BT set to charge for CL games

Comments

• Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outrageous. Charging a similar price for a product that effectively delivers "less" than Sky Sports 7 channels but charge a very comparable price. AND an activation fee? Abysmal form from BT. Hope this venture flops for them to be honest.
  • Gray77Gray77 Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £23.99 per month with HD is ridiculously high. The CL is a big comp, but there is nowhere near enough Grade A content to justify nearly £25 a month for what they have.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There might be the yearly la liga rights scramble, but I think the price to get euro leagues rights might go up with both Sky and BT wanting them more to pad out there offerings. maybe the football league might benefit from the competition next time out too.

Just a shame it's rarely the customer that benefits.

The only real benefit is I've seen is that there is probably more top sport from all over the world on TV than ever to pad out there offerings. i'm really surprised that premier sports was able to grab the Copa America with all the competition for rights, but now it's it just like the rugby league world cup has become a non event thanks to premier sport over here.

It'll also be interesting what plusnet will charge for BT sport via sky. I'm probably going to be thinking long and hard when my contract is up with BT.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gray77 wrote: »
    £23.99 per month with HD is ridiculously high. The CL is a big comp, but there is nowhere near enough Grade A content to justify nearly £25 a month for what they have.

That and 30 odd PL games is all they have to justify any kind of premium price. And what happens in the European competition break between December and March? If these price plans are true then they are on a one way street to failure. Hopefully.
  • ArmchairDieHardArmchairDieHard Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I already subscribe to BT Sport with Sky.

Do I also have to pay ANOTHER activation fee?
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If thats the price they can go swivel I'm not paying that for a few games of football Jeez.
  • TLG86TLG86 Posts: 11,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That and 30 odd PL games is all they have to justify any kind of premium price. And what happens in the European competition break between December and March? If these price plans are true then they are on a one way street to failure. Hopefully.

The FA Cup?
  • blisteringblueblisteringblue Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    This thread does make me smile. The amount of money BT and Sky paid for overpriced football rights and people are shocked that BT are charging for it? At the end of the day they want you to take their overpriced broadband. Sky were exactly the same last year with their failed SS5 activation with free broadband.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    TLG86 wrote: »
    The FA Cup?
    The FA Cup is a hindrance for most teams apparently, so therefore I see it as a second-tier competition. The biggest games are on the BBC anyway.
  • TLG86TLG86 Posts: 11,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    The FA Cup is a hindrance for most teams apparently, so therefore I see it as a second-tier competition. The biggest games are on the BBC anyway.

True - but there are three weekends when Sky does not have domestic football to show.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Company spends obscene amounts and passes cost onto customer.

Well I for one am stunned.
  • Graham_MorganGraham_Morgan Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Just talked with bt, I was on £11 per month with hd offer for 12 months on sky only. This offer is up shortly. New price will be £23.99 from August 1st, was offered a 12 month contract at £18.49 to stay, but had not realised that BT Europe channel is only available in sd to sky only subscribers. After a bit of thought have cancelled.
    Forum Member
    I think what makes this look even more expensive (on all price points) is that there will be a decent number of FTA games. While these may not all necessarily feature a British team, that doesn't mean they will be of any less quality. Who's to say we might not get, for example, Barcelona or something? Add to that the FTA Europa League games and then the free proposition isn't all that bad.

Then factor in that the CL/EL only runs for a handful of midweeks a year and then the value for money side of things starts to diminish considerably.

I imagine there will be an awful ot of username sharing going on from now on (if there hasn't been already).
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    had not realised that BT Europe channel is only available in sd to sky only subscribers..
    Thats not right, is it? I thought it was just the red button channels that are SD only on Sky, everything else (ie BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport Europe, BT Sport ESPN) were in HD on Sky.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Thats not right, is it? I thought it was just the red button channels that are SD only on Sky, everything else (ie BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2, BT Sport Europe, BT Sport ESPN) were in HD on Sky.

When I sorted mine out last week (I have Bt Broadband with Sky TV) the bloke on the phone, whilst trying to sell me BT TV stated that you wouldn't be able to watch the European games in HD on Sky. I assumed at the time he had read his prompter wrong (and it would only be the red button HD I would be missing) as theres a BT Eurp HD channel on the EPG. But maybe I was wrong.....
    Forum Member
    There is a BT Europe HD channel. You'll get that if you take their HD Pack with or without their broadband.
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    When I sorted mine out last week (I have Bt Broadband with Sky TV) the bloke on the phone, whilst trying to sell me BT TV stated that you wouldn't be able to watch the European games in HD on Sky. I assumed at the time he had read his prompter wrong (and it would only be the red button HD I would be missing) as theres a BT Eurp HD channel on the EPG. But maybe I was wrong.....

The red button games will be in SD on Sky. The main game on BTSE will be in HD.
    Forum Member
    I asked the chap twice concerning this as it did seem odd. He said that BT Europe channel in HD is only available on sky for broadband customers. I might well have taken the offer but SD only seemed a poor deal.
    Forum Member
    I asked the chap twice concerning this as it did seem odd. He said that BT Europe channel in HD is only available on sky for broadband customers. I might well have taken the offer but SD only seemed a poor deal.
    This is all about getting people to sign up to their broadband. Clearly lying to their customers is part of the sales pitch.
    Forum Member
    This is all about getting people to sign up to their broadband. Clearly lying to their customers is part of the sales pitch.

You might well be right there:)
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,377
    Forum Member

Or staff not well trained just because someone is wrong doesn't mean it's on purpose don't assume they are lieing just incompetent.

As BT charge £13 for unlimited broadband, another £7.50 for calls, £5 for BT europe, £4 for caller id and 1571, that's about £20 more than I pay TalkTalk and they may give me a deal if I threaten to cancel. As I'll only watch BT mid Sep to Mid Apr as European finals will be FTA it'll be cheaper to stick with TT and pay BT just for Sport even at £20 a month + £30 activation, £170 for the season (7 months) is less than the £240 extra it'll cost me with BT for 12 months.

So actually the BT price through Sky if you don't need it for 12 months is better than switching to BT for broadband.

BT's high broadband prices obviously include an additional factor for BT sport which is then used to make BT look cheaper for BT Sport with them when the reality is that it isn't
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmm well 18.49 i might do at a stretch. But if bt sport euro is sd only i wont bother. But i would assume that it is just red button stuff. Also i have had no email as yet of new pricing. I wait in anticipation.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yup, that was my experience when I signed up for another year of broadband. At best it's a shambles, at worst they have been engaging in sharp practices. I wouldn't be surprised to see BT get in some trouble over how they have handled the whole thing.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,377
    Forum Member
    Release of the direct pricing on Sky does now reveal the size of the discount for BT BB customers it has increased from £13.50 to 14.99 (19.99 - 5) so only a modest increase of £1.49 a month so the benefit of being a BT BB customer isn't really that enhanced and offset by the fact you'll likely be paying much more for BB than on Sky or TalkTalk which in many cases will wipe out a lot of that saving.

Football fans should seriously consider going for the cheapest BB available (not BT) and then paying the £20 a month for the part of the season they are interested in for BT Sport on a Sky box. The £30 activation fee is easily offset by the £60 saving by not subscribing for 3 months over the summer.
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TLG86 wrote: »
    True - but there are three weekends when Sky does not have domestic football to show.

Sky also have a vast live rights portfolio which would see live cricket, golf, tennis, wrestling, Formula 1... a little bit of everything. Via the Sky platform, BT Sport is incredibly overpriced for what you get compared to the Sky Sports pack.

Champions League certainly wouldn't be enough to see me move to another broadband provider. I'd rather go without BT Sport as I would point blank refuse to pay that via Sky.