Traditional seaside resorts in Scotland

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a kid I loved nothing more than a trip to one of the English or Welsh resorts. Seaside towns with a funfair, amusements, burgers, candy floss, etc. Towns like Blackpool, Bridlington, Skegness, Rhyl, Great Yarmouth, etc.

If I was a child in Scotland, as far as I'm aware, I would have had a to come south of the border for such things. However, am I wrong, does Scotland have such traditional resorts? I know of only one seaside location with a funfair and that's Aberdeen.

Of course as I've got older my tastes have changed, and the thought of spending the day in a place like Blackpool would make me shudder!

Comments

• TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    As a kid I loved nothing more than a trip to one of the English or Welsh resorts. Seaside towns with a funfair, amusements, burgers, candy floss, etc. Towns like Blackpool, Bridlington, Skegness, Rhyl, Great Yarmouth, etc.

If I was a child in Scotland, as far as I'm aware, I would have had a to come south of the border for such things. However, am I wrong, does Scotland have such traditional resorts? I know of only one seaside location with a funfair and that's Aberdeen.

Of course as I've got older my tastes have changed, and the thought of spending the day in a place like Blackpool would make me shudder!

......Skegness ??
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burntisland in Fife has the shows and everything.Love that part of the world.The East Neuk Of Fife and all that.

Arbroath,Kirkaldy(no,really) and Ayr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    ......Skegness ??

It's quite popular with Scots.:D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oban. If you're into your seafood, there are some amazing places to eat there.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    It's quite popular with Scots.:D

Don't I know it lol
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fife is nice, Anstruther, Crail, Pittenweem, St Monan's etc. Some lovely hamlets & harbours, good pubs and chippy's.
    Avoid Methil though, was there today (well Saturday:-D) to see my team get knocked out the League Cup on penalties :(:(:-D
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mine haven't, I've always loved seaside resorts and think I always will! :kitty:
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm from Dunoon which was quite the holiday resort in it's day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Fife is nice, Anstruther, Crail, Pittenweem, St Monan's etc. Some lovely hamlets & harbours, good pubs and chippy's.
    Avoid Methil though, was there today (well Saturday:-D) to see my team get knocked out the League Cup on penalties :(:(:-D

Ouch!.That's a sore one Bob.:(
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Ouch!.That's a sore one Bob.:(

It was mate. Fair play to East Fife though :)
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    On the West Coast there is Troon, Ardrossan, Millport, Saltcoats, Ayr, Largs and Rothesay to name a few and they are all popular coastal towns, or were when my mum was growing up anyway. I've been to a efw on day trips, but not sure how much tourist trade they pull in these days.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Mine haven't, I've always loved seaside resorts and think I always will! :kitty:

Me too! But then I do live in one so it's either lump it or like it :D
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Largs is the first place that springs to mind, it has the amusements burgers ice creams etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    It was mate. Fair play to East Fife though :)

Now you can concentrate on beating Rangers.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blofeld wrote: »
    On the West Coast there is Troon, Ardrossan, Millport, Saltcoats, Ayr, Largs and Rothesay to name a few and they are all popular coastal towns, or were when my mum was growing up anyway. I've been to a efw on day trips, but not sure how much tourist trade they pull in these days.

Ardrossan.That is where they filmed that Gary tank commander episode.'The General'.General Randy Badger. 'Cheesy Pasta anyone?'.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do any Scottish resorts have a permanent fun fair/pleasure beach though?
  • Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    No i dont think so.
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Although you wouldn't really describe it as a resort, Aberdeen has a permanent funfair and amusements as well as a reasonable amount of cafe's and ice cream shops.

Aberdeen has an absolutely fabulous sandy beach - at least two miles long - (and only 1.5 miles from the city centre) - and on a warm sunny day it is a great place to be.

Unfortunately, warm/sunny/Aberdeen are not words that you often hear in the same sentence. The wind that comes off the North Sea can be fierce.
    As a kid we used to visit relatives in Aberdeen and I can vividly remember siting on Aberdeen beach in blazing sunshine, with the wind cutting us in half and one of my uncles saying that the icebergs were just over the horizon.
    That water is icy!
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have spent 30 years my whole life visiting Prestwick and Troon. I was there for a week a couple of weeks ago and had a nice time. I had nice meals at Elliott's in Prestwick and the Marine Hotel in Troon.
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finport,
    beware of the hotel run by a cockney,he will beg you into having a nightcap with him and then charge you for it.