Options

Michael McIntyre Comedy Roadshow - New Series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
Forum Member
I was at the filming of the new series of this last night in glasgow and it was hilarious!!

What I found interesting was that there was 5 comedians on, and from what I remember last year, they only showed Michael McIntyre plus 3 guests? So maybe looks to see reaction of the audience as to who gets on tv?

There was;
Milton Jones - who is regularly on MTW, he was just joke after joke with no stories attached. He was ok, but not really my taste.
Holly Walsh - Was ok, few laughs but nothing special.
Daniel Sloss - New 19 yr old comedian who was brill! Lots of laughs and went down really well with audience! One to watch!
Craig Campbell - CRAZY canadian comedian who was one of my favs! Never heard of him before but he was brilliant!
Kevin Bridges - The headliner - Who was just brill! Nothing more has to be said for him!

And of course Michael McIntyre did a 20min set at the beginning then came on for 10mins inbetween each comedian.

It was a great night and 3 hours worth of filming, so will be interesting to see what gets put on the tv!

Has anyone else been yet or going to see one of the recordings?

Comments

• Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I think Comedy Roadshow should be at least an hour if they pack that many comedians in. :)
    I enjoyed Steve Hughes who was on Roadshow once (or was it Apollo), I saw him live recently and he was very funny :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was at the filming of the new series of this last night in glasgow and it was hilarious!!

What I found interesting was that there was 5 comedians on, and from what I remember last year, they only showed Michael McIntyre plus 3 guests? So maybe looks to see reaction of the audience as to who gets on tv?

There was;
    Milton Jones - who is regularly on MTW, he was just joke after joke with no stories attached. He was ok, but not really my taste.
    Daniel Sloss - New 19 yr old comedian who was brill! Lots of laughs and went down really well with audience! One to watch!
    Craig Campbell - CRAZY canadian comedian who was one of my favs! Never heard of him before but he was brilliant!
    Kevin Bridges - The headliner - Who was just brill! Nothing more has to be said for him!

And of course Michael McIntyre did a 20min set at the beginning then came on for 10mins inbetween each comedian.

It was a great night and 3 hours worth of filming, so will be interesting to see what gets put on the tv!

Has anyone else been yet or going to see one of the recordings?

Do you really need the spoilers?

1) I like but after seeing the DVD you know each joke.
    2) Haven't been impressed with so far. A couple of good jokes here and there but not enough for a set.
    3) Never heard of. Looking forward to from your comment.
    4) Superb. Catch on Comedy Blue or Edinburgh and Beyond.
    5) Probably the comedian of the moment. Hope to hear new stuff. Hope it isn't retread material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Do you really need the spoilers?

1) I like but after seeing the DVD you know each joke.
    2) Haven't been impressed with so far. A couple of good jokes here and there but not enough for a set.
    3) Never heard of. Looking forward to from your comment.
    4) Superb. Catch on Comedy Blue or Edinburgh and Beyond.
    5) Probably the comedian of the moment. Hope to hear new stuff. Hope it isn't retread material.

Well some people maybe want a surprise when its on the tv?? Who knows?! thought would put it as a spoiler just incase! :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Surely it would give the line up in the listings though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Surely it would give the line up in the listings though?

Ok true maybe it would.

Apologies that the spoiler offended ya :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the post Wickchick06 :D

I've actually got standby tickets for the show in Leeds on Thursday, so your post has got me a little more excited. Hopefully even though our seats are on standby I should get in to see the show and will be able to report back myself.

Maybe the reason why they film so many comedians and only show so many is that they reuse some of them for other dates/venues? One comedian that goes down well in one area, might not necessarily do the same at another venue. That's just a guess though.

One final thing though. You mentioned that filming took around 3 hours. Is there an interval/s at any point as 3hrs seems to be a long time to be sat in one place.
  • Options
    SparkoSparko Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Great to hear you had a good night Wickchick. I've got tickets for the show in Dublin next week, posts like yours make me more and more excited!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    It was a great show - there's a 20 minute interval

Did anyone else see Gary, Tank Commander there? He wasn't picked out by Michael, he was more interested in Colin & Justin!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xTizerx wrote: »
    Thanks for the post Wickchick06 :D

I've actually got standby tickets for the show in Leeds on Thursday, so your post has got me a little more excited. Hopefully even though our seats are on standby I should get in to see the show and will be able to report back myself.

Maybe the reason why they film so many comedians and only show so many is that they reuse some of them for other dates/venues? One comedian that goes down well in one area, might not necessarily do the same at another venue. That's just a guess though.

One final thing though. You mentioned that filming took around 3 hours. Is there an interval/s at any point as 3hrs seems to be a long time to be sat in one place.

Yeah there was a 20 min interval. The 2nd half was much longer mind you!

If you are stand by I would get there really early! When we arrived we were just going to find the place (an hour earlier than it said they would start giving out tickets) and then go for a drink across the road, and luckily we happened to look round the corner and there was a que about 300 people long. Was a bit of a shambles though as some people in the que had standby and some had priority and nobody really knew where they were meant to be standing, luckily we went and asked and were moved somewhere else to stand. But they seemed to be giving out wristbands to people with standby tickets, and they were to come back later. And priority ticket people just got normal theatre tickets.

So the moral of that long story was.. get there early :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was a great show - there's a 20 minute interval

Did anyone else see Gary, Tank Commander there? He wasn't picked out by Michael, he was more interested in Colin & Justin!

I have no idea who that is haha!

Saw Neil Lennon, Colin and Justin, some dude from x factor who was sitting next to an actor who was in the film sweet sixteen. And saw the women from Taggart!

Where we were sitting we would just see colin and justin though so if there were others over that side I couldnt see them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sparko wrote: »
    Great to hear you had a good night Wickchick. I've got tickets for the show in Dublin next week, posts like yours make me more and more excited!

Hope you have fun :)

You will have to let us know who was there!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Yeah there was a 20 min interval. The 2nd half was much longer mind you!

If you are stand by I would get there really early! When we arrived we were just going to find the place (an hour earlier than it said they would start giving out tickets) and then go for a drink across the road, and luckily we happened to look round the corner and there was a que about 300 people long. Was a bit of a shambles though as some people in the que had standby and some had priority and nobody really knew where they were meant to be standing, luckily we went and asked and were moved somewhere else to stand. But they seemed to be giving out wristbands to people with standby tickets, and they were to come back later. And priority ticket people just got normal theatre tickets.

So the moral of that long story was.. get there early :)

That's a good idea. Keeping fingers crossed we get in, will let you know if we do and who appears on the bill.

I'm glad there's a 20 min break, just about long enough to stretch the legs and get refreshment :)
  • Options
    Ruby Red ShoesRuby Red Shoes Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to Bristol on 27 Aug and really looking forward to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    xTizerx wrote: »

Same here, standy tickets for Leeds, was going to get there an hour or so early but by the sound of it I better go a little earlier....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Michael McIntyre's comments about Americans replacing some English words with their own words for clarity made me laugh until I cried, particularly 'sidewalk' - the image of them just wandering off into the traffic if it wasn't pointed out that they should walk at the side of the road just made me giggle so much.
  • Options
    pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is I've seen Kevin Bridges in stand up, and he's very good, yet on MTW he was awful. Perhaps the occasion got to him?
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pxd867 wrote: »
    Thing is I've seen Kevin Bridges in stand up, and he's very good, yet on MTW he was awful. Perhaps the occasion got to him?

I thought he was good, but I've seen him better. I loved his appearance on Would I Lie To You? The story about the horse was classic.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it last week. That Eyebrow guy was hilarious. The woman however was not.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noticed that Michael seems to have 'borrowed' from Dara's current stage show with his Nintendo FIFA World cup game skit (the bit about the England games in the WC being like playing FIFA WC but not knowing what all the buttons are for and therefore having your players running in the wrong direction or lunging when the ball isn't there). Dara does something similar but using a different game and (imo) does it much better.

I thought the guy with the posh acccent (I was out of the room when he was introduced) was quite funny.

Was a bit disappointed by John Bishop.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed by John Bishop, too.
    He usually really makes me laugh, but not so much tonight.

Posh guy was quite good, I thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Noticed that Michael seems to have 'borrowed' from Dara's current stage show with his Nintendo FIFA World cup game skit (the bit about the England games in the WC being like playing FIFA WC but not knowing what all the buttons are for and therefore having your players running in the wrong direction or lunging when the ball isn't there). Dara does something similar but using a different game and (imo) does it much better.

I thought the guy with the posh acccent (I was out of the room when he was introduced) was quite funny.

Was a bit disappointed by John Bishop
    .[/QUOTE

Yes, I agree although I just don't get the fuss about John Bishop . His own show was dire and tonight I was transported back to working mans club humour circa 1975.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There was;

In the show that went out Holly Walsh wasn't shown was she?

Was she so bad that they cut her out? They've had 4 comedians on each show right? Has anyone else been to recordings, do they always have one extra comedian that they cut out from the TV edit?
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trec123 wrote: »
    I was disappointed by John Bishop, too.
    He usually really makes me laugh, but not so much tonight.

Posh guy was quite good, I thought.

I liked John Bishop; thought he was the best of the night.

Didn't take too much to the first guy's brand of humour; I think that's something you either get it or you don't, and I didn't.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked John Bishop; thought he was the best of the night.

Didn't take too much to the first guy's brand of humour; I think that's something you either get it or you don't, and I didn't.

Terry Aldeton was so different. I could have enjoyed him for the whole show!!!

Different strokes, I suppose.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually love Michael McIntyre, but I watched his show last week and thought the jokes he did about Raoul Moat were in very poor taste. I was quite disappointed with him.