Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,666
    Forum Member
    5 a day wrote: »
    I wish Rachel would stop over-emphasising the letters when she puts them up...S has suddenly become "Ess-uh".

I've noticed this :D

But Carol was just as bad.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjc2007 wrote: »
    I've noticed this :D

But Carol was just as bad.

I assume it's so that it's clear for the contestants who are writing the letters down, and not necessarily looking at them while they're being put up. S could be misheard as F if it wasn't said clearly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Has anyone noticed that she pops her thumb out on her left hand as she puts a letter up!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but I will look for that now:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I like the new show and the new team but just wish Jeff would stop bringing football up grrrrr
  • textyboytextyboy Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    I'm not a football fan either but quite enjoy Jeff's football references. Maybe I'm just glad not to have Des O talking about his records all the time...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't reralise how much Carol spoiled it until now.

Love the new look and line-up.
  • textyboytextyboy Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Sheila36dd wrote: »
    I didn't reralise how much Carol spoiled it until now.

Love the new look and line-up.

I agree. And Rachel's maths is excellent - she was great today. As the title of this thread says: 'So much better these days!'.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    I wish Rachel would stop over-emphasising the letters when she puts them up...S has suddenly become "Ess-uh".

Almost like Esso
    textyboy wrote: »
    I agree. And Rachel's maths is excellent - she was great today. As the title of this thread says: 'So much better these days!'.

And in years time, She could do both Countdown and loan ads
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    textyboy wrote: »

My Aunt has been to see the new line up 3 times now, and the maths doesn't always get done correctly on the first take !
    Have you noticed how she shakes her hand before putting the numbers up. I think that the new set does not let them get close enough to the contestants.

I don't think it is as good as it once was. Jeff seems to be looking down all the time, and Rachel looks at the camera, not the contestants
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was one of those moments we long for today on Countdown. A rude word spelt out when Rachel put up the letters! This was about 20 minutes in. It got a nice ripple of laughter from the audience. Rachel handled it very well though and soldiered on.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g101/psychrosis/ScreenHunter_01Feb161715.jpg
  • Simon6776Simon6776 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that was quite amusing. :D

In the numbers game, where does she scuttle off to as soon as she puts the last number up? I really don't think she's as good as Carol was at the numbers, and she rarely seems to get them when the contestants don't, not in the 30 seconds, anyway. Looks obviously swung it for her when she got the job, and I wish she'd stop over-emphasising the lettersss-uuh!

Re the comment about her look at the camera and not the contestants, well, the contestants would see her in their monitors, in which case she would be looking at them. :)

Above all else, I just wish Richard Whiteley was still here! :(
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    There was one of those moments we long for today on Countdown. A rude word spelt out when Rachel put up the letters! This was about 20 minutes in. It got a nice ripple of laughter from the audience. Rachel handled it very well though and soldiered on.

Yeah that was good. She did handle it well. I liked Jeff's comment when they went to him. He said something along the lines of "I thought they were taking the um.. mickey with those letters!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, good capture.. if only this happened (don't click if easily offended, nsfw) once though. :D

How are the ratings for countdown nowadays? Have the new presenters brought in more since des or less?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Is it true that there must be at least 3 vowels chosen? If it is I never knew that. :eek: and I have been watching the programme since almost the very beginning lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is so irritating! As a teacher this annoys me as it goes against the whole principle of phonics. Still, I quite like her on the show, she's starting to show her personality off a bit but I hope she doesn't go too far down the dull shoes/chocolate-obsessed thing to try and appeal to women. Yawn.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »
    How are the ratings for countdown nowadays? Have the new presenters brought in more since des or less?

I'm not sure if there are any clear ratings.

I could only see that the last episode with Des and Carol got 1.7 million viewers and the first episode with Rachel and Jeff got 1.2.

It's safe to assume that both of the figures are slightly inflated (due to the hype of people leaving/starting).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I do like Jeff but I wish they had been more daring and employed a woman in Richard's role and a young man in Carol's role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »

That was great. :D You could tell the contestant was going for it once the 'essa' came out. :)

I never used to watch it during the two Des' era but now I record it everyday and watch it when I get in. :)

Jeff Stelling has probably the hardest job in tv presenting Soccer Saturday so it's good to see him given a chance to present a more relaxed show.

Is it just me that loves the way Rachel turns round in between the contestants selecting letters? :o It puts me off finding words. :D
  • ThebensterThebenster Posts: 6,872
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there are any clear ratings.

I could only see that the last episode with Des and Carol got 1.7 million viewers and the first episode with Rachel and Jeff got 1.2.

It's safe to assume that both of the figures are slightly inflated (due to the hype of people leaving/starting).

The first week averaged 1,125,600 while the second week averaged 961,200 in the ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotchegg wrote: »
    Is it true that there must be at least 3 vowels chosen? If it is I never knew that. :eek: and I have been watching the programme since almost the very beginning lol

Yes apparently it is true. I suppose it gives the players a better chance at making a longer word and stops the player picking the letters from being able to make up a personal favourite word no one else would know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, good capture.. if only this happened (don't click if easily offended, nsfw) once though. :D

Brilliant, and looking at some of the other Countdown clips on youtube brought back a lot of memories:):)
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Jeff is great - he looks very much at home doing Countdown and genuinely appears to enjoy it (which neither Des L or Des O seemed to).

Still not used to Rachel yet - she seems really nice, but she lacks the presence Carol had.

Suzy - brilliant as always!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree gboy but I think Rachel needs a bit more time to settle down after all it is her first tv appearence. Jeff and Suzy are professionals with a long time in TV.
    Carol was a hard act to follow though
  • Simon6776Simon6776 Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotchegg wrote: »

It's so that people can't hold on to a lead unfairly by picking all consonants so that it's impossible to form a word. Jeff mentioned it in the first show, I think.
This discussion has been closed.