Whats it like living on a rough council estate?

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've often wondered what it would be like living on a rough council estate, are you intimidated and abused by the local roughians who congregate outside the local shops? Do you avoid these areas? Would you take a midnight walk around the area by yourself? Whats it like?

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    As a non 'rough' person?
  • phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes as a non-roughian.
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its ok if you live on a rough estate if they know your face, however if they dont know you then thats when trouble happens
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Yes as a non-roughian.
    If you mix with and don't look down on you're ok.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many of the youths there are criminal "antisocial" types? Whenever I hear famous black people - sports people, pop music people- talking about it they seem to tell the same old story.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the many downsides is that you can be doing whatever you're doing and heading wherever you're heading and you'll round a corner to be met with a gang of half a dozen or more just hanging around on a bench or outside a shop.

It can be rather intimidating, especially if they decide your face doesn't fit.

Then you get the raging arguments over the tiniest of trivial things (often facebook related..). So many things become the most major, life altering, earth shattering, most serious thing ever when you live in places like that.

Obviously not everyone on council estates is like that, but i have lived in more than a few sh*tty places over the years :)
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Growing up on a rough estate I didnt even think about it.
    It is just your enviroment and you get on with it.
    It was when I moved away I realised just how awful and needlessly violent it was.
    Occasionaly I go back in a professional capacity and am depressed to see how mamy of the people I grew up with havent moved on with their lives and gotten out.
    Many are now grandparents with sprawling families of three generations still living there.
    Drugs there are a much bigger problem now too.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another question. Why do alot of the people around poor estates talk in strange accent and have there trousers not loose but half way down their legs?
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    A fate I hope I and my family will never have to endure !
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have lived on various council estates over the years and have yet to see one of the so called 'rough ' estates.

All the ones I have lived on are lovely, better than some private roads as everyone seems to have pride in their homes.

I think the OP has made a massive generalisation and really these sink estates are few and far between so the chances of ever coming across one is very small .
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live on one of the roughest streets on my rough estate, We keep ourselves to ourselves, Once we close the door it matters not where we live.

Things are not as bad as they were ten years ago, At that time it was like the council were filling certain streets with troubled families.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I live on one of the roughest streets on my rough estate, We keep ourselves to ourselves, Once we close the door it matters not where we live.

Things are not as bad as they were ten years ago, At that time it was like the council were filling certain streets with troubled families.

In the 80s I lived in Farnborough in Hants and it had a GLC overflow estate, many so called ruffians were moved down from London and everyone expected trouble, but the flats were upgraded and everyone was given a sense of security with doormen and security doors and bells, and the place was lifted and felt like a positive place to live. My friend lived there and not once did I feel intimidated walking along the corridors there.

It still had a reputation of being the roughest place for miles around, but personally I never saw that side of it.

Most social housing is now being built alongside private houses and round here you can only tell the difference by the front gardens social housing ones seem to be kept tidier.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    It's brilliant.

We stand around all day smoking weed and throwing stones at buses them we go down the co-op and rob the cider.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I have lived on various council estates over the years and have yet to see one of the so called 'rough ' estates.

All the ones I have lived on are lovely, better than some private roads as everyone seems to have pride in their homes.

I think the OP has made a massive generalisation and really these sink estates are few and far between so the chances of ever coming across one is very small .

I can't think of any really rough estates in the town where I live, either. Even one that used to be bad back in the 80s has lots of houses that have now been bought.
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Growing up down here, there used be an estate one side of a long road with some pretty gnarly massive houses the other side. I used to go and see my friends in the 'posh bit', all the local kids used to be friends. As we got older, we made friends with 'the ruffians' from the other side (as that's where you could get the good weed).

Eventually it turned to the ruffians coming over, feigning friendship and ending up stealing things from us. Us going over there, buying the weed, pulling the 'easy girls' and hanging out in random sh*tty houses, mostly owned by people in demolition...or ties to fair grounds.

Either way, never really felt unsafe.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    People just have unnecessary fear. Why are poor youths not allowed to hang around together? In nice areas noone worries about kids spending time together theyre at an age where none of them own houses so they have nowhere to go apart from the streets
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    l was brought up on a council estate and there were no roughians - or ruffians - except me. i was that roughian/ruffian.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Most towns and cities have a rough area, but does not mean that area is a council estate
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in one of the roughest areas in Liverpool, however it wasn't a council estate. Fights, guns, knives, drugs, gangs - I'm so grateful to have managed to do well enough in life so far to have bought a lovely little cottage in the countryside. Its like a completely different world to what I have known previously. I lived in the rough area all my life up until only 5 weeks ago (I'm 22), when the purchase of my house completed and I could move in. The difference living somewhere nice makes to your life is amazing.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been drug dealers here, fights and vandalism. There's regularly boy racers that want others to hear how loud their car engines are. Saying all this though, it's not half as bad as some areas in Newcastle probably are.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    If you get an asbo family in your street it can be a nightmare. They are like a different species of human.
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have lived on council estates for most of my life. And in my experience rough areas tend to be restricted to particular streets or even parts of streets rather than rough estates. As others have said, it's often the external perception that an area is rough rather than a reality.

I remember when I moved into this house a taxi driver asked me if we saw much trouble given it was a rough area. I was completely surprised by his opinion as it was a quiet little road where the only people you saw were children on their way to school. The neighbours were friendly, approachable and the kids all played together and wandered in and out of their friends house.
    It's easy to say that an area is rough but living there might give a completely different view so it's best not to make assumptions.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    It's brilliant.

We stand around all day smoking weed and throwing stones at buses them we go down the co-op and rob the cider.

yeah, and after that you can always do a bit of 'git surfing' :cool:

I also like filming drug deals and putting them on youtube :cool:
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 80s I lived in Farnborough in Hants and it had a GLC overflow estate, many so called ruffians were moved down from London and everyone expected trouble, but the flats were upgraded and everyone was given a sense of security with doormen and security doors and bells, and the place was lifted and felt like a positive place to live. My friend lived there and not once did I feel intimidated walking along the corridors there.

It still had a reputation of being the roughest place for miles around, but personally I never saw that side of it.

Most social housing is now being built alongside private houses and round here you can only tell the difference by the front gardens social housing ones seem to be kept tidier.

Yes the Totland estate was not a pleasant place. Fortunately we live the other end of town.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe the OP was only asking bout those really rough estates?

I've never lived in a council estate, rough or otherwise, but I've visited plenty thanks to friends/work, and I agree they can be a mixed bag. Sometimes within estates you can have a really nice stairwell that's beautifully kept, with bits of furniture and plants in the common areas, right next door to one that stinks of booze/urine/drugs and with a couple of doors boarded over. That applies to areas of council as well as housing association housing. They are a bit interchangeable around here.

One of the supposedly "roughest" areas near me is a village which is very poor, but the people who live there claim to love it. The thing is that they know everyone, and look out for each other, but the people I know from there admit that it would be terrible for an incomer. The people from there are all very loud, and drink a lot and smoke a lot and it's not that unusual for the young men to end up in prison or in car crashes, so I'm not that convinced it's that wonderful. Listening to the stories (from residents) there seems to be a disproportionate number of them dying young. It's probably the whole poverty and lifestyle thing. But they won't steal from their neighbours, and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Then there are a couple of estates that people from regular estates are wary of.
    Growing up on a rough estate I didnt even think about it.
    It is just your enviroment and you get on with it.
    It was when I moved away I realised just how awful and needlessly violent it was.
    Occasionaly I go back in a professional capacity and am depressed to see how mamy of the people I grew up with havent moved on with their lives and gotten out.
    Many are now grandparents with sprawling families of three generations still living there.
    Drugs there are a much bigger problem now too.

I agree there is a danger that people become 'trapped', partly because they don't know anything different. I know someone who works with people with drug problems, and he says there are certain estates where not developing a drug problem makes you the exception.

Thankfully, most estates aren't like that, and as they build new estates, better town planning can make them more pleasant places.