What colour walls would go with a cream kitchen with black worktops?

SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
Forum Member
✭✭
Help a colour blind person out as I'm hopless with colours :D

Comments

• NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A terracotta, rusty reddish colour?

What colour is the floor? How much light does you kitchen get? For eg, is it south facing with large window/s or does it get very little sun?

And what colours do you like? Very clear colours or slightly muddier colours?
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say a red shade too. Dark red or terracotta.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    red

i have black tiles, cream units and a black/grey worktop and painted my kitchen in dulux redcurrant and it looks great
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duck egg blue if you wanted to go a paler, cooler way. Looks fantastic with cream and black. Or even a paler blue.

Cream and black go with most colours - though white will make cream look dirty so don't go there. I'd probably stay away from most yellows (including green) and would keep it a pale colour so it doesn't combine with the black to make for too dark a room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A warm grey colour would look great, look at some of dulux Calm Neutral colours. You can add some colour with accessories, utensils etc. Sorry but I think anything red/terracotta would look dreadfully dated. Very late 90's...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    A warm grey colour would look great, look at some of dulux Calm Neutral colours.
    For me, it depends a lot on how bright the room is. Grey, cream and black in a poorly lit room could be very depressing.

When I put colours together, it's not all about what's in fashion but more about colours ability to affect mood. I think greys and blues are too mood lowering, especially when sitting alongside black - but our preferences are all different and that's why I asked the OP what colours s/he likes generally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pistachio green!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for red! But I also think colours like lime green can be quite funky!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any, surely.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kitchen has ivory cupboards, wood block work tops, and yes, red walls. I used Dulux Roasted Red, and it looks lovely!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    If you go on the big paint companies websites they have colour schemes that you can mix and match for various rooms so you can see what they look like.

Dulux, Crown etc
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pistachio green!

Another vote for this :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've got cream units and black work tops and it's in painted duck egg blue.
    It was already like that, I didn't choose it, but it does look really good, the 3 colours go really well together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have wood and cream cabinets and a darker cream worktop, so opted for a camel brown paint. Wood floor. Accesorized with stainless steel appliances. That said, I prefer the neutrals as a rule!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Pistachio green!

Yep. My old kitchen had black tops and cream cupboards and looked great with pale green walls.
  • GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    they are neutral colours so virtually any colour you prefer. Personally Ive never thought red suitable for kitchens but whatever. Plus I hate red/black combo.

choose a colour that you will be able to buy accessories to match with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    get some tester pots and a roll of lining paper , paint the lining paper and hang the pieces in the kitchen , wont cost a fortune and should give you an idea , maybe 2 colours would work , use a dark colour on one wall and a lighter complementary colour on the rest :)
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duck egg blue if you wanted to go a paler, cooler way. Looks fantastic with cream and black. Or even a paler blue.

Cream and black go with most colours - though white will make cream look dirty so don't go there. I'd probably stay away from most yellows (including green) and would keep it a pale colour so it doesn't combine with the black to make for too dark a room.
    orangebird wrote: »
    A warm grey colour would look great, look at some of dulux Calm Neutral colours. You can add some colour with accessories, utensils etc. Sorry but I think anything red/terracotta would look dreadfully dated. Very late 90's...

I agree with these two posts.
    Soft, soft, soft and muted colours.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark red.
  • Annie1fortennisAnnie1fortennis Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I vote too for soft muted colours.

The trend I think will be moving away from an industrial looking kitchen and to a more 'living room' comfy feel so add a cosy armchair to a corner and jazz up with some retro 1970's style accessories.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Duck Egg Blue so would go with that :)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark red walls in a kitchen ? Never in this world ! You need to stick with neutral colours - nicer to live with and makes it easier to sell your house if you ever plan to move later on.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Without looking at other replies first, I also first thought of red.

Muted colours are boring and dreary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and makes it easier to sell your house if you ever plan to move later on.
    I think there comes a point where you do things for yourself and redo if you plan to sell. Otherwise you are only ever decorating for some undefined person at some undefined future point... which may never come. Walls are easy to repaint...

I love that green kitchen, Meilie, but a lot of my liking comes from the light and airy feeling that high ceiling and the glass roof gives.