Options

The Pillars of the Earth

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone any idea when this is going to be shown? Really looking forward to it as I'm a huge fan of the book. :)

Comments

• Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Freckles_ wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea when this is going to be shown? Really looking forward to it as I'm a huge fan of the book. :)

Me too! I wasn't expecting to like the book but thought it was wonderful. Hope the drama does it justice.
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell me more, I didn't know anything about it. It is the next book on my to be read pile.
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    If you;re lucky enough to be Irish, this started on TV3 last night! (Haven;t watched it yet...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just found the website and saw that it had started there, no news for us though.

Web site for anyone interested here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I'm really looking forward to this too - there's been a thread in the Cult section on it and it's already showing in the US. I re-read the book ages ago in anticipation and there's still no sign of it showing here. Channel 4 has bought it and I'm presuming (hoping?) that it will be shown as soon as the silly season's over.

Thanks for starting the thread Freckles.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't venture into Cult much since A2A ended. Another thanks to the OP for bringing this to our attention, I wonder if the fans of the novel in the Books forum know it is coming up, I haven't seen any discussion there about a series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cult's where they hide Desperate Housewives!

Some news! According to Ken Follett's website, Pillars is to be shown in Spain in mid September, Italy and UK early October and Germany and France in mid November. (Already showing in US, Canada and Ireland of course.)

Here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSa6AhEWebA
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fabtastic.

Superb book, hope they do it justice.

Wonder who will play Hugh Axe.......
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Had bad thoughts hoping that it wasn't BBC-ified a la Robin Hood meaning everyone is clean and healthy and all the clothers are clearly machine made by Yves Saint Laurent. Anyone know if the sequel is in the pipeline?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just up on Ken Follett's website that this is to begin on October 16........at last!:)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm looking for a good fantasy series after legend of the seeker was binned, so will certainly give this a go, even though my program planner will be full to bursting ..
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    i'm looking for a good fantasy series after legend of the seeker was binned, so will certainly give this a go, even though my program planner will be full to bursting ..

What made you think it is a fantasy series? It is a straight historical drama. No fantasy elements at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it ? bugger :)

i've seen a few pictures of it and assumed fantasy .. ah well, my bad :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is it ? bugger :)

i've seen a few pictures of it and assumed fantasy .. ah well, my bad :)

Were you possibly thinking of the Game Of Thrones series that HBO is going to air in the spring? It is a fantasy series with a medieval look to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Were you possibly thinking of the Game Of Thrones series that HBO is going to air in the spring? It is a fantasy series with a medieval look to it.

Ahh yes, you may well be right there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bump!

Can't wait for this tonight. Have already booked my place on the sofa, baggsied the soft furry throw and told the Mini Sulkos that they're watching XCr&pster in the kitchen! :p

Who else will be watching?
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this too. Should make a nice change for saturday night television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really been looking forward to this, but off out to see a show tonight, then away for a few days, so won't be able to catch up for a while. How many episodes are there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cathh70 wrote: »
    Really been looking forward to this, but off out to see a show tonight, then away for a few days, so won't be able to catch up for a while. How many episodes are there?

8 episodes approximately one hour in length.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    8 episodes approximately one hour in length.

Thanks for that! Tonight's a double. Really hoping they've done this justice.
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

jason this should be marvelous... but its not Disc World
    :D
    I would never have believed i would be so gripped by the story of a Prior building a Cathederal in the 12th Century.
  • Options
    DamandaDamanda Posts: 34,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!

Can't wait for this tonight. Have already booked my place on the sofa, baggsied the soft furry throw and told the Mini Sulkos that they're watching XCr&pster in the kitchen! :p

Who else will be watching?

ME!!! and Ive got the furry throw too... and a bag of Werthers Chocolates
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damanda wrote: »
    ME!!! and Ive got the furry throw too... and a bag of Werthers Chocolates

I have haven't got either, just a lust for Donald Sutherland that hasn't diminished with time.:o
  • Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching for the first time is in for a treat. it's fantastic:)