When is sky planner share coming

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It was talked about some time ago but since the nothing has been said about planner share

It sounds great but I haven't heard any news on it for awhile

Does anyone have any info

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be announced when it is released, or maybe a few days before, until then, you won't hear anything (has been said many times this question comes up, even this week).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Just got my skyhd multiroom box come up with a update,
    Pic plugged my spare wifi connector in and it's allowed me to join my wifi, it's even got a new settings menu called connect
    With a item for content sharing, unfortunately my 5 year old samsung skyhd+ box hasn't had the update so not able to get shared planner, but it's looking like soon!
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which version of firmware is your multiroom box running.

I believe the "conectivity" tab was added in R005 for DRX 890 & 895 boxes.

And was added in R006 for DRX 595 (multiroom) boxes.

At the moment it only contains one option "share what's on this box" which just enable or disables the ability for the sky+app to connect and controll the box.
  • FennomenonFennomenon Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I think I have R008.063.49.09P on my SkyHD Multiroom box in the bedroom. It isn't connected to a phone line (for on demand) or my network router - will this effect updates?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fennomenon wrote: »
    I think I have R008.063.49.09P on my SkyHD Multiroom box in the bedroom. It isn't connected to a phone line (for on demand) or my network router - will this effect updates?

The box not being connected to the Internet or phone line won't prevent updates as these are delivered via the satallite connection, it just means you can't use the new features.

Is it a recordable box "sky+HD", as the update has only been released to the recordable boxes as far as I'm aware. The non recordable box "skyHD" hasn't had the new firmware released for it yet

You can check the firmware version your box is running by going to SETTINGS > SYSTEM DETAILS > MODEL NUMBER

However as part of your terms and conditions if you have multiroom all your sky boxes must be connected to a phone line.
  • BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 890 & 595 have both upgraded to 008. Firmware. I could try and hook up the 595 to the internet later.. 890 is already connected.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Boozyuzi wrote: »
    My 890 & 595 have both upgraded to 008. Firmware. I could try and hook up the 595 to the internet later.. 890 is already connected.

you defo sure this is the Sky DRX595 (non-Hard Drive) box??
  • BoozyuziBoozyuzi Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spike18_06 wrote: »
    you defo sure this is the Sky DRX595 (non-Hard Drive) box??

My 595 (non hard drive, bedroom box) is now showing as R008.063.49.09P

As of 2 days ago
  • FennomenonFennomenon Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    As I said my SkyHD bedroom box is updated too.

The BT engineer who installed my phone line didn't install a second connection to my bedroom.

Worse case, can I use a splitter downstairs and run a phone cable up to the bedroom? I know I can't use on demand upstairs - but will this stop the use if shared planner?! (Assuming I connect the upstairs box to my router)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt you'll need a phoneline to use the shared planner.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fennomenon wrote: »
    As I said my SkyHD bedroom box is updated too.

The BT engineer who installed my phone line didn't install a second connection to my bedroom.

Worse case, can I use a splitter downstairs and run a phone cable up to the bedroom? I know I can't use on demand upstairs - but will this stop the use if shared planner?! (Assuming I connect the upstairs box to my router)

If oyu had a new phone line installed, all the BT installer will do, is install the master socket, any additional wiring is your responsibility.

When Sky installed the boxes, if they installed a multiroom box, they should have put a phone extension in for you, if this was done recently, phone Sky to advise them, and they will send someone out to finish the job.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any update on this?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,428
    Forum Member
    Any update on this?

If there was it would already have been posted.

Sky don't release any details under launch is imminent - e.g they might say it launches on a Monday the Friday before.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was it would already have been posted.

Sky don't release any details under launch is imminent - e.g they might say it launches on a Monday the Friday before.

Sorry for asking.
  • SpartanWoddySpartanWoddy Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    This rumour has been going on for nearly 18 months. I think its fairly safe to assume that its not high on the priority list, or that its too complex for Sky software engineers to get working on a stable basis.

It appears Sky are moving more towards downloading content via internet than localised sharing. Pity, it was one of the reasons I went for the non recording multi room box, 12 months ago. Should have got the recordable version.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This rumour has been going on for nearly 18 months. I think its fairly safe to assume that its not high on the priority list, or that its too complex for Sky software engineers to get working on a stable basis.

Sky don't and never have had software engineers, it's Cisco (formerly NDS) that develops the middleware for all Sky boxes.

One point though. MediaHighway, which NDS bought from Thomson back in 2003, and is currently Cisco's flagship STB middleware already supports "planner sharing" and has done since the middle of last year.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg_Sayer wrote: »
    Just got my skyhd multiroom box come up with a update,
    Pic plugged my spare wifi connector in and it's allowed me to join my wifi, it's even got a new settings menu called connect
    With a item for content sharing, unfortunately my 5 year old samsung skyhd+ box hasn't had the update so not able to get shared planner, but it's looking like soon!

There was mention a while back on the Sky Help forums that there would be an update to enable wifi on the DRX595 because it currently wasn't working. I guess it ties in with the new T&C regarding multiscreen installs from 18th Dec 2013.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    There was mention a while back on the Sky Help forums that there would be an update to enable wifi on the DRX595 because it currently wasn't working. I guess it ties in with the new T&C regarding multiscreen installs from 18th Dec 2013.

The only way to get wifi on the 595s is to use a wireless connector. A new DRX595W will be launched with inbuilt wifi. When the update to enable the connectors comes along, I think planner sharing won't be too far behind.
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    I guess it ties in with the new T&C regarding multiscreen installs from 18th Dec 2013.

Not really, the T&C's (at the present time) are simply no type of connection required whatsoever.

It's presumed that this will change, to requiring network connections, if and when they introduce network verification of the boxes location (again 'presumably' when planner sharing is released).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, the T&C's (at the present time) are simply no type of connection required whatsoever.

It's presumed that this will change, to requiring network connections, if and when they introduce network verification of the boxes location (again 'presumably' when planner sharing is released).

Actually if you have multiscreen the T&C require you to have your main and multiscreen boxes connected to a broadband connection where possible possible.
    If you have an active Multiscreen subscription, the Box used to receive your first Sky digital subscription and the Box(es) used to receive your Multiscreen subscription(s) must always be connected to any residential broadband service you receive, provided the Boxes can be connected to broadband and we have supplied you with the equipment necessary to make the connections (e.g. an On Demand connector). You must let us collect information through the connections, including Box location information.
    Forum Member
    Nsewell wrote: »
    Actually if you have multiscreen the T&C require you to have your main and multiscreen boxes connected to a broadband connection where possible possible.

The instructions sent out to the ASA installers listed no such requirement :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »

New installs are not strictly required to be connected to telephone or broadband, although if you have any Sky+HD boxes then the installer will connect wirelessly to broadband if available to ensure you receive the full benefit of Sky's on demand service and enable you to use sky store etc.