Options

Rooney, having a go at fans for booing

Comments

• Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    finkly wrote: »
    No, I haven't. I support England but i'm not a diehard fan, and I definitely wouldn't spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds travelling to support them, only to spend my time booing them when they don't live up to the ridiculous expectations placed upon them.

Then with all due respect you have no idea how the fan in the stadium feels.
    If you have spent a small fortune on travel and accomodation, worked out the logistics of getting time off work and possibly childcare the least you can expect is a little pride in the shirt and some good old fashioned fighting spirit.

I have never booed England, but can understand the frustrations felt tonight. Those players are so far removed from the reality of life that the reason for the boos probably didn't cross Rooney's mind.

Some people will have made huge sacrifices to get there and may spend the next two years paying it all off.

BTW, I don't think it's ridiculous to expect us to beat Algeria or the USA for that matter.
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were not constantly booed in that game. They were booed AFTER the game. It was an appalling performance. Algeria are not a team that can play a bit, they're an awful side. Fact.

Its a remarkable coincidence that the bad patch suddenly comes when the tournaments start. This is a deeper problem than just a side out of form.

If i had paid that amount, gone that far to see that performance, cheer throughout the game despite everything, then aired my disappointment after the game, to have the 6 figure a week Wayne Rooney mouth off to the camera. What a royal penis.

No, that was a bad choice of words on my part. They weren't constantly booed, but they were being booed a while before the match was over.

Look, i'm not trolling here, I know it was an awful performance and the fans have a right to be disappointed, but booing the players is not the way to improve performances. This england team, and every england team, are susceptible to the completely unreasonable pressure placed upon them. They're not a Spain or Brazil who can pass around and find openings against stubborn defences - they never have been. We're not a creative team, we thrive when playing counter-attack against teams that come at us. Even if we don't win, that's when we always look our best.

It was a bad game, but that was because Algeria pressed hard and we're not exactly the best passers of the ball at the best of times, let alone under pressure.

I just don't agree with the sentiment that the players weren't trying. This is the biggest stage for them, and I can't believe that it's through lack of effort that they fail to get results. We're just not in the elite of teams and don't have the nous to get past teams convincingly, constantly. But I don't think the players should be booed for that, it's not their fault that the media hypes them up so much.

If you're spending all that money to go see the games, why wouldn't you support them all the way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Then with all due respect you have no idea how the fan in the stadium feels.
    If you have spent a small fortune on travel and accomodation, worked out the logistics of getting time off work and possibly childcare the least you can expect is a little pride in the shirt and some good old fashioned fighting spirit.

I have never booed England, but can understand the frustrations felt tonight. Those players are so far removed from the reality of life that the reason for the boos probably didn't cross Rooney's mind.

Some people will have made huge sacrifices to get there and may spend the next two years paying it all off.

I accept completely the disappointment of the fans but I think that's down to the unrealistic expectations of the team. I do think they show pride in the shirt and that they desperately want to do well for england, but the pressure on them and their style of play is just not suited to international football. I don't think they should be vilified for that.
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England fans in South Africa:"Hoorah! Well played chaps for not scoring a goal against a team that has lost its last five matches. Well done, indeedy!"

Is the kind of support these bell-ends need? These "sportsmen" are paid a small fortune to travel the world and win matches. They are hyped up to the nth degree and have performed woefully this World Cup. Meanwhile, Johnny Punter spends his hard-earned cash following the team and gets very disappointed when they can't even score against Algeria...Algeria, for christ's sake.

What is the point of Rooney anyway? He was good when he was younger but now he even lacks rudimentary ball control. I watched all three broadcast matches today and our performance was shockingly bad.

But hey, it's only a game, innit? Come on USA!
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    finkly wrote: »
    I accept completely the disappointment of the fans but I think that's down to the unrealistic expectations of the team. I do think they show pride in the shirt and that they desperately want to do well for england, but the pressure on them and their style of play is just not suited to international football. I don't think they should be vilified for that.

Do you honestly think it's unrealistic to expect us to beat Algeria ?

If so, then we may as well fly home now. Both the team and the fans should expect to win every game as mental strength is every bit as important as performance on the pitch.

I agree with you that they obviously try hard and want to do well, but the frustrated and pouty looks tonight told their own story.

Rooney should take a leaf out of Gerrard's book. At least he told the truth and did it with dignity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Button62 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think it's unrealistic to expect us to beat Algeria ?

If so, then we may as well fly home now. Both the team and the fans should expect to win every game as mental strength is every bit as important as performance on the pitch.

I agree with you that they obviously try hard and want to do well, but the frustrated and pouty looks tonight told their own story.

Rooney should take a leaf out of Gerrard's book. At least he told the truth and did it with dignity.

No, I don't think it's unrealistic for England to beat Algeria. But the pressure on England isn't just for this game, it's for the whole tournament. For the whole of the last season they've been talked up as one of the favourites for the tournament - it's the same every time, and this must play on the players.

Mental strength is probably their biggest downfall. You can see it with all the penalty shootouts over the years - the players always look terrified, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - they expect to crumble, so they do.

Surely the best thing to do would be to try and take some of that pressure away by not booing at the slightest hint of trouble?
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it any wonder fans are annoyed? These idiots strut around on the pitch on very excessive wages and put on a very poor show that could have been bettered by "sunday morning" amateur footballers. The standard of the English Team football has been in decline for years,made up of arrogant wasters who don't put the time and effort in beforehand and during the match. We seem to get not very far in the Euro or World cups at all nowadays.

I really do think that:

a) The Players on all football teams should go onto a performance related pay structure. Basic wage + bonuses for goals scored nd team performance. rather than be paid a excessive wage for failure as the current system encourages.
    b) Get players in who are genuinely interested in the sport and not the money - plenty of people would be grateful of the chance to get into football with money not being the driving factor.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry but that's just nonsense. Do you really think that the team that wins this World Cup will be a team of underpaid people not interested in money?

It will be won by people like Tevez, Messi, Kaka, Villa, Robhino, Klose, Camoranese and the like. Highly paid players all.
    What England are lacking is team spirit and belief in the system they are playing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a rather depressing photo on the Sun's website of our boys in Afghanistan watching the game on TV.

They look about the same age as the current England squad. You might even believe that they were professional footballers just by looking at them.

They're wearing England replica shirts and cheering on the team.

Hero-worship.

Something has gone wrong somewhere.
  • Options
    FerrariF40FerrariF40 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    With the amount of fans have paid and how much they must have looked forward to it they have every right to show their discontent.

Their was no heart, no passion and they couldn't do anything, it was such an appalling standard I couldn't believe it. I saw performances from league 1 teams that were miles better last season and I don't mean that for affect, I am serious.

This ^

Before I say any more, I would like to make it clear that I'm not Scottish/Irish/Welsh or any other member nation of the 'Anyone But England' brigade. I'm not a Scouse angry that Rooney is playing for Mancs. I'm just your archetypal Englishman and it pains me to have to write this about my national team - I would absolutely love to be on here this morning saying "**** me, we were awesome ..." - but I've got to call it as I see it.

I was listening on 5 Live as I was in the car for the full duration of the match and from what I've read since, it would seem the game was just as bad as it sounded.

I hate the fact that it should really come down to money, but what Rooney and those defending him have got to realise is that the English fans who travelled and bought tickets for this game are people that earn in a YEAR at best half, and more likely less, than what Rooney earns in a WEEK without all his sponsorship deals as a nice little bonus.

These fans may have been saving for weeks, months or possibly years to get there for that match. When they do so and they are met with an inept England display versus a team against which we should be comfortably putting away four or five goals, they have every bloody right to boo.

If Rooney doesn't like it, he needs to take a long hard look at himself and put himself in a fan's position - he was originally working-class and must have known what it was like to have to scrimp and save to follow his dreams. This is partly the arrogance that comes with constantly being told you're the automatic first-choice England striker and partly, sadly again, the arrogance that comes with having more money than you know what to do with.

As someone else said, in regard to his post-match comments, he needs to take a leaf from Steven Gerrard's book.
  • Options
    MilhouseVHMilhouseVH Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a remarkable coincidence that the bad patch suddenly comes when the tournaments start. This is a deeper problem than just a side out of form.

Or another way of looking at it, the bad patch coincides with the stripping of the captains armband from Terry.

Gerrard as England captain - an awe inspiring record:
    Russia  2-1 England
    England 2-3 Croatia
    England 2-1 Switzerland
    England 1-1 USA
    Algeria 0-0 England

Terry is now simply there to play and be there, as opposed to leading. He's no longer commanding, the team has no one to look to for a push, and from the results this is something that Gerrard can't do for England.

Capello caved into to media pressure around Terry thanks to the News of The Worlds agenda to bring Terry down hook or by crook, and so Capello had to take Ferdinand because he was vice captain despite being unfit - that is until he broke down again, which left him with Gerrard as third choice captain going into the World Cup.

If Capello wasn't such an arrogant **** he'd have reinstated Terry as captain by now, and definitely still should for the third game if it's not to be Englands last in this tournament.

But he won't, and if England go out then there is only the manager to blame.

Oh, and the News of The World.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you pay your money then you have the right to boo Rooney's attitude showed nothing but contempt for the fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the fans paid thousands to be there, even when times are tough back home and a bit of heart and spirit from England would have been apprciated. If it were say Brazil in a tough match then you could understand the result but it was Algeria and I'm not surprised the fans were pissed off!

This.

Although I'm sure Brazil did get booed off at half time against the mighty North Korea.
  • Options
    tartan18tartan18 Posts: 2,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MilhouseVH wrote: »

Capello caved into to media pressure around Terry thanks to the News of The Worlds agenda to bring Terry down hook or by crook, and so Capello had to take Ferdinand because he was vice captain despite being unfit - that is until he broke down again, which left him with Gerrard as third choice captain going into the World Cup.

If Capello wasn't such an arrogant **** he'd have reinstated Terry as captain by now, and definitely still should for the third game if it's not to be Englands last in this tournament.

But he won't, and if England go out then there is only the manager to blame.
    Oh, and the News of The World.

:)

And.................. John Terry
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Rooney: "Nice to be booed by your home fans."

Viewers: "Try playing well, your over-ratted, under-talented ars*hole.

All night long, Rooney displayed the fact that he has poor ball control, little idea, and is only 'the best player in England' when he is served by the best players in the world at MU. Shorn of their skills, he's almost as useless as Heskey. :mad:

Worst of all, Postman Pat simply lacks the bottle to take Rooney off the pitch and tell him he's not good enough. Also, what is the point of sending on proven goal scorers such as DeFoe and Crouch, with just minutes to spare. Had they been on at half time, or preferably after 20 minutes of the rubbish we were subjected to, things might've been different. But, oh, no can't have the super chav upset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tartan18 wrote: »
    And.................. John Terry

He's only done what most England captains have done before him (ie. had an extra-marital affair).

The FA and Capello in particular caved to media pressure. It was a private matter, Terry did nothing wrong other than to cheat on his wife - hardly a major crime in this day and age and certainly not enough to strip of him the captaincy weeks away from the World Cup, that was sheer lunacy and if England fail because of it (which seems likely) I'll laugh like a drain.

Well done, News of The World - mission accomplished! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it was only a matter of time, but it's just been suggested on BBC Breakfast, that maybe the reason for England's disappointing performances it because the WAG's aren't there. They said the players don't look happy, don't look like they're having fun etc, and "they're in South Africa. they should be having fun".

Excuse me, but they aren't on holiday, they are there to do a job, and the Safari etc didn't exactly look like 'hell on earth'.

Rooney was wrong to say what he did on camera (he can rant all he wants in the dressing room), but, while not buying a ticket with 'England Win' guaranteed (ridiculous suggestion), the fans at very least deserve effort. I can understand his anger and frustration at the team's performance, and I'd have been hanging my head rather than retaliating, but that's got him in trouble before.

Capello looks as though he's on another planet, and in his interview, he came across as an outsider, simply passing comment, not the team manager.

As for that fan getting into the dressing room, perhaps they should give him a pair of boots and tell him he's playing next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's only done what most England captains have done before him (ie. had an extra-marital affair).

The FA and Capello in particular caved to media pressure. It was a private matter, Terry did nothing wrong other than to cheat on his wife - hardly a major crime in this day and age and certainly not enough to strip of him the captaincy weeks away from the World Cup, that was sheer lunacy and if England fail because of it (which seems likely) I'll laugh like a drain.

Well done, News of The World - mission accomplished! )

He put himself in that position knowing that the media would pounce if found out - end of
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst of all, Postman Pat simply lacks the bottle to take Rooney off the pitch and tell him he's not good enough. Also, what is the point of sending on proven goal scorers such as DeFoe and Crouch, with just minutes to spare. Had they been on at half time, or preferably after 20 minutes of the rubbish we were subjected to, things might've been different. But, oh, no can't have the super chav upset.

Worst still, he didn't put Crouch on until 6 minutes from the end and he was the only one likely to get onto the end of those SWP crosses, assuming SWP didn't run the ball out of play before getting his cross in.

Capello is making spectacularly bad choices and seems to be slavishly picking players based on experience rather than form. I'd drop Rooney, Heskey, Lennon/SWP, Johnstone and Gerrard for the next game - if not England are coming home.

David Pleat called it right on Gerrards performance last night - he failed to play in the position he was given and screwed up the midfield and left Ashley Cole exposed, mark of a captain? I really don't think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tartan18 wrote: »
    He put himself in that position knowing that the media would pounce if found out - end of

Not disagreeing with what he did, but was it bad enough to strip him of the captaincy? Capello should have grown some balls, and is now paying the price for not having any.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Capello is making spectacularly bad choices and seems to be slavishly picking players based on experience rather than form. I'd drop Rooney, Heskey, Lennon/SWP, Johnstone and Gerrard for the next game - if not England are coming home.

I agree, with the possible exception of Lennon, who is at least trying to make an effort. I just wish Postman Pat had had the brains to take Walcott, who is nippy and can cross the ball, rather than the lumbering Heskey. :(

It's embarrassing to see Gerrard's lack of leadership skills, and inability to play out of his normal position. Terry, while unable to keep his c*ock to himself, was at least a capable Captain for England.
  • Options
    AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Media' should shoulder their share of the blame for creating the ludicrous 'celeb worship' culture, but it couldn't exist in a vacuum without the support of millions of brainless women who breathlessly follow the antics of the likes of Cheryl Cole and Victoria Beckham and thus dictate the fate of sportsmen who are dumb enough to become involved with the vacuous bints.

Personally, I couldn't give a flying f**k who is sleeping with whom - I don't care if players are heterosexual, asexual, homosexual, monosexual, or metrosexual - it's got nowt to do with me or anyone else but those who are involved.

All I'm interested in is how effective they are on their chosen field of play, whether it's John Terry, Ashley Cole, Tiger Woods or whoever is unlucky enough to be this week's News of the World/ Daily Heil target.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terry, while unable to keep his c*ock to himself, was at least a capable Captain for England.

That's the point - do England fans want to see England go through to the next round, or are they happier to see them coming back on the next flight as long as John Terry continues to remain punished for what was an entirely and completely overblown private matter?

It's undeniable that he is a chav extraordinaire, but does that matter when his replacement can't even play where he is told to play let alone lead the team? It's not as if Terry committed murder or anything more henious - he shagged a woman, for crying out loud! What England captain hasn't done that?

Bobby Moore? Serial adulterer. Lineker, same.

And to top it all, the bloke brought in to clean up sleaze in the FA and put the pressure on Terry, that slime-bag Triesman, got the boot for doing the same thing. You couldn't make this up.
  • Options
    Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    Drop Rooney, his head isn't in it and/or he's not fully fit.

Without Rooney, you don't need Heskey - drop him too.

Replace both with Crouch and Defoe.

Gerrard and Lampard can't play together - drop one or the other, or pin Gerrard in central midfield and allow Lampard to roam up front with the two strikers.

Dropping Gerrard is unlikely though as Capello has painted himself into a corner since stripping Terry of the captains armband (which happens to coincide with Englands dramatic loss of form - thanks NoTW).

Drop Lennon, he was no better than SWP tonight, and I can't believe Capello brought on SWP as his replacement - he should bring in Joe Cole instead. Joe Cole has had an awful season but there has never been a day in his life when he hasn't been better than SWP.

Johnson at the back is a complete liability - Algerian wingers we going past him like he wasn't there. Not sure who to replace him with as with King out (idiotic risk to take, nice one Fabio) and Carragher on two bookings and unable to play in the next game, the defence is looking pretty threadbare.

Exactly, and had capello done that at half time last night the headlines might have been different today. Seems Rooney has some hold over him as he's afraid to replace him no matter how badly he plays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Capello media backlash is starting.

Two years at £6m/year. No get out clause. Contract extended before seeing how he performs in a major tournament - and seemingly he "can't hack it".

The FA really are rank amateurs.