Cerazette- experiences and side effects

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone else ever been on the contaceptive pill Cerazette? I'm taking this for 3 months before I hoped to have the implant (ive just finished my first one month pack) but i'm finding the side effects really hard to put up with. Since I started Cerazette i've had pretty much constant bleeding, from spotting to a long period and its also really affecting my mood. I've been much more emotional and close to crying many times at random things, its also been making me really moody which is just horrible! I feel really sorry for my bf who is particularly on the receiving end of this :(
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope? I would think about going back to the doctor's to switch pills but I know exactly what the dr will say: that I need to stick with the pill for more than one month to see if these side effects are temporary and go away. The dr pretty much forced me to take cerazette against my will before going on the implant (i'm lactose intolerant and Cerazette has lactose in which she said was irrelevant), so I doubt she will take me off the pill.

I've also have quite a few spots come up recently which is a problem I don't normally suffer from.

Help!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    OP - I feel for you. I used to suffer from exactly the same thing when taking cerazette. In fact, I know very few people who've had any success when taking it.

It sounds as if your doctor is being unreasonable. My doctor put me on cerazette for 9 months, even though I would frequently go back and ask to be taken off it and be given the implant. I was told the implant was "too expensive" to give to me - needless to say, I was livid!

I persevered with the pill and was still having the same problems with bleeding that you've talked about. Eventually they put me on the implant and I haven't looked back.

If I were you I would go to a different doctor and put your foot down. Only when I got stern with them would they give me what was best for me.

Best of luck
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    astro1990 wrote: »
    OP - I feel for you. I used to suffer from exactly the same thing when taking cerazette. In fact, I know very few people who've had any success when taking it.

It sounds as if your doctor is being unreasonable. My doctor put me on cerazette for 9 months, even though I would frequently go back and ask to be taken off it and be given the implant. I was told the implant was "too expensive" to give to me - needless to say, I was livid!

I persevered with the pill and was still having the same problems with bleeding that you've talked about. Eventually they put me on the implant and I haven't looked back.

If I were you I would go to a different doctor and put your foot down. Only when I got stern with them would they give me what was best for me.

Best of luck

Thanks for the reply. I hope you don't me asking but did you not have any negative side effects when you were on the implant? I thought cerazette and the implant had the same hormone in them so i'm a bit worried about whether i'd get these side effects on the implant too
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    When I first had it put in (about 18 months ago) I got a bit of a rash on my arm, but the doctor just said that was my body getting used to it. It was a bit itchy and bruised for a couple of days, but then it was fine.

I was really worried I'd fiddle with it all the time as it seems like such a novelty at first! But after about a week you forget all about it, as you can't see it but you can feel it under your skin which can freak some people out. It's about an inch long and a few millimetres wide (think the size of a small match stick".

My periods vary; sometimes I can go 6 months without having one, then will have a normal cycle for a couple of months, then back to nothing. I mentioned this to my GP and she said that it's very normal, and if people get regular bleeding or continuous bleeding on the implant they sometimes give them the pill to take as well, so they get no bleeding at all. Luckily I haven't had any problems like that with it. The only thing I'm worried about is when they take it out!
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I stopped taking it as the inconvenience of having a period for 3 out of 4 weeks was worse than using condoms during sex.
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It completely stopped my periods. Of course when I went on a break and back onto it, it didn't have the same affect sadly.
  • LainiomonkioLainiomonkio Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cerazette is awful! When I was on it, it made me moody and miserable. It also made my hair ridiculously greasy. I've never had any problems with greasy hair before but it got to the point where I'd wash it in the morning and it would be slick by the evening. I didn't even associate with the pill until I switched to Yasmin and it completely cleared up along with the moods...
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had really good experiences with Cerezzette as it stopped my periods, I was on it for about 4 years until having implant in nearly 2 years ago, also had no side effects with that either, hoping to keep them in till I go through menopause my only other alternative was hysterectomy because of bleeding, cramping and illness. Have to say it was the nurse at my surgery that sorted all this out don't bother with the doctor unless I'm desperate, would suggest you go back, the reason they put you on cerezzette is because it's a similar hormone to what's in the implant, so if your reacting to cerezzette then the implants may not be for you, but it is a much lower dose so it may be worth perservering, try a family planning clinic if you get no where with the doctor. They tend to be less money orientated.
  • JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on Cerazette for 7 years and I've never had a problem. :o

When I first started taking it I bled for two months solid, which I was told would happen. Then things settled down and I haven't had a bleed since other than the two occasions I had a break.

I've experienced no side effects at all. I used to be on Dianette and I prefer this one loads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    The Geek wrote: »
    It completely stopped my periods. Of course when I went on a break and back onto it, it didn't have the same affect sadly.

I had this exact same scenario... I was on it for about 4 years with no bleeding at all, took a 4 month break over 2 years ago and have been horribly irregular since with almost continuous spotting etc- I'm going to the Dr next week to see if I can be put back on Mercilon which I had better luck with.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been on this for about 2 weeks to regulate my periods. I took it the first day i got my period but havent bled since that one day.

I got spots the first week and i have been really emotional.

I am going to stick the 3 month pack out but i am worried my periods wont go back to normal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was on it for 5 years and never had a period from the moment i started it.

Didnt notice anything unusual re. Moods etc either.

However, when coming off i had bad problems restarting ovulating. had to go for tests etc.

I too would suggest a family planning clinic as opposed to GP. Also, cerazette is a LOT more expensive than most other Pills so the dr must have a valid reason for putting you on it? I kind of had to fight to go on it, cos i suffer from Focal Migranes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the replies, i can see cerazette is very hit and miss with how different people react to it. I think my spotting has finally stopped/eased up so I will see how I get on the next few days and possibly try taking all of my second pack to see if these side effects ease up at all. If not i'll definately go back to the dr's in the new year and ask to try something else

Are there any pills that generally most women get on well with? and don't cause mood swings?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I took Cerazette for two months, but gave up because I was bleeding constantly. It also gave me really dry eyes.

I had the depo provera shot instead, but am on day 20 of a bleed, so not happy with this either. :(
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on Cerazette for 2 or 3 years now. I take it without a break, due to heavy, painful periods. The only bad side effect I have had is mild achne, but I simply got a gel from the doctors that I use and it keeps my skin clear. A side effect is supposed to be weight gain, but I actually lost a stone in weight when I went on it!

I feel sorry for all the people who have had bad side effects.
  • Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    I started to worry when I read the first half of the thread as everyone seemed to have so many problems with it.
    I've been absolutely fine for the three months I've been on it. Had a strange taste in mouth for the first few days, and had no bleeding since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pearl McG wrote: »
    I started to worry when I read the first half of the thread as everyone seemed to have so many problems with it.
    I've been absolutely fine for the three months I've been on it. Had a strange taste in mouth for the first few days, and had no bleeding since.

I was beginning to think me and my mum were the odd ones out with our lack of bad side effects!
  • Pearl McGPearl McG Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I was beginning to think me and my mum were the odd ones out with our lack of bad side effects!

Isn't it amazing how something can have such vastly different effects on people?
    I'm hoping I'll be able to have the implant at my check-up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pearl McG wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing how something can have such vastly different effects on people?
    I'm hoping I'll be able to have the implant at my check-up.

Very odd. I'm just glad I'm one of the lucky ones.
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been on this Pill for about 5 years now after being on the Depo injection for about 3 years. The last time I had any kind of bleeding was 2 years ago. I have forgotten what a period is! :D. I would say though that sometimes I do feel quite low but that could be for other reasons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I've been on Cerazette for 2 or 3 years now. I take it without a break, due to heavy, painful periods. The only bad side effect I have had is mild achne, but I simply got a gel from the doctors that I use and it keeps my skin clear. A side effect is supposed to be weight gain, but I actually lost a stone in weight when I went on it!

I feel sorry for all the people who have had bad side effects.

Aren't you meant to take cerazette without a break anyway? :confused:
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After trying several other pills the doctor put me on Cezarette to combat my PMS. I've not had a period since I started six months ago - I do get some discomfort at the time of the month, but the PMS and period pains are all gone.
    It's odd how everybody reacts differently to pills, isn't it?
  • squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's amazing how different we all are as I said I wouldn't have a bad word said about Cerezzette and my implant, for me life is amazing, I certainly wouldn't want to go back to not being able to move for three weeks a month, and the horrendous mood swings. I have my life back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on it and bled constantly from the 2nd day. Then after about 8 weeks the bleeding stopped. Was highly grateful as I was about to stop taking it. Then about 4 weeks after that, I found out I was pregnant. So much for THAT contraceptive! :D

Anyway, the baby is now 8 weeks old and I am sending my husband for the snip. At 41 years old i do NOT want any more surprises. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty_koo wrote: »
    Aren't you meant to take cerazette without a break anyway? :confused:

I'm not sure? Whenever I go to get a repeat prescricption, they always ask me if I take it without a break or not, so I assumed you can take it with a break.
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I was on it and bled constantly from the 2nd day. Then after about 8 weeks the bleeding stopped. Was highly grateful as I was about to stop taking it. Then about 4 weeks after that, I found out I was pregnant. So much for THAT contraceptive! :D

Anyway, the baby is now 8 weeks old and I am sending my husband for the snip. At 41 years old i do NOT want any more surprises. :)

I was told by the nurse that if you miss a pill by twelve hours then not to have sex.