F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2013 Season (Part 2)

Comments

• RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the pit lane restrictions have a feel of eager over reaction about them - almost like its the excuse F1 wanted to restrict media access yet more.

Why is it F1 is so blind to the need to engage the average fan, not exclude them.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so disjointed. Sometimes you wait one week for a race, then its a 3 week gap, occasionally 2.

And honestly, I think there are too many races, F1 should be an event, once you go to 20 races and beyond its just too much.

20 races for me is a right number, it's the gaps. When it was 17/18 race calendar there was always 2 week gaps, except for maybe France/GB then together and then a 3 week summer break. For me this has been pointless with the 4 week summer break happening we have 2 '3 week' periods during the last couple of months.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,078
    Forum Member
    apparently latest tests show that murray walkers condition has improved alot
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20 races for me is a right number, it's the gaps. When it was 17/18 race calendar there was always 2 week gaps, except for maybe France/GB then together and then a 3 week summer break.

Yeah, the calendar is very stop/start and means the sport struggles to build momentum. If I recall correctly, Bernievision was actually in someways responsible for the every-other-week schedule that F1 ran in the late 90s/early 00s because they couldn't actually de-rig and re-rig the whole operation any quicker than that. The continuity and flow it brought to the season was a nice side-effect.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And honestly, I think there are too many races, F1 should be an event, once you go to 20 races and beyond its just too much.

Once you get to 20 it's all much of a muchness if it's 20, 21 or 22, really.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more races they do, The more the Sky F1 channel is justified. BBC might get fed up through and just shove on highlights for extra races.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so disjointed. Sometimes you wait one week for a race, then its a 3 week gap, occasionally 2.

I agree it's disjointed but disagree about the number of races. As a non sky f1 subscriber, relying on bbc coverage makes it feel even more disjointed. It just doesn't feel proper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    The more races they do, The more the Sky F1 channel is justified. BBC might get fed up through and just shove on highlights for extra races.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't the BBC still get half the races live if more race events were added to the calendar?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spannersf1 wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't the BBC still get half the races live if more race events were added to the calendar?

Correct.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More races the better i say, one every week if possible please. Never get enough F1.

Looks like its heading to 24 at least, Journalists wont like it, but its more content for media. Teams will need two sets of mechanics to cover it all without burning out, but thats good for the industry.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Anyway, After the final season of A1GP we have the 1st season of SuperLeague Formula & there screaming V12's :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbM7X17wy_hu1ZKn3ijj7HzVACyupUm_E

Now there was a series with the best one make single seater cars on the planet that was mismanaged by a terrible concept.

What happened to those cars, I wonder? :confused:
  • gd49gd49 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    It's bad news all round if true but completely and utterly predictable. The BBC for all their 'The only place to watch F1' spiel has fallen out of love it seems with the sport, it takes up far too much of their live scheduling.

Does it? Others than the few live primetime races I would have thought the BBC schedulers would appreciate having new available content to show in the daytime. Free practice is now on bbc2 because someone thought it was better than repeats that make up the rest of the weekday daytime schedule. Weekend daytime schedule has a fair few repeats in it too, would be interesting to see how quali and race viewing figures compare to what bbc1 shows on non race weekends.

If this rumour is true, I can only see it being for financial reasons, I don't think live f1 is preventing the BBC showing any other content.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,078
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    More races the better i say, one every week if possible please. Never get enough F1.

Looks like its heading to 24 at least, Journalists wont like it, but its more content for media. Teams will need two sets of mechanics to cover it all without burning out, but thats good for the industry.

I'm like you in that the more races the better (eg I'm frustrated by this 3 week break which will then be followed by a 4 week break). However, I don't know about 2 sets of mechanics etc being good for the industry. Teams are struggling financially as it is, without having to fork out even more money for basically a second team (this is why they stopped constant in season testing, because of cost, and the need of having 2 teams basically). Plus even if you do that, what about those in the factory (if there was to be say 25 races and 8 days of in season testing, the pitcrews etc could switch, but what about those in the factory, they surely wouldn't get any break, as obviously between races, cars go back, get stripped down, built back up again, repainted, etc, so more races/testing means more work for them without a break).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to watch the Hungarian Grand Prix live and for free: http://www1.skysports.com/cricket/ashes/huggity/2nd-test/

A bit of cricketing knowledge required ;) and takes a bit of time to load, but does the job. Activate on Saturday afternoon to get GP2/GP3 in there too.
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got myself three passes doing that
  • stillgotaboxstillgotabox Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows Phone 8 users can now download the official F1 Live Timing App

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=a01076ee-9cde-4bc7-9ba9-f0d2cd57fff6
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    If you haven't seen it yet, you should watch Honda's advert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO2q8FzcnM
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Can anyone get FP1 and FP2 to play on BBC iPlayer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Can anyone get FP1 and FP2 to play on BBC iPlayer?

I can't - although you'd only be getting commentary anyway as it is a Sky exclusive weekend.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you see what Ted was wearing in practice as a sop to safety you saw rather how much of a wind-back it was from the original ban everyone ruling. Kneejerk? Er, yes.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I know. I was able to record FP1 but BBC appear to have messed up the Freeview 301 EPG info since I double-checked the timers yesterday and it didn't record FP2. They have corrected the FP3 slot error but I have set a locked timer for that just in case. I was planning to listen to FP1 and FP2 in the van while working tomorrow morning.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    I'm like you in that the more races the better (eg I'm frustrated by this 3 week break which will then be followed by a 4 week break). However, I don't know about 2 sets of mechanics etc being good for the industry. Teams are struggling financially as it is, without having to fork out even more money for basically a second team (this is why they stopped constant in season testing, because of cost, and the need of having 2 teams basically). Plus even if you do that, what about those in the factory (if there was to be say 25 races and 8 days of in season testing, the pitcrews etc could switch, but what about those in the factory, they surely wouldn't get any break, as obviously between races, cars go back, get stripped down, built back up again, repainted, etc, so more races/testing means more work for them without a break).

Think its a done deal on 2 teams and the factory works flat out anyway, so nothing new there.

Admittedly it will be financially difficult for the smaller teams, but thats F1. Keep up or go do something else, as Bernie would say.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Wonder what this will be..
    Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1 6m
    The jungle drums are beating...I'm hearing it could be an interesting morning coming up in the paddock.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Wonder what this will be..

Crofty and Ted mentioned a principals meeting with Bernie, all around the concorde agreement.
    Ted said they issued a statement that said they set out a framework for implementation of the concorde agreement.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Sky seriously need to sort out the website race control streams, Its been another weekend full of problems for me so far.

This was yesterday's error accompanied by the frame rate regularly going from a steady 25fps down to 15-19fps with jittery video/audio:
    [Async_ExceptionOccurred]
    Arguments:
    Debugging resource strings are unavailable. Often the key and arguments provide sufficient information to diagnose the problem. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=106663&Version=5.0.20125.00&File=System.dll&Key=Async_ExceptionOccurred

at System.ComponentModel.AsyncCompletedEventArgs.RaiseExceptionIfNecessary()
    at F1MediaCentre.MainPage.<PayLoadPollTimerTick>b__0(Object dsender, DownloadStringCompletedEventArgs arguments)
    at System.Net.WebClient.OnDownloadStringCompleted(DownloadStringCompletedEventArgs e)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadStringOperationCompleted(Object arg)
    Today I just got logged out Mid-FP3 & although I can sign into the sky website it won't let me log into the race control stuff (Thats actually happened 3 other times this year).
    The TV interactive stuff continues to be flawless & I gather the ipad feeds never have issues, Just the online website which is frustrating since thats what I use :mad:

Its 2013, How hard can it be to provide an online streaming service that actually works?

Sent an E-mail to sky so maybe it will actually get looked at & improved, Not holding my breath though.

Getting back to actual TV coverage, FOM are giving us 'Race Facts' now. Kinda interesting I guess.
    http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1595/iigm.jpg
    http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1918/ypjk.jpg
    http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/7681/br29.jpg
This discussion has been closed.