Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh I wish theyd stop refusing songs written by "strangers", I bet they let go a bunch of potential hits because of that

You just want them to be pop stars, they want to be proper artists.
    Better not to listen to fans sometimes.
    They fact that they want to write is why I still like them.
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's quite clear they don't write the music, they have input and change a lot of what they hear, but they have never indicated they can do it from scratch by themselves (and the writing credits on the albums certainly don't indicate this either) - it's for this reason I'm not really bothered about them having writing credits on every song - as much input as they can is great, but they're not songwriters from scratch so it doesn't really bother me if they have a few songs on there they didn't write.
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still hope the end of this countdown is something BIG!
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You just want them to be pop stars, they want to be proper artists.
    Better not to listen to fans sometimes.
    They fact that they want to write is why I still like them.

hahahaha I think I know pretty well why I like them and what I want them to be, Im only worried about them establishing because labels don't care whether you're a proper artist or not, obviously, I too value the fact that they want to write it all but if they're finding it somehow challenging, it wouldn't make them less artistic to accept 1 or 2 songs they didn't wrote, its better to do that than to force some things that won't end up being too good... what I want them to do is to produce good music, preferably being involved, but they don't have to be involved on all of it at the expense of the quality, sometimes recognising limitations could do them well, its been months now and album 3 is still a challenge to them going by the girl's at the christmas dinner report, how long do they plan on dragging this? how long do they have? there are so many things that could go wrong if they obsess, being perfectionists is great, but they really have to be careful with that
  • Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    It's quite clear they don't write the music, they have input and change a lot of what they hear, but they have never indicated they can do it from scratch by themselves (and the writing credits on the albums certainly don't indicate this either) - it's for this reason I'm not really bothered about them having writing credits on every song - as much input as they can is great, but they're not songwriters from scratch so it doesn't really bother me if they have a few songs on there they didn't write.

You're right about that, they admit they need the producers to come to them "with the beat" as they say which I assume means the basic melody, but I do believe them when they say they have a hand in the arrangement, plus they do lyrics. The long time soloists I like have terrific people to arrange their music and sometimes, as we see with covers we like, that makes something kind of ok really good. I hope they bind Cottone to them like their life depends on it, she's elevated them.

Felp, I think at the beginning when they didnt have anything of their own in the can they were dragging their feet but I think now that they do have stuff they are comfortable with, the other songs will be insurance for them to pick and choose from. That includes the US writer effort. They're probably hoping to get an unknown diamond in it, but if not they have their fall back.

Well that Xmas vid isnt totally a loss because the first 3 seconds of Jesy singing just shows how far she has come, its very nice. Just think if she had been that strong on their Silent Night at the final, it wouldnt have been The Perrie Show.
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK everyone...fire when ready *ducks head*
    http://littlemixmas.little-mix.com/days/day-three/

I mean the jokes write themselves. I don't even need to come with a punchline.

Thanks for quoting that fan from twitter, CV. I'm intrigued like if they weren't using this time of their tour cancellation to get 'serious' about the writing of the album then what were they doing? I mean, obviously they've been working hard but it's a bit funny is all and I appreciate how much they want to write (and write as a group, none of this split-team stuff that'll only cause problems in the long run).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean the jokes write themselves. I don't even need to come with a punchline.

Thanks for quoting that fan from twitter, CV. I'm intrigued like if they weren't using this time of their tour cancellation to get 'serious' about the writing of the album then what were they doing?

I just realized at the beginning that Perrie says "That's a downer" about Silent Night, which was exactly my thought when they sang it at finals, ha ha.

I think the girls were serious back then, but as I noted at the time, you could tell that going into the third album they didnt have a strong idea about it yet. The first 2 they already had plans for. I bet the April into August sessions were them marking time a little until inspiration struck, which is probably when A&R drafted in the ready made songs. Luckily they got going in late August and Sept.

Another possible factor: they have worked extensively with Iain James on the first 2 albums, and he was busy with XF. They were possibly a little adrift without him.
  • Options
    ShaynaJayShaynaJay Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    huh, why do I get the feeling the label are trying to minimize their creative input. I don't know but maybe that is just the way I read into things now...

"in the New Year they’ll be heading into the studio with some writers in the US and really stepping up the writing process so they can get the album out to us as soon as they can." So maybe that is why they seem to be on xmas break earlier than normal.....I really wish they had the writing process done by now but I guess the girls and the label can't seem to find a common ground on what has come out of the studio sessions so far
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the feeling the label wants it done, so they are doing this last round of writing and after that its "this is what you gots to choose from, pick 'em, and there's the album. We're going to finish". LM arent big enough to have endless leeway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    true, the girls only want to put out something they are 1000% happy with, the label just want something out......there is going to have to be a meeting point sooner or later otherwise the label will pick the songs regardless and put something out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's crazy is that the time the girls have taken so far isnt really any different from other artists on a 2 year schedule, except this is nutty SyCo's album a year calendar. With other artists they arent really late because they plan for this and tour around during. With LM it wasnt planned so the album is actually holding things up for them to proceed. So right now I'm leaning towards the label's "get it done so we can move on" mentality after this last round.

Edit: I know the "this album is make or break for them!" cries will follow, but lets face it unless you're The Sats every album for a girlgroup is make or break.
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's crazy is that the time the girls have taken so far isnt really any different from other artists on a 2 year schedule, except this is nutty SyCo's album a year calendar. With other artists they arent really late because they plan for this and tour around during. With LM it wasnt planned so the album is actually holding things up for them to proceed. So right now I'm leaning towards the label's "get it done so we can move on" mentality after this last round.

Edit: I know the "this album is make or break for them!" cries will follow, but lets face it unless you're The Sats every album for a girlgroup is make or break.

I'm convinced The Saturdays have put in half the funds for every music video since "What About Us" with their own money when you look at the budgets lol.

I don't think that will ever be Little Mix. Remember guys, whenever we start to worry or people write them off, they come back and shock and wow 10x harder than they did the time before.

I'm anxious + excited but a part of me isn't really feeling nervous 'cause I genuinely do believe the girls are gonna kill it harder than they ever have before!

*hides in corner and prays that this doesn't bite me in the ass by the New Year*
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    We say this a lot but they actually proved people wrong just during the dna-salute transition, I cant list anything else... Not diminishing but lets not take it for granted, dont set your expectations too high haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These were the girls who were supposed to be out in Week 1 or 2, yet its 3 years later now and I have to say I have read more compliments about them in these last few weeks on the XF show threads than I ever recall. Do you guys also realize that once 2015 starts they will have had 3 1/4 full years of existence which is longer than a lot of other girl groups?
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope we get something new out of this countdown thing but I'm managing my expectations. I can't imagine the label will let the writing go on much longer. If they have the lead single in the bag then the album will be Q1 or early Q2. Towers is a fantastic song which the girls didn't write on, they should stay open to that. I think their label has a good record with single selection for them. Little Me is the only misstep for me (should have been Towers) but the girls and core fanbase adore it and it worked well performing it in small tv studios.

In terms of being winning a Grammy nomination, Little Mix would have to transplant their lives to the States for a while. The non-US acts which have broken out last few years like Ed and Iggy moved there full time and grafted. Being the premiere girl group in the UK & Ireland is an achievement, particularly when they have such a solid setlist to perform in arenas. I don't think they should be off radio playlists for much longer though, they will miss out on valuable events next summer if they have been dormant.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »

I'm not expecting LM to turn into singer/songwriters but I don't see why they shouldn't put a stamp on everything they do in the modern collaborative way of writing songs.

If someone like Avicii is claiming to the artist and writer on a song like 'Wake Me Up', then LM can claim to be writers on everything they do.

I notice all the predictions when the 3rd album will come out have tailed off. Albums have been shelved in the past. I don't expect that but I do expect something different this time. And it's about time there was some artistic tension in the group, getting on too well doesn't always help creativity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    And it's about time there was some artistic tension in the group, getting on too well doesn't always help creativity.

Are you expecting Fleetwood Mac levels of dysfunction? :D I havent noticed any conflicts with the 4 girls unless its been terrifically masked from the public. But if you meant the label, sure, if its a growing pain and they progress from it. I wouldnt want them to be caught up in label drama and shelved indefinitely like so many other artists have suffered though.
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    The thing is they say they want to write there own songs, but they have seem to be taking a lot of days off since they started writing for the album
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you expecting Fleetwood Mac levels of dysfunction? :D I havent noticed any conflicts with the 4 girls unless its been terrifically masked from the public. But if you meant the label, sure, if its a growing pain and they progress from it. I wouldnt want them to be caught up in label drama and shelved indefinitely like so many other artists have suffered though.

I guess tension often (not always) seems to produce some of the greatest music of our time. They're such a great unit and seem to get along so well that sometimes I wonder if they challenge each other as much as they should. Like I remember when we were all joking around about how LM's style was following a Jesy route and that Jesy has a very strong sway in the group. Who knows if we were mostly right in how that plays out musically (stylistically, they really did all seem like they were trawling in Jesy's closet bins for a while this year and it got boring to look at real fast).

On the other hand, Perrie was a dreadful performer for most of the DNA era and I'd like to think she was challenged to step up her game. Jesy's excessive vibrato, while still making unwelcome appearances, also appears to be under control nowadays and they really stepped up with the Salute and the tour, knew what they wanted and went after it. So they do challenge each other somewhat to be better and the best they can be - hopefully this album is forcing them to do so more, which is why it's taking so long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to disagree on the need for tension. I've been on creative teams where everyone isnt in harness and its stress filled and counterproductive. I think they've been able to step it up majorly because they are in tandem and not wasting energy in conflict with each other (the label and management on the other hand, we'll see). I've never gotten the impression they were resting on their laurels either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't day four of the advent calender be active by now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to disagree on the need for tension. I've been on creative teams where everyone isnt in harness and its stress filled and counterproductive. I think they've been able to step it up majorly because they are in tandem and not wasting energy in conflict with each other (the label and management on the other hand, we'll see). I've never gotten the impression they were resting on their laurels either.

I'm someone who tends to thrive on having something or someone I'm pushing back against/fighting back against - so I figure even tension with the label is ample enough to keep feeding that hunger for better and bigger with this group in particular. I think maybe they underestimated how hard it would be to step up the way they want to for a third album and even that creative tension where you're struggling to make something and you become your own worst enemy because it's just not happening despite all the work you're doing, that's good tension too. (Not gonna lie though, I love watching band histories, the more dramatic, tempestuous and fractious the better but it's nice LM is so functional and are all hard workers).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaynaJay wrote: »
    Shouldn't day four of the advent calender be active by now?

Is there really anything to be so eager for? :p I think they usually put the link in on the afternoon, dont they?

They better have several covers for the torture they are giving us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe they underestimated how hard it would be to step up the way they want to for a third album and even that creative tension where you're struggling to make something and you become your own worst enemy because it's just not happening despite all the work you're doing, that's good tension too.

I'm hoping this is like that couple who try and try to get pregnant without success, then go ahead and adopt and boom! the wife gets pregnant. Maybe this album is the adoption and once its out all of a sudden they get the ideas popping again. I dont want them wasting time and effort gilding the lily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there really anything to be so eager for? :p I think they usually put the link in on the afternoon, dont they?

They better have several covers for the torture they are giving us.

you never know they may surprise us......I feel like I say this way too often with this lot ha! Ugh even a couple more BTS studio vids would be fine, but all I want is something substantial to come from this....although I guess I shouldn't be expecting anything like that this early in the calender.
This discussion has been closed.