"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" - Absolute Drivel!

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
I enjoyed the first Larrson book and the second was ok-ay but I've nearly finished struggling through TGWKTHN and it has been one of the worst books I've ever read. It was so bloated, so badly in need of serious editing, so tedious and boring.

e.g., in the style of Larsson:

"Blomkvist woke earlier than usual, got up and showered, using his favourite herbal shower gel, before getting dressed and having some breakfast: a bacon sandwich, complete with some brown sauce served up on a blue and white plate. The Colombian coffee was delicious, a rich blend that he bought regularly from a small shop on a corner near his apartment. He then walked to the office, enjoying the sunshine of the early morning. The buildings he passed were of all different types, some made of stone, some of brick, some white, others darker, but this was Stockholm and there were a lot of buildings in Stockholm that day".

FFS! Get on with it!

All the characters do is sit around in groups talking to each other and reading different files. It is all indescribably tedious. I hate Salander as a character and always have done. She is totally repellent and impossible to sympathise with. But Blomkvist is even worse. I despise him. His faux-Bohemian, middle-class, self-satisfied, self-righteous, pseudo-intelligentsia smugness is unbearable!

The plot is contorted and boring. Larrson goes on for pages describing the inner workings of some secret police department. I actually skipped entire paragraphs, something I hardly ever do when reading. Fair enough, Larsson enjoys getting on his soapbox about his 'causes' but I resent having it so dictatorially forced down my throat.

Finally, the book is stuffed with the sort of man-hating crap more characteristic of a deranged 1960s feminist. In the book, all the men are either weird, sex-perverts and/or criminals and all the women either feisty freedom-fighters or victims (except for the men like Blomkvist who have adopted supposedly feminine traits - Blomkvist ends up with some short-haired, tall blonde who is physically stronger than he is). It's all appalling trash.

I cannot think why this book has had such good reviews or such an easy ride (apart from the obvious answer that it's just an Emperor's New Clothes scenario brought on by the sudden death of the author).

:mad::)

Comments

• trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was drivel. Overall I thought the Trilogy was fantastic, but the problem with the last book is that it doesn't offer anything. There is very little in it that we didn't already know from the 2nd book.....and it is that reason why I found it a little disappointing.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say it was drivel. Overall I thought the Trilogy was fantastic, but the problem with the last book is that it doesn't offer anything. There is very little in it that we didn't already know from the 2nd book.....and it is that reason why I found it a little disappointing.

You mean it was 700+ pages of nothing ;)
  • CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say drivel, but the Hornets Nest was my least favourite of the three, and I actually preferred the film to the book, something that's never happened to me before.

As a concluding part to a trilogy, I found the book weirdly unsatisfying mostly due to Salander's absence. But it's worth bearing in mind that it was never intended to be a trilogy, so I'm going on the theory that Larsson was 'resting' her until book four when she'd pop back up again.

OT but I work in a bookshop and one of our customers claims there are over 50 mentions of coffee in the Hornets Nest alone :eek:
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pages about amazonians only having one breast amused me no end. They had nothing (that i could see) to do with the actual story. Im not entriely convinced that they werent part of another book Larrson was writing about that accidently ended up in his Hornets nest MS.
    Amazonians only had one breast, however there is no evidence whatsoever to back this up.
    The last 100 or so pages of the book were great, the rest of it was pretty pish
    Forum Member
    The pages about amazonians only having one breast amused me no end. They had nothing (that i could see) to do with the actual story. Im not entriely convinced that they werent part of another book Larrson was writing about that accidently ended up in his Hornets nest MS.
    Amazonians only had one breast, however there is no evidence whatsoever to back this up.

I've got about 40 pages left to read. I can't believe I've nearly made it to the end, and yes, the stuff about the Amazons was just pointless (unless we're supposed to equate Salander with an Amazon). I was gutted that Blomkvist
    didn't get gunned down in the restaurant.

I've never read a book in which the main characters are so unbearably smug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have skipped pages too as I don't remember anything about amazonians and come to think of it, I now don't remember much about the book at all. It took me ages to finish the 3rd one as it was so blah.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    Yeah, everyone knows they all have a pair of big'uns!!
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the first Larrson book and the second was ok-ay but I've nearly finished struggling through TGWKTHN and it has been one of the worst books I've ever read. It was so bloated, so badly in need of serious editing, so tedious and boring.

e.g., in the style of Larsson:

"Blomkvist woke earlier than usual, got up and showered, using his favourite herbal shower gel, before getting dressed and having some breakfast: a bacon sandwich, complete with some brown sauce served up on a blue and white plate. The Colombian coffee was delicious, a rich blend that he bought regularly from a small shop on a corner near his apartment. He then walked to the office, enjoying the sunshine of the early morning. The buildings he passed were of all different types, some made of stone, some of brick, some white, others darker, but this was Stockholm and there were a lot of buildings in Stockholm that day".

FFS! Get on with it!

All the characters do is sit around in groups talking to each other and reading different files. It is all indescribably tedious. I hate Salander as a character and always have done. She is totally repellent and impossible to sympathise with. But Blomkvist is even worse. I despise him. His faux-Bohemian, middle-class, self-satisfied, self-righteous, pseudo-intelligentsia smugness is unbearable!

The plot is contorted and boring. Larrson goes on for pages describing the inner workings of some secret police department. I actually skipped entire paragraphs, something I hardly ever do when reading. Fair enough, Larsson enjoys getting on his soapbox about his 'causes' but I resent having it so dictatorially forced down my throat.

Finally, the book is stuffed with the sort of man-hating crap more characteristic of a deranged 1960s feminist. In the book, all the men are either weird, sex-perverts and/or criminals and all the women either feisty freedom-fighters or victims (except for the men like Blomkvist who have adopted supposedly feminine traits - Blomkvist ends up with some short-haired, tall blonde who is physically stronger than he is). It's all appalling trash.

I cannot think why this book has had such good reviews or such an easy ride (apart from the obvious answer that it's just an Emperor's New Clothes scenario brought on by the sudden death of the author).

:mad::)
    I am currently reading The Girl Who Played With Fire, there are lots of paragraphs with this kind of tedious description in this book. It took me a while to like the first book in the trilogy, I find the books a tad overlong, there is too much padding for me. It would have been better if the books were about 350 - 400 pages.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it. It took a while for me to get into it but after that I really liked it. The girl who played with fire was my favourite of the three but I enjoyed them all. Such a shame that there won't be anymore books from Larsson.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my favourite of the three.

Really enjoyed the build up to the court case. It was a very satisfying end to a wonderful trilogy.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I thought the first was boring, vapid twaddle, so at least he's consistent it seems. One of the things I really hated, along with the endless longeurs, was that you got the impression that Blomkvist was a stylised version of Larrson himself - a vision of how he'd like to be. Pure male wank fantasy.
    Forum Member
    I thought the first was boring, vapid twaddle, so at least he's consistent it seems. One of the things I really hated, along with the endless longeurs, was that you got the impression that Blomkvist was a stylised version of Larrson himself - a vision of how he'd like to be. Pure male wank fantasy.

I agree with every word. Yes, the fact that Blomkvist was an idealised version of how Larrson wanted to be was painfully obvious.

Anyway, I've now finished it, thank god. Even the ending managed to go on and on and on. One ridiculous final episode involved Salander going to Gibraltar and we were given a long, detailed and utterly boring back story about her accountant! And then the scene with her brother at the end seemed totally rushed and incidental. I wonder whether it wasn't tacked on by someone else after Larrson died in order to tie up the loose ends.

I reviewed it on Amazon and gave it 2 out of 5 stars.
  • Nicky2win87Nicky2win87 Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be in the minority in this thread but I loved the book, loved all 3 in fact!

I agree with some others though, I don't think it was intended to be a trilogy, apparently, according to some websites he was in the middle of the 4th book, but I don't know if thats just rumours or what.

The court case and the arrests of Sapo was probably the best writing of all 3 books, I was hooked!
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I thought they were all hugely over rated, Didn't think much of the first but wanted to see what happened the character, so proceeded through to the third, which was uitterly ridiculous, but by that stage I expected nothing more.
    If they had had been edited down they could have been alot better, but it is what it is, populist thriller, I've read alot worse.:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the only one of the trilogy I have yet to read, was saving it up. The first two I really enjoyed though, so I hope to enjoy this one as well when I finally get around to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only read the first two so far. Just finished The Girl who Played with Fire - and I was struck by the sheer amount of unnecessary detail. There's quite a long piece about Salander buying her new flat and then going to Ikea to furnish it. We get lists of furniture, crockery and bedding - with names! I wondered if Ikea were sponsoring the book at one point.

I'd also agree with others who say that Blomkvist is somewhat smug. And all the women characters seem to fall into bed with him at the drop of a Billy bookcase.
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    I really liked the 3rd book, I actually like the level of detail in the descriptions, I find it helps flesh out the characters - for example
    Just finished The Girl who Played with Fire - and I was struck by the sheer amount of unnecessary detail. There's quite a long piece about Salander buying her new flat and then going to Ikea to furnish it. We get lists of furniture, crockery and bedding - with names! I wondered if Ikea were sponsoring the book at one point.

I thought that passage was great, and even found myself thinking of checking out the Ikea website to see what some of the stuff was she'd bought. :D But I always say you can tell a lot about a person by the type of furniture they buy, or something!

I'd agree Blomkvist was a bit annoyingly smug at times, but I don't mind being annoyed at characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also agree with others who say that Blomkvist is somewhat smug. And all the women characters seem to fall into bed with him at the drop of a Billy bookcase.

This made me chuckle.