Game of Thrones - Season 5 (contains book spoilers)

Comments

• AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose this counts as the spoiler thread so I'll put this here - casting for next season (contains spoilers obviously) http://watchersonthewall.com/game-of-thrones-season-6-casting-has-begun-and-heres-the-list/

Sounds like Euron and Randyll Tarly are pretty much confirmed :)

Also, it sounds like they might be merging the roles of Septon Meribald/Elder Brother. Could this be to pave the way for The Hound's return?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    The only thing that can save season 5 for me now is a scene of Lady Stoneheart and The Brotherhood without Banners, hanging some Frey's and Lannister's in the Riverlands. Otherwise, It feels like this season was for naught.

The way the show has handled Dorne, just leaves me cold. How could George RR Martin be even remotely happy with the way the showrunners are handling season 5?! If he had a grave he would be spinning in it.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    The only thing that can save season 5 for me now is a scene of Lady Stoneheart and The Brotherhood without Banners, hanging some Frey's and Lannister's in the Riverlands. Otherwise, It feels like this season was for naught.
    Much like AFFC and ADWD then, eh? ;) I honestly think this season is a vast improvement on both tomes which felt like such a waste of pages. Hopefully TWOW is a better read and fingers crossed that D&D actually resolve some of the leftover threads from ADWD at the end of this season (battle of Winterfell, Meereen).
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of the changes made by HBO it's quite telling that many TV and book readers have started to criticise the story at almost the exact same point. For book readers it started back in 2005 and was only further compounded in 2011.
    I think it's time for everyone to admit that a AFFC & ADWD are pretty boring books, of the two I actually preferred AFFC and it get's more hate than ADWD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Much like AFFC and ADWD then, eh? ;) I honestly think this season is a vast improvement on both tomes which felt like such a waste of pages. Hopefully TWOW is a better read and fingers crossed that D&D actually resolve some of the leftover threads from ADWD at the end of this season (battle of Winterfell, Meereen).

I left that thread window open so long you managed to get a pretty similar post in first! Great minds ;-)
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    Regardless of the changes made by HBO it's quite telling that many TV and book readers have started to criticise the story at almost the exact same point. For book readers it started back in 2005 and was only further compounded in 2011.
    I think it's time for everyone to admit that a AFFC & ADWD are pretty boring books, of the two I actually preferred AFFC and it get's more hate than ADWD.

I felt the books you named above needed a good editor, they became very self indulgent. It seemed to me because of the earlier success no one at the publishers felt they could point out how tedious the writing had become....i remember endless lists of the made up food of Dorne.....by the end it became an act of will to continue reading rather than a pleasure.
    Forum Member

I personally love AFFC. ADWD on the other hand... :(

However trying the books length is at times, it still pales in comparison to the sheer idiocy we've seen from the TV show this season. I know some like what they've done, but it just doesn't feel like the same adaptation anymore. It's crap.
    Forum Member
    Oh, believe me, there are some changes the show has made that I sorely dislike, but considering how quickly they're cutting through the kilos of fat both books have to offer, I'm struggling to care enough to consider the season worse.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was there a problem with the Monday evening showing?

Our box only taped 37 mins & after getting the overnight showing, my sister reckoned there was a fair bit missing on the early showing compared to the overnight showing.
    Forum Member
    The finale is going to be called Mother's Mercy.

If one of the meanings of that title does not refer to a certain someone, D&D are masterful trolls.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If one of the meanings of that title does not refer to a certain someone, D&D are masterful trolls.

Could always be referring to The Mother :p

Synopsis here: http://watchersonthewall.com/final-two-game-of-thrones-episodes-of-the-season-titles-and-synopses-revealed/
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Their titles usually have a double meaning so it will likely refer to Cersei's walk, but it doesn't mean it can't be LSH as well :D

EDIT: the appendix of AFFC also lists "Mother Mercy" as an alternate name....
    Forum Member

They already trolled us in season 3 with the ending title being Mhysa. Which means mother. Which incidentally would have been the perfect introduction to THAT story arc. I have come to realize the TV adaptation will never give us what we want.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    I felt the books you named above needed a good editor, they became very self indulgent..

I wonder if GRRM believes the publicity that calls him 'the American Tolkien' and as a result won't take constructive criticism? Seeing this from the other side, his book sales would appear to support the view that he knows exactly what he's doing. But, reversing it again, millions (me included) bought Tolkien's Silmarilion on the day it came out, expecting something great...only to find it a turgid unreadable load of notes, which Tolkien's son had been unable to whip into anything resembling a story. In other words, sales aren't necessarily the best indicators.

What's happened with GRRM (so brilliant in the early Wild Cards novels, etc) is like what happened to JK Rowling. Both sold so many books that editors are afraid to mess with the golden goose, 'cause for many years now mainstream big league editors have been 90% accountants, and not really that bothered with quality as long as it flies off the shelves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that gives too much away at all, very ambiguous.
    It could be referring to Cersei, Dany or LS (or even Selyse & Shireen)!!
    Probably Cersei and her religious walk of shame though.

Edit: Just read the link, definitely Cersei.
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I don't think that gives too much away at all, very ambiguous.
    It could be referring to Cersei, Dany or LS (or even Selyse & Shireen)!!
    Probably Cersei and her religious walk of shame though.

Edit: Just read the link, definitely Cersei.
    The titles often have multiple meanings.
    Forum Member
    hmmm, just remembered LSH's other name is Mother Mercy. Also goes by the name of The hangwoman and The silent sister.

Definite trolling me thinks.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I guess the cliffhanger for this series will be Jon being confronted...
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I wonder when/if Sansa will find out about Bran and Rickon in the books?

And looks like we have proof that Dragonsteel works the same as Dragonglass :D

Wun Wun got name check as well.

I did half expect them to say the Wildling chiefteness was called Val :)
    Forum Member
    Daznak next week :) I hope they don't ruin, Dany's first flight on Drogon was pretty epic in the book should be a pretty awesome moment for her if done properly.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor Ser Friendzone.

'I still wuv you. I bought you a present. Pleeeeease say you wuv me too....'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One theory I've seen (and afaik it's just based on what's happened so far and trailers rather than acutal spoilers from the set) is that

- Stannis dies (presumably Death by Ramsay)
    - Mel decides to bring him back to life (possibly using Death of Shireen)
    - Jon dies (Death by Olly and/or Ser Alister)
    - Mel casts her spell but Stannis remains dead.
    - At the Wall Jon wakes from Death (End of Season).
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Cool, it's Borgen's Birgitte Hjort Sørensen! :) ...

... Oh, and now she's been torn apart by zombie children. I guess it was just a cameo, then :( "

Excellent episode :D

Valyrian Steel :cool:

I'm still expecting Jon to "die" in episode nine... Perhaps with Olly plunging the final blade in him, given Sam's inspirational speech to the lad about how sometimes you have to do something that other people will think is wrong even though you know that it's right.

*Someone* has to take the place of Bowen Marsh for the "Et tu, Brute?" moment, after all...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    "Cool, it's Borgen's Birgitte Hjort Sørensen! :) ...

... Oh, and now she's been torn apart by zombie children. I guess it was just a cameo, then :( "

Well she did get up again at the end so maybe she'll be back :D

Not sure if it's true or not but some people are claiming one of the Child Wights that killed her is the same child Wight from Episode 1 of Season 1.

So you might still see Birgitte as a cameo Wight five seasons from now :D
  • lucy manelucy mane Posts: 10,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/2087/9898/original.jpg

A picture from the season five trailer. Selyse Baratheon would not be upset over her daughter.