which console ?

old bill2old bill2 Posts: 689
Forum Member
✭✭
Now that my daughter is about yo start school. I hoping to buy a new games console. Now I am very out of touch as the last system I had was a now dead Nintendo Wii. What console would everyone recommended for family fun, ease of use and game's available ? What's the difference between a X Box and a PlayStation ?

Comments

• gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    old bill2 wrote: »
    Now that my daughter is about yo start school. I hoping to buy a new games console. Now I am very out of touch as the last system I had was a now dead Nintendo Wii. What console would everyone recommended for family fun, ease of use and game's available ? What's the difference between a X Box and a PlayStation ?

These threads never usually end up going well.

But for family fun I think you need to be adding the WiiU to your list of consoles to look at. As for what console to choose I think you should look at what games are coming out for all of the consoles and also look at what console your friends all own and if you want to play online against them and then choose based on what you like the look of most.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family Fun = Nintendo, so look at the Wii U.

Out of the PS4 or Xbox1 there isn't alot between them, the PS4 slightly more powerful (but actually means diddly squat)..so if it is between those consoles, then look at the exclusives both offer and see which of those you prefer and also what her friends have.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With very young kids, go for the Wii U. You can get started for under £200 and if you still have your old Wii the sensor bar and controllers can be used with Wii U.

With such a small small library of high quality child-friendly games on PS4 and Xbox One I really wouldn't bother with those at this point. You're basically limited to Disney Infinity or the Lego games.

If, for whatever reason, you've discounted a Nintendo console you'd probably be better off getting a PS3 or Xbox 360 at this point.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    For fun games/younger people id get a Nintendo Wii U.

At this point an Xbox 360 with Kinect would be a solid choice and would be a great laugh and has a massive library of games.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I agree with Fastest Finger.

Nintendo is definitely the way to go for family fun. You had the Wii so your family will be familiar with Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, maybe some Zelda. You won't find fun games like these on the PS4 or Xbox One. Instead of Mario Kart they have games like Driveclub and Forza - semi serious racing games. They're excellent games but younger ones might get bored more easily by them.

As Fastest Finger mentioned, you can get the likes of Skylanders, Disney Infinity or Lega games on the PS4 / X1, but you can get these games on the Wii U too. But there's also great adult games in it too, like Bayonetta, Zelda and the upcoming Xenoblade.

Now the difference between Xbox and Playstation - not much. There'll be tiny features a little different on each and there's a handful of games that is on one but not on the other. Xbox has the Halo, Forza and Dead Rising franchises among others, while the PS4 has the Uncharted, God of War and Gran Turismo franchises among others. Both consoles have an optional camera you can buy that comes with family friend games, tho they're not brilliant. If the console you're going to buy was just for you I'd probably recommend one of these two based on whichever exclusive games you like the most, but if you're taking the whole family into account, I'd have to recommend the Wii U.

If you do decide to go Xbox or Playstation, go with PS3 or Xbox 360. They've been out for 8 years and there's thousands of games out for them, and they'll be dirt cheap at this stage.

But, do consider the Wii U. Best family console out there.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I think what the people are saying is certainly sound, I would just caution as to whether it is worth investing in the Wii U platform. As it stands the console is being propped up by first party releases from Nintendo, all of the major developers have either released a handful of games, or totally bailed on it.

If you are to consider a Wii U, then you may as well save yourself some money and go for and Xbox 360 or PS3. They both have a massive back catalogue of games which is suitable for families, this can range from Rockband/Guitar Hero, Singstar/Lips. There are many many games for those platforms that would give you the experience you want.

But then again, you could invest in a new and more up to date Xbox One and PS4? I would have to agree with the other posters, there is very little between the aforementioned consoles. Singstar has just come to the PS4, where as Xbone had dance central at the tail end of last year (you need the kinect for this).

TBH for me the choice wouldn't be hard I would go for either Xbox One or PS4 (I have both so slightly biased), over a platform that has effectively been given its death knell, as a new one is now being developed. The other thing to consider is Nintendo first party titles very rarely drop in price, compared to that of say Shadow of Mordor (not a family game), which can be had for 1/3 of the original retail price.

Invest for the future, both Xbox and PS4 have some exciting ideas. The only way I would consider getting a Wii U is if the price gets closer to £100, its not worth any more than that given its a dying platform.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I think what the people are saying is certainly sound, I would just caution as to whether it is worth investing in the Wii U platform. As it stands the console is being propped up by first party releases from Nintendo, all of the major developers have either released a handful of games, or totally bailed on it.

If you are to consider a Wii U, then you may as well save yourself some money and go for and Xbox 360 or PS3. They both have a massive back catalogue of games which is suitable for families, this can range from Rockband/Guitar Hero, Singstar/Lips. There are many many games for those platforms that would give you the experience you want.

But then again, you could invest in a new and more up to date Xbox One and PS4? I would have to agree with the other posters, there is very little between the aforementioned consoles. Singstar has just come to the PS4, where as Xbone had dance central at the tail end of last year (you need the kinect for this).

TBH for me the choice wouldn't be hard I would go for either Xbox One or PS4 (I have both so slightly biased), over a platform that has effectively been given its death knell, as a new one is now being developed. The other thing to consider is Nintendo first party titles very rarely drop in price, compared to that of say Shadow of Mordor (not a family game), which can be had for 1/3 of the original retail price.

Invest for the future, both Xbox and PS4 have some exciting ideas. The only way I would consider getting a Wii U is if the price gets closer to £100, its not worth any more than that given its a dying platform.

I see the logic in what you're saying, but I would hedge my bets.

You could "invest" in a PS4/Xbox One now for £350-ish, or you could buy a Wii U first for £150, work your way through the near-perfect child friendly library and then go for one of the big boys in 2-3 years when the library has matured (and child is a little older) by which time the price should approaching the £200 mark.

You'd have spent a similar amount of money but had the best of both worlds.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo is the way to go if you have a young daughter...I have one myself...not got a Wii U but have the Wii & 3DS.

Even with the backlog of games for the 360/PS3, I really struggled with games she found appealing, where as Nintendo it was no trouble at all.

The PS4/Xbox 1 are aimed at older games, consider it for the future as really the future will not be bright for either of those consoles for a young gamer. Unless it's really for yourself.
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I see the logic in what you're saying, but I would hedge my bets.

You could "invest" in a PS4/Xbox One now for £350-ish, or you could buy a Wii U first for £150, work your way through the near-perfect child friendly library and then go for one of the big boys in 2-3 years when the library has matured (and child is a little older) by which time the price should approaching the £200 mark.

You'd have spent a similar amount of money but had the best of both worlds.

PS4 and Xbox One can now be had for £250 or less, I suspect this price to fall even further as we hit the 2 year anniversaries of each platform. I will never say Nintendo produce poor games, they are very creative and colourful, but its the same problem using the tried and trusted IP's of Mario or Zelda. When you buy a Wii U you really need to commit to the platform and that is a costly business, it helps a great deal that the OP has a Wii. But again I caution spending money on a dying platform, given now you can get the two leaders for a broadly similar price of the Wii U premium (RRP around £249). What worries me that Nintendo messed this one up, they thought everyone wanted gimicks similar to the Wii remote, as it turned out they were wrong. Now they are developing something called the NX, no one knows what it is, however I can bet it is a successor to the Wii U, 3DS has no problems selling. I am digressing somewhat by saying all that, however a lot can be had for Xbox and PS on both generations.

In terms of the OP if you want the family feel of games and some of the singing games then I really would go for the PS3 or Xbox 360, both of them have had a karaoke game or two, they also have had guitar hero or rockback, peripherals of which can be had for next to nothing on ebay. The advantage of doing this is there shouldn't be a great amount of expense, save buying a console and some of the equipment. Genuinely even though they are last generation if you will, they offer much more than what Wii or Wii U can offer you(even PS4 and Xbox One). You will see these old band games going for a couple of quid used in a game shop.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WiiU ;-)
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i went with the controller i liked best when ps and xbox 1st came out, even if xbox was better i would stick with ps just because of the controller. A mate sold his ps4 because he couldn't get used to the controller so maybe see how they feel 1st, something as simple as this could make the difference.
  • martytartymartytarty Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Xbox one is the best console

April Fools! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with others who have said Wii U. Mario Kart 8 is a must. Great little console for family fun and not as pricey as Xbox One or PS4.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    martytarty wrote: »
    Xbox one is the best console

April Fools! :D

Ha ha but you posted this after 12 noon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I recommend PlayStation)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I recommend PlayStation) For me it is the best gaming console ever.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Wii U, given the requirement for "family fun".
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Xbox One. Miles better than PS4.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wii U..my 15 year old has stated that the library of U games is better than whats on PS4/XB1...apart from Bloodbourne or the new Dark Souls which i picked up Thursday.

I also bought Xenoblade on "new" 3DS..

that opinion surprised me as most teenagers are normally into FPS, GTA, which he is but he has announced he is now getting into RPGS..
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox One. Miles better than PS4.

....and we're off!
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ps4. No questions.

Happy easter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    ....and we're off!

were not, i wont be replying to that post
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    ....and we're off!

My comment was slightly ironic. The only proper answer you will get is from people who own both and that is not many people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My comment was slightly ironic. The only proper answer you will get is from people who own both and that is not many people.

i own all three..and im going for the Wii U for pure entertainment..
    Forum Member
    i own all three..and im going for the Wii U for pure entertainment..

In which case that's a good answer.