Options

Sony 40" full HD TV. No model number. Anyone know if it's any good?

Hi. I have seen this Sony TV advertised in the sales.

I don't know very much about TVs but the spec looks OK. Howver, I can't find a product code for it and although people have asked questions about the code, there's no reply about it. I like to read the user reviews before I buy.

Does anyone know what model this is and, more importantly, is it any good? I don't want to buy a 'pig in a poke' but somehow a half-price deal sounds too good to be true! It makes me wonder if it's a deiberate ploy to leave the number off.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    |Edit - didn't see the link :(
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where have you seen it offered for sale ?

The link is to Argos so must be there as no model number.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I think Comet also has one for sale but I can't get onto its site. You know what they say, when an offer seems too good to be true...it probably is. Annoying no model no though.
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the weight and dimensions - I'm pretty sure that it's the 40BX400 The picture seems to be the same model and the Argos specs - full HD, 4 hdmi but no FreeviewHD does strongly suggest that it's a 2009 model.

edit - it's definately not from the 2010 range. All the 40" models have Freeview HD, (or Freesat for the V series,) and a round "neck" connecting the stand to the TV. You can get this year's 40" EX403 for £400
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    hardeep wrote: »
    Looking at the weight and dimensions - I'm pretty sure that it's the 40BX400 The picture seems to be the same model and the Argos specs - full HD, 4 hdmi but no FreeviewHD does strongly suggest that it's a 2009 model.

The BX series are recent 2010 models, and the 32 and above are "cheap supermarket specials" - it's not known yet if Sony even make them or not (the 19 and 22 BX are made by Beko).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hi the one in comet is the kdl40ex403 model @ £399

seems a good spec and price

JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In that case, a 2010 model, and Freeview HD as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot. It's baffling to me...all these specs! I want to buy something that is, as far as possible anyway, futureproofed for a few years so I guess the freeview HD would be quite important.

I have tried to get on comet website but I keep getting a busy message. Keep trying, I suppose.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of a TV of this spec with great colour and picture? What should I look for in a new TV? Eg, do I need a backlight, is plasma better, etc?

Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jph160 wrote: »
    Hi the one in comet is the kdl40ex403 model @ £399

seems a good spec and price

JH

It's not full HD though, but HD ready. Will that make a difference?
    I see it has Freeview HD but I guess that means Freeview HD ready?
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not full HD though, but HD ready. Will that make a difference?
    I see it has Freeview HD but I guess that means Freeview HD ready?

:confused: - the EX403 is definately full HD.

Check Sony's site. (I'm sure I'm right this time :o )
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BX series are recent 2010 models, and the 32 and above are "cheap supermarket specials" - it's not known yet if Sony even make them or not (the 19 and 22 BX are made by Beko).

All Sony TV assembly in Europe is outsourced.

If the Comet site is busy, try its online brand Laskys but no 40-inch Sonys on it though.
    www.laskys.com/tv_and_dvd/lcd_tvs/~sony/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    All Sony TV assembly in Europe is outsourced.

Depends what you mean by 'out sourced'?, the 19 and 22 BX series are Beko TV's with Sony software and Sony badges. There 'were' various Sony production facilites in numerous places in Europe, the only one I'm actually aware of closing is the Bacelona facility - which 'possibly' has been sold?. However, if the same production facilities are assembling the same Sony sets, just with different factory owners, does that make any difference?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot. It's baffling to me...all these specs! I want to buy something that is, as far as possible anyway, futureproofed for a few years so I guess the freeview HD would be quite important.

I have tried to get on comet website but I keep getting a busy message. Keep trying, I suppose.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of a TV of this spec with great colour and picture? What should I look for in a new TV? Eg, do I need a backlight, is plasma better, etc?

It's a fine TV, and they have been exceptionally reliable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hardeep wrote: »
    :confused: - the EX403 is definately full HD.

Check Sony's site. (I'm sure I'm right this time :o )

I thought that was odd, but on the comet website it says HD ready.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought that was odd, but on the comet website it says HD ready.

And you listen to Comet? :D

They aren't exactly well known for their accuracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And you listen to Comet? :D

They aren't exactly well known for their accuracy.

Aren't they? LOL. As I said, I'm a novice in this type of thing. I haven't bought anything from Comet in decades which is why your help is invaluable. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are not giving the model number, two sites, dont touch it,some may be specials, old models with new tuner added.

Note it as appeared since the sony offer finished,lying in wait to catch the first unsuspecting strays.

Sony probably getting like Panasonic who making specials for Comet & Laskeys with re badged stock model numbers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't they? LOL. As I said, I'm a novice in this type of thing. I haven't bought anything from Comet in decades which is why your help is invaluable. :)

If the Wrexham, shop is anything to go by,they think the world is square, pitifully unclued staff
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Personally I would have a look at the John Lewis web site as they give you a 5 year guarantee on most TV's

http://www.johnlewis.com/230925667/Product.aspx
  • Options
    Soap DodgerSoap Dodger Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Strange......there is an advert for this very same model below these comments....big brother watching or just a coincedence???? Lol!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange......there is an advert for this very same model below these comments....big brother watching or just a coincedence???? Lol!!

Presume you mean the John Lewis page?

Well all I can say is, with JL you do get a five year warranty built in, and they do tell you which model,

Comet/Laskey & Argos one year warranty & guess the model, and with comet/laskey pay for delivery unless they tell you when.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    janet owen wrote: »
    If they are not giving the model number, two sites, dont touch it,some may be specials, old models with new tuner added.

Manufacturers don't do things like that, the set requires redesigning to add Freeview HD, so all such sets are designed that way from scratch. It's not just a matter of the tuner - that's just the 'convenient' way it's explained to the non-technical.
  • Options
    Soap DodgerSoap Dodger Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    No it is just below the last person posting!!! Ads by Goodgle it says and 3 comapanies advertising tellies!!! The one I was refering to was www.electrical deals.co.uk as they too were offering the Sony 37 for £399.99! A lot of price matching going on I see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it is just below the last person posting!!! Ads by Goodgle it says and 3 comapanies advertising tellies!!! The one I was refering to was www.electrical deals.co.uk as they too were offering the Sony 37 for £399.99! A lot of price matching going on I see.

I wouldn't know, I don't get any adverts on here :D

However, the site does do targetted advertising, so you would expect such adverts to be relevent to the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manufacturers don't do things like that, the set requires redesigning to add Freeview HD, so all such sets are designed that way from scratch. It's not just a matter of the tuner - that's just the 'convenient' way it's explained to the non-technical.

OK Nigel, it was just a thought, As I know Panasonic do specials for Comet & Laskeys, & give them a new model number.
    Some of these have differing coloured surrounds as opposed to the standard models.