it hasn't got the Freeview HD logo it won't have the DVB-T2 tuner needed for the Freeview HD services.

Looking at the Tesco Direct website I don't see any 32 inch Technika sets that are Freeview HD, the models that are Freeview HD are 40 and 50 inch. If you want to be 100% sure as previous posters have said post the model number, or check it on the tesco website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ta for the info. It was a cheap-ass TV, so I figured bells and whistles would be few :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DX30 wrote: »
    If it hasn't got the Freeview HD logo it won't have the DVB-T2 tuner needed for the Freeview HD services.

Looking at the Tesco Direct website I don't see any 32 inch Technika sets that are Freeview HD, the models that are Freeview HD are 40 and 50 inch. If you want to be 100% sure as previous posters have said post the model number, or check it on the tesco website.

Nowt to do with the tuner.
    It's if the tv has MPEG 4 decoding and a 256 QAM demodulator .

So there 😎
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowt to do with the tuner.
    It's if the tv has MPEG 4 decoding and a 256 QAM demodulator .

So there 😎
    Are you claiming a set with a DVB-T tuner will get the Freeview HD channels? :confused:
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My last sony lcd (and the one I have now, I assume, the former being hd ready, the latter being full hd) only have freeview, not freeview hd built in. So unless u add a freeview hd box (or a hd box for a different platform or bluray player etc) it is unable to display hd pictures. However, in some locations in the world, the old dvb-t1 tuner as used by plain old freeview does carry some hd content (France I think does this), and I remember reading in the old tv book that this would work......but in UK, our terrestrial hd is on the dvb-t2 platform......the resson - hd channels eat up loads of capacity and t2 is just a lot more effective at compression so it makes sense to confine hd chs to that format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DX30 wrote: »
    Are you claiming a set with a DVB-T tuner will get the Freeview HD channels? :confused:

As I said it is nowt to do width tuner.

The tuner doesn't demodulate ,it frequency shifts to a IF using a local oscillator into a mixer .
    The IF output is filtered and then it is fed into the demodulator .
    The demodulator can be QPSK,16QAM,64QAM or usually with HD , cos of the extra data capacity 256QAM.

After all this the decoder is MPEG 2 or MPEG 4.

So DVB-T 2 is the modulation method and usually MPEG 4 encoding ,nuffing to do with the tuner

So even if the tuning process is now on super dooper silicon tuner chips ,the basic principle is the same .

So go stand in t,he corner with a white pointed cap with the letter D on it .