My grandmother is giving up TV...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My grandmother 89 years old, and after a few years of hardly ever watching TV. Has given up on all the soaps in the last year and then phased out watching the news each day as well. So she now has stopped watching TV altogether and today packed away her TV set.

Why?? - Because it's all crap? No

She's that set in her ways (we all are that age) and scared at the whole 'converting' to digital thing (fear of change) she is giving up TV altogether.

Only starting this thread because I think other older folks out there will do the same thing.

Comments

• katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aww thats a shame especially as she gets a free licence
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why not just get her a digital tv with inbuilt freeview?
  • Katia_StormKatia_Storm Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't someone help her out? We got my dad a freeview box a few years ago and he arranged the installation of a new ariel sometime ago. It's not that dificult. And if it is for an elderly relative then surely someone can do it for them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ She's got a disorder where spending money makes her ill. That's the problem
  • Desert RatDesert Rat Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ She's got a disorder where spending money makes her ill. That's the problem

Can someone not buy her a Freeview box? They're only pennies, £10 in Argos at the minute

I think its sad with all the old people and the digital switchover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No offence to anyone but I made this thread to say "I bet shes not the only one right?"

and I have once shown her how a freeview box works but you could see her heart begin to race and a panic attack come over face "why do we have to change why can't we keep it as it".... so I gave in.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    No offence to anyone but I made this thread to say "I bet shes not the only one right?"

and I have once shown her how a freeview box works but you could see her heart begin to race and a panic attack come over face "why do we have to change why can't we keep it as it".... so I gave in.

Sounds like autism to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well my father (her son) goes on about it being ''fasism'' how it's been forced on us. I don't waste my breathe on arguing back tough.
  • Katia_StormKatia_Storm Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad doesn't like spending money either. WE just did it for him like I said.. I Think we did it for a birthday present or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying your grandmother is right or wrong as its her own view on the world, but there are LOTS of people of your grandmothers age who are quite happy with change and progress. My partners 88 year old grandad is quite good with his DVD player and freeview. As far as he is concerned, he has more choice now.

Cant you just show her the freeview again and explain that its just a case of pressing channel up and channel down?
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there are more people 80+ who would prefer to have a TV than not to.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well seeing as she doesnt have to pay the licence fee i can understand why she doesnt feel she needs to watch it to justify the money
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Sounds like she is preparing to meet the reaper.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    Sounds like she is preparing to meet the reaper.

It's ironic all this. I too, along with my partner are watching less and less TV, as we find the majority of programmes so boring, repetitive and an insult to one's intelligence - of course there are exceptions.
    I'm a technophile and so it is nothing to do with being afraid of the the digital age it is just that fewer programmes on TV interest me anymore. I don't watch the majority of sports that are on and we gave up watching Corrie just over a year ago, now.
    Yes, just as we've qualified for free TV, because of age, the TV set remains off more than it is on now.

I've never watched 'breakfast TV' and may turn the TV on at lunchtime to watch Working Lunch, which soon ends and so there is even less reason to be a couch potato.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like being old to me.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    do they not help out people with free boxes for freeview? I think they set aside money for people in the changeover who couldn't afford it
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    do they not help out people with free boxes for freeview? I think they set aside money for people in the changeover who couldn't afford it

I don't think the OP was saying she couldn't afford a freeview box, just that she's afraid of using it.

Someone suggested getting her a tv with built-in freeview, which would be more like her old tv but with more channels.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Carman wrote: »
    I don't think the OP was saying she couldn't afford a freeview box, just that she's afraid of using it.

Someone suggested getting her a tv with built-in freeview, which would be more like her old tv but with more channels.

oh ok..there was a comment about her being afraid to spend money..
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carman wrote: »

Change "more like" to "no different from" and you're there. Nothing technical to get up tight about. Turn it on, press '1' and you're watching your local region's BBC1 same as before. The only difference is that you're watching a digital instead of an analogue signal.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    oh ok..there was a comment about her being afraid to spend money..

You're right, i missed that bit. Perhaps her family could club together and buy her a new tv in that case.

But HHGTTG is right, even with freeview there's not much I want to watch these days.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think they will want to be spending on a new tv for a 89 year old, is it worth it?
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,844
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    i dont they will want to be spending on a new tv for a 89 year old, is it worth it?

Yes she could knock up the century! Asda Donnington have got some pretty cheap TV's with freeview built in OP if you can stretch to it.

To be fair, all my old man watches is snooker and Alan Titchmarsh, he still reads a lot and listens to the radio
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think they will want to be spending on a new tv for a 89 year old, is it worth it?

Look at it this way: either you're lucky, and she lives quite happily for another eleven years and gets her text from the Queen, or you are unlucky, but the kids get an almost new digital TV for their bedroom.
  • CanonMan75CanonMan75 Posts: 306
    Forum Member

A bit of an insensitive thing to say, isn't it? :rolleyes:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Did you try getting a digital TV with freeview built in and showing her how it works, setting it up and everything?