Brian belo leaves panto because of alleged bullying

13»

Comments

• phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Vesna wrote: »
    FYI this quote you included "@brian_belo when's our next ideas session?: "Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, & small minds talk about people"
    26 Dec " has nothing to do with DS, it's been going around on facebook for weeks now.

Oh, far, far older than that - the quote or a variant on it is at least 100 years old.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The front door keys just 'turned up'.

So were they hidden as part of a prank or had Brian simply lost them but mistakenly accused somebody of hiding them?

How did the keys turn up again?

Maybe he found the work harder than he thought it would be, what with having to learn lines, and it all got to him?
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe he found the work harder than he thought it would be, what with having to learn lines

He learnt his Big Brother lines alright before entering the house. He had his panto character down to a t also.

:p
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    The front door keys just 'turned up'.

So were they hidden as part of a prank or had Brian simply lost them but mistakenly accused somebody of hiding them?

How did the keys turn up again?

Maybe he found the work harder than he thought it would be, what with having to learn lines, and it all got to him?

Maybe they were playing pranks on him by stealing/hiding his stuff so then if he genuinely did just misplace his keys it's oblivious that he would of thought they took them to.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,811
    Forum Member
    His management are alledging he was bullied by 3 cast members?
    @chrissyintriguechrissy johnston

@MrsNicolaMcLean @brian_belo Thanks Nicola. Brian is lovely. So kind and genuine! He was bullied by 3 cast members. It was awful for him xx
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    Oh, far, far older than that - the quote or a variant on it is at least 100 years old.

I'm pretty sure that it is attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of Franklin D Roosevelt, American President in the 30s/40s. My favourite quote of hers, however, is 'no-one can make you feel inferior without your consent'. She was a great woman.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    There don't seem to be a giant cast list....so identifing the bully or bullies should not be difficult. I guess he'll take it too tribunal?

Was he the only black member of the cast?

Don't forget that there are also backstage people, and depending on the size of the theatre and the size of the production, there could be quite a few.

The other problem is with it being a case of Brian's word against theirs. The only way it could be proved would be if someone came forward and admitted to witnessing it first hand (though if the culprit still insisted it didn't happen, it would still be a case of one person's word against another) or actually doing it.

Obviously, we don't know what happened, but as someone pointed out, he walked out of a well-paid job. I honestly can't see him doing that (and getting himself a bad reputation with would-be theatrical employers) unless he had good reason.

Incidentally, if someone really did take the house keys, then whoever it was should reimburse Brian's mum for the cost of getting her locks changed. Taking the keys was incredibly stupid, given everyone's natural concerns about home security these days.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Don't forget that there are also backstage people, and depending on the size of the theatre and the size of the production, there could be quite a few.

The other problem is with it being a case of Brian's word against theirs. The only way it could be proved would be if someone came forward and admitted to witnessing it first hand (though if the culprit still insisted it didn't happen, it would still be a case of one person's word against another) or actually doing it.

Obviously, we don't know what happened, but as someone pointed out, he walked out of a well-paid job. I honestly can't see him doing that (and getting himself a bad reputation with would-be theatrical employers) unless he had good reason.

Incidentally, if someone really did take the house keys, then whoever it was should reimburse Brian's mum for the cost of getting her locks changed. Taking the keys was incredibly stupid, given everyone's natural concerns about home security these days.

Well said, very good post!

I'm not really a Brian Belo fan, although I did hope he would win his year on BB and was quite happy when he did, I just feel he overdoes the dopey thicko bit, but I honestly can't see anything malicious in him at all, and I find it very hard to believe this is just something he made up because he just didn't want to put the work in. There was no law against him just quitting if he didn't like the work, he really wouldn't need to make up a story about bullying!

That's just the thing with bullies, they always operate in numbers because they are cowards, and the poor victim is always the one who has to prove everything!

I really wish Brian well, and I'm sure he won't be out of work for long!
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure that it is attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt, wife of Franklin D Roosevelt, American President in the 30s/40s. My favourite quote of hers, however, is 'no-one can make you feel inferior without your consent'. She was a great woman.

Disputed as ever having been an original quotation of hers - see the Yellow box out section here:-

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Eleanor_Roosevelt
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »

Brian's management refers only to (3) cast members not production staff.

On Dec 15 all seemed hunky dory and luvvy dovey as Brian & Dean were photographed in Scout outfits for publicity.

The following day Dec 16 the pantos PR who had been at the theatre seemed unaware of any problems.

Dec 18 Craig Phillips was contacted to replace Brian.

Is it professional of Brian's management to publicly smear the entire cast with her allegations on twitter?
    Forum Member
    Disputed as ever having been an original quotation of hers - see the Yellow box out section here:-

Hows your German relation Hans?

Whoever said it first did they ever expect the manager of some UK Z-lister would be using it with one of her clients?

Do z-lister management seem themselves as spiritual gurus enlightening the path of their clients to Heat magazine, Claire Powell is another who sprinkles her tweets with such insights.

I see Brian is into 'Cosmic Ordering' I do mine via the internet.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably was bullied to a certain extent by some real actors who resent have a reality TV star in their midst. It wouldn't surprise me. Showbiz is tough though and if he's not strong enough to withstand a bit of bitchiness and backstabbing then he should get out.
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    He probably was bullied to a certain extent by some real actors who resent have a reality TV star in their midst. It wouldn't surprise me. Showbiz is tough though and if he's not strong enough to withstand a bit of bitchiness and backstabbing then he should get out.

Well looking at the cast list it ain't a massive cast, so if Brian got bullied then Craig Phillips would suffer the same fate....

If the alledged bullying began before Dec 15, was investigated, but was still continued by 3 cast members, wouldn't Craig face the same fate as Brian?
  • EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Well looking at the cast list it ain't a massive cast, so if Brian got bullied then Craig Phillips would suffer the same fate....

If the alledged bullying began before Dec 15, was investigated, but was still continued by 3 cast members, wouldn't Craig face the same fate as Brian?

Maybe Craig was already lined up as an understudy and the cast members doing the bullying wanted him in instead of Brian.
    I find it hard to believe that members of the cast would try and jepordise their own show by harassing one of main characters, unless of course it's a publicity stunt.
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member

Interesting, thank you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guilty party may of tried to send him an urgent TEXT to come back and that they where sorry.

On an unrelated note, Dean Gaffney sent him an urgent text .. I always prefer an urgent text over a phone call to the same number ..........well i suppose when said party isnt answering my calls thats the best I can manage when the producer is yelling at me to fix this mess.

IMO, Brian walked away from an enviroment where he wasnt being supported by managementm thats the worst senario when the bullies now know they can really get away will more vile stuff.

Not a fan of Brian, in away he let Davina bully him on her stint as the presenter of the aftershow, making him wear the mankinni was the ultimate humilation in my books.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quasimoron wrote: »
    His mum Sue, 57, said her son had been reduced to tears after his house keys, script and costume were repeatedly hidden in his dressing room.

However, the production team found no evidence of bullying after carrying out their own investigation and tried to get Brian to change his mind.

It’s emerged Brian refused to go back, despite a late-night visit to his house by the show’s producer Darren Maddison, who also carried out the investigation into his bullying allegations.

Mr Maddison said: “The allegations were thoroughly investigated with sensitivity by the production company and were found to be unfounded.”

How strange.

The guy basically implies Brian lied, yet seems to think that if he visits Brian late at night it might get him to return to the show.

And how did the thorough yet sensitive investigation show the allegations were unfounded? The guy can't travel back in time to see whether things really were taken or not. Is he just taking other people at their word when he won't take Brian at his?
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Then why doesn't it happen all the time when HMs (or similar) appear in pantos?

I don't think I've ever heard of any other case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Then why doesn't it happen all the time when HMs (or similar) appear in pantos?

I don't think I've ever heard of any other case.

I bet it happens a lot. Most people keep quiet about it though.
  • dalemandaleman Posts: 226,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was just the same on the coach trip.
  • GottaBeAdoredGottaBeAdored Posts: 11,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Brian really was bullied then he's certainly not learnt to be considerate of others feelings from it.

Complete moron on BoTS but again proved he was acting in the house.