The Look of Love - Paul Raymond bio-pic with Steve Coogan

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
really looking forward to this , brilliant casting , and directed by michael winterbottom .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951216/

there was quite a good documentary about Raymond a couple of years ago , he had quite a life.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    really looking forward to this , brilliant casting , and directed by michael winterbottom .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1951216/

there was quite a good documentary about Raymond a couple of years ago , he had quite a life.

Anything directed by the vastly overrated Winterbottom I find a depressing prospect.
  • FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Steve Coogan is the finest comic actor this country has ever produced.

Can't wait for this.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ^ *Peter Sellers turns in his grave*
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ *Peter Sellers turns in his grave*

Coogan almost played Sellers in the biopic , but they went with Geoffrey Rush instead .
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coogan almost played Sellers in the biopic , but they went with Geoffrey Rush instead .

While Rush was a great choice, Coogan would have done a brilliant job. He studied Peter Sellers for a long time in preparation for that role. In a way I'm glad he didn't get it because he could have become known as someone who 'does' Peter Sellers instead of a comedy actor in his own right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I don't rate Coogan. He's been carried by that Alan Partridge role for years, and that is wearing thin now. Paul and Pauline Calf were never as good and took off.
    In a similar way he is like Barry Humphries. He hit the jackpot with Dame Edna, but never managed it again with Sir Les Patterson and other characters or roles etc.

Putting that aside, I still don't understand why this film has even been made. Paul Raymond was never a big name internationally like a Hugh Hefner and even in this country you have to be of a certain age to know who he was. For the people that did know the name, would they know enough about him to care about seeing this film?
    When I was younger his name meant nudie mags on the top shelf. That was it. he would be on the same level of David Sullivan. Another nudie mag publisher and.....? Other than owning football clubs what has he actually done?

I really can't see who this film is aimed at.
  • FrankJaegerFrankJaeger Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    I don't rate Coogan. He's been carried by that Alan Partridge role for years, and that is wearing thin now. Paul and Pauline Calf were never as good and took off.
    In a similar way he is like Barry Humphries. He hit the jackpot with Dame Edna, but never managed it again with Sir Les Patterson and other characters or roles etc.

Alan Partridge will always be Coogan's greatest achievement but it's daft to say he has been carried by the Partridge character.

Was David Jason carried by Del Boy? Was John Cleese carried by Basil Fawlty?
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First impression for a lot of people would be that Coogan was doing a comedy biopic of a fictitious personality, because most people haven't a clue who this guy is.