Options

swanky bars in London - tips please!

Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My niece is coming over from Dublin for a few days and we're meeting up in London.

I'd like to treat her to cocktails at a swanky London bar - I'm thinking ideally old school - The Ritz, Savoy, Claridges etc. Would like it to be somewhere we can gawp at genuinely posh people, rather than tourists such as ourselves.

Last time I took her to Harvey Nicks bar, which was lovely, but v quiet (she was hoping to spot some Made in Chelsea people, as she's mad about that programme.

Anyway, any suggestions most welcome!

Miss P

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.designmynight.com/london/bars/chelsea/made-in-chelsea-bars

Personally I'd like a cocktail at the top of The Shard (this is as a Londoner!)
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    harvey Nicks bar is for picking up hookers.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    went to Nobu once for a few drinks, was very expensive for what they served..to be honest it was full of really pretentious people spending vast fortunes on drink that costs in the shops £10 a bottle...didn't eat there so i cannot comment, though from what i have read it seems to be good for food... lots of pretty women with boobs out and sleezy men in armarni suits.....

Though everyone was all dressed up and smart, I wandered in past the bouncers in skate shoes, jeans and a tshirt about 10pm on a friday night... so either I was let in to be looked down upon, they thought i was famous or i went completely under their radar, as who would dare to do that... hahaha... me

I tried to talk to people outside when I was having a **** but really snotty, Didn't like it at all was more comfy round the corner in the pub with a pint of ale where had lots of random chats to people outside.
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Milk & Honey up in Soho is very swanky. You can get in without membership but this is restricted to 11pm and you have to call some days in advance.

http://www.mlkhny.com/house-rules/
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Artesian at the Langham Hotel. Best cocktail bar in London, hands down, in my opinion.
  • Options
    PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James_May wrote: »
    Milk & Honey up in Soho is very swanky. You can get in without membership but this is restricted to 11pm and you have to call some days in advance.

http://www.mlkhny.com/house-rules/

Haha I love the rules :D
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A proper pub with good live music and a decent pint..... and maybe a nice steak... Dosent that sound better than trying to spot do called celebs who can't put two words together???
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Promenade at the Dorchester. It doesn't get much better than that.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    The Promenade at the Dorchester. It doesn't get much better than that.

One of my favourites :)

The bar at the Connaght is rather wonderful too, some of the best cocktails I've ever tasted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I rate this place http://http://www.vertigo42.co.uk/#londons-highest-champagne-bar amazing views, you'll need to book though.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    If you want to see Made in Chelsea types go to Bluebird on Kings Road. They have filmed in there a few times. Posh but not over the top expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.designmynight.com/london/bars/chelsea/made-in-chelsea-bars

Personally I'd like a cocktail at the top of The Shard (this is as a Londoner!)

I would second that, it's lovely, also have a look at Londonist.com
    Lots of ideas and links.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sky Lounge at the Double Tree Hilton in Pepys Street, north side of Tower Bridge is a buzzing place on Friday nights, and the restaurant and bar on the 32nd. floor of Centre Point, in the Paramount Restaurant affords a terrific 360 degree view of London.
    Don't know about Made in Chelsea, or Only Way is Essex people though, personally if they were there I'd swerve the place, big time.
  • Options
    Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bars you've described sound lovely, but I'm still set on one of the old-school ones - Ritz/Claridges/Savoy etc...

But thanks anyway, am sure info will come in useful for the future!
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Poppy wrote: »
    The bars you've described sound lovely, but I'm still set on one of the old-school ones - Ritz/Claridges/Savoy etc...

But thanks anyway, am sure info will come in useful for the future!

The bars at Claridges and the Ritz can be a little dull to be honest. The Savoy and the Dorchester have much better atmospheres and are wonderful for people watching while you sip :)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    A proper pub with good live music and a decent pint..... and maybe a nice steak... Dosent that sound better than trying to spot do called celebs who can't put two words together???

That's what I personally would would go for. Posh cocktail bars are my idea of hell. Give me a nice cosy pub with TV, free wifi, live music and fish n chips any day :D At least it's down to earth.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Miss Poppy wrote: »
    My niece is coming over from Dublin for a few days and we're meeting up in London.

I'd like to treat her to cocktails at a swanky London bar - I'm thinking ideally old school - The Ritz, Savoy, Claridges etc. Would like it to be somewhere we can gawp at genuinely posh people, rather than tourists such as ourselves.

Last time I took her to Harvey Nicks bar, which was lovely, but v quiet (she was hoping to spot some Made in Chelsea people, as she's mad about that programme.

Anyway, any suggestions most welcome!

Miss P

http://www.timeout.com/london/search?_source=global&profile=london&_dd=&page_zone=home&keyword=cocktail+bars&on=&locationText=
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I second the Artesan at the Langham!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    The bars at Claridges and the Ritz can be a little dull to be honest. The Savoy and the Dorchester have much better atmospheres and are wonderful for people watching while you sip :)

Agree also the bar at the restaurant in Somerset House - sorry totally forgotten the name. Great atmosphere and lovely cocktails.

Have a wonderful time wherever you end up! xx