Homicide Life On the Street

DanDud17DanDud17 Posts: 53
Forum Member
I want to draw your attention to this tv gem, I don't know where its been hiding on tv sceduals but thank god i got it on dvd. Initialy i was a bit hesitent cos it was made by the same people who made the Wire, and I just couldnt get into that show. But I bought HOmicide to go with the Law & Order Crossover episodes. I love Law & Order and have Season 1-7 on DVD but Homicide is a diffrent animal altogether.

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    So you don't have Homicide from the beginning? You are just watching the stuff from around the time they did the cross-overs with Law & Order? You should start from the beginning. I have seen the whole series and the best part of the series is the earlier stuff.
  • snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, used to watch it years ago.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    That was filmed from 93-99 probably stopped been aired over here (Channel4) around 200/1 at a guess.
    Homicide is old news to some of us.
    The Making of doc is quite good too explains the precarious nature of the whole thing getting near the TV screens at all.
    Lost track of it near the end Ch4 moved it around a bit.

Don't know why it wasn't more popular on either side of the pond.
    Edit: another thread on this
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1334358&highlight=homicide
    The Corner has been mentioned on one of the threads here about, that's good too, that seemed to go under the radar when it aired on Ch4 too.
  • DanDud17DanDud17 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    So you don't have Homicide from the beginning? You are just watching the stuff from around the time they did the cross-overs with Law & Order? You should start from the beginning. I have seen the whole series and the best part of the series is the earlier stuff.

No, i mean i watched Law & Order season 6 all episodes except Charm city cause its a cross over with H:LOTS so i bought the complete box set of Homicide cheap and decided to give it ago. I have seen it from the begining, im currently on Season 4 (or Season 3 as the UK ordering of the boxsets go as Seasons 1 and 2 were put together). It's a very good show, what happend to the guy who played Pembleton, did he go on to do bigger and better things. Cos i like the character of pembleton.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    DanDud17 wrote: »
    ... what happend to the guy who played Pembleton, did he go on to do bigger and better things. Cos i like the character of pembleton.

I don't know about bigger or better. The Pembleton role may well be the defining one of his career, but he has gotten steady work in TV and film. He was even a series lead in two series on American TV, Gideon's Crossing in 2000-01, and Thief in 2006. I also remember seeing him in the movie Fantastic Four: The Rise of The Silver Surfer. The last time I saw him was in some episodes of season 6 of House.
  • avidreaderavidreader Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homicide: LOTS was the best police programme ever, bar none. The first three seasons were the best. It was so refreshing to see actors who actually looked like police officers, rather than the glammed up straight-off-the-catwalk look that you get in tosh like CSI. The book that the show was based on (called Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets) by David Simon is a fantastic read too. All the early cases in the show were based on real life cases, and the detectives were based on real life detectives.

Admittedly, the show was not as good in the last couple of seasons, but it was still better than any other police shows. (I do like the original Law & Order series though.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    'Pembleton' is now in a cracking show, over in the states called 'Men of a Certain Age' with scott bakula, and i enjoy that very much.

I loved HLOTS, and watched it on its recent ITV4 run a couple of years back, including the film at the end.

Great show, and even The Wire made subtle references to it in certain episodes.