Options

What isit with UK and concert curfews.

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't the headliners start a bit earlier? Or at least on time?

I live about two miles from the IW Festival site which is in the outskirts of Newport. I can hear the music if the wind is in the right direction. My sister lives about 500 yeards from the site. They usually stop about 11pm.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Would Bruce have had the plug pulled if the people living near the concert had been working class people? I very greatly doubt it. Money is all that matters.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Bruce have had the plug pulled if the people living near the concert had been working class people? I very greatly doubt it. Money is all that matters.

What a load of crap - venue's have always had licensing restrictions on timings - most artists realise this and arrange their concerts accordingly
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

Yes of course he would. A licence is a licence.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    They never pulled the plug on him in Dublin when he went over the curfew. He got a fine but they never pulled the plug.
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I was there at Murrayfield on Saturday and I, for one, would have preferred Madonna to sing "I'm Addicted" and "Like A Virgin" rather than make me wait another 15-20 minutes so I could see the first act in a little bit more darkness.

The curfews are there for a very good reason. If she came on stage late for anything other than technical difficulties then it was the wrong decision. A show where it's not so dark for 20 minutes is better than NO show for 20 minutes.

All that said, I thoroughly enjoyed everything I did see and - unlike some others - didn't feel the need to complain that the show was light on hits. And, Express Yourself and Vogue were possibly the best performances I have EVER seen her do of those songs.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    i actually have a madonna collection that would surprise you, and i'd bet was considerably bigger than yours after collecting for 25+ years, so yes i have seen that dvd

i've also seen madonna in the flesh, and have dvds of many live concerts i've been to, including madonna, and i know that the experience in the flesh compared to what you see on your telly screen can be very different. you might notice they don't usually focus on the people at he back of the venues at those gigs who have a very different experience from the people down the front

if you have a look at what the hardcore madonna fans are saying about the tour on fan sites you will see that not everything is rosy in the garden. even on this site the hardcore madonna fans are moaning about her performance and tour, and the normal punters are even less happy as they want to hear tracks they know played like they know them. madonna is becoming a legacy act so she needs to act like one if the wants a share of the considerably legacy money and doesn't want to downsize her shows

Well how about me? I saw Madonna in 1987 at the very back of Wembley stadium. I saw her again in 1990 at the very back of a full to burst Wembley stadium. In 1993, I saw her once more at Wembley stadium, on my own at the back of the stadium. Each time was electric. She had every audience member in the palm of her hand. The audience were drunk on sheer amazement. I saw her again in 2004 at Earl's Court and again the atmosphere was totally WOW!!!!!
    I saw her at Hyde Park too last week. She was amazing, but because of curfews, beaurocracy, moaning minnies, the sound level was very low. The atmosphere was not as I had hoped but it WAS NOT due to her not singing hits. She sang 10 hits out of a 21 song show. All hardcore Madonna fans would have known them. If they didn't they weren't hardcore fans. The only people complaining about lack of hits were casual music fans. It is not Madonna's fault if they didn't realise she has continued making music since they bought The Immaculate Collection!

Madonna CAN hold an audience at large venues. But if the powers that be restrict what she is able to do by reducing noise, restricting the end time, then the atmosphere to a degree is going to be lessened.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have a look again at some of the write ups about the murrayfield gig in the appreciation thread on this site

such as

"Now, i'm guessing these seats were bought by the more casual fans because nobody around me knew ANY of her new tracks. Because MDNA has spawned no hit singles, none of her new material had any real effect. It wasn't until 'Papa Don't Preach' kicked in (about 4 songs into the show) that my area started to pay attention. That was a shame because it kinda dampened the atmosphere.This leads me to suggest that her next album NEEDS promotion. Without promotion she doesn't get hits, which in turn leads to no album sales, which in turn leads to going on tour and singing songs which nobody knows. I really hope she doesn't follow this path for future albums. It doesn't work. :("

"she definetly sang live as her vocals did sound trembly, off key and tired in places"

"I had paid for premium seating but we couldn't see the backdrops completely due to the huge video screen blocking the view
    Was there a sound restriction - the music wasn't that loud
    She cut two songs !!! Celebration while visually stunning seemed an abrupt ending. I think if we had I'm Addicted.... The crowd would have then gone crazy for an encore and then I'm a celebration may have worked better.

In relation to her other tours - where does it stand? Not as good as BA, GS, Reinvention or Confessions but equal to S&S"

"From reading reviews, I can understand people's frustration - and It's funny, both me and my friend said the end half seemed rushed and very half-hearted, especially when she was so lively during the soundcheck. It was a bit of a disappointment for me too as both Like a Virgin and I'm Addicted are two of my absolute favourites from Madge, so to have them cut from the set was quite upsetting."

"
    Sorry for the rant, but I do believe organisation was ridiculous - Madonna missing out a couple of tracks, thats a different matter entirely! We had a laugh, and a dance, but after seeing all her other tours bar Who's That Girl, this one left me feeling a bit empty."

just a few comments from this site alone. maybe you don't follow the appreciate thread here though

You are being deliberately selective. The point about fans not knowing the words to her new stuff suggested that they were casual fans. No true Madonna fan has slagged off Madonna's shows in general. The point you made about her voice being trembly was part of a comment praising the fact the entire show was virtually sung live. No true, hardcore Madonna fan on the Appreciation thread has slagged off their idol at all. They may have made constructive criticism about elements of the show, but overall the praise Madonna has received on the AT is very high.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I agree with a lot that has been said above but I think that the management team need to start looking at the time of year they play.

For example I believe Lady Gaga is playing in September at Twickenham stadium when it will be darker earlier whilst still having mild weather (hopefully). I think the management teams need to look at this and plan a little better.

I also agree with people that have mentioned people at the back of the Stadium, I think a really good design of the stage could be done for playing in the round for example U2's 360 tour.

With Madonna she needs to have more crowd interaction, I understand that the show is on a very tight schedule in regards to the staging and video screens, but at the moment it seems like a money making exercise opposed to fan enjoyment.

Hopefully with Twitter, Guy Oseary and Live Nation will see the comments and make changes for the next tour. But I must say she remains one of the best performers in the world. I did enjoy the MDNA tour immensely.
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You are being deliberately selective. The point about fans not knowing the words to her new stuff suggested that they were casual fans. No true Madonna fan has slagged off Madonna's shows in general. The point you made about her voice being trembly was part of a comment praising the fact the entire show was virtually sung live. No true, hardcore Madonna fan on the Appreciation thread has slagged off their idol at all. They may have made constructive criticism about elements of the show, but overall the praise Madonna has received on the AT is very high.

The way Unique Does the cut and paste editing job probably qualifies him to write for the Daily Mail. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well try to learn to have some tolerance then. Concerts DO NOT go into the early hours, it's very rare and they are advertised long time in advance. Who gives a rat's arse about people with families? families all over the world face some kind of inconvenience from time to time. As long as people know about an event then they should be tolerant and mature enough to deal with it. No doubt these same people with families will be more than happy to host a summer barbeque with music and laughter going into the early hours without telling everyone months in advance! Whinge whinge whinge moan moan moan. That's what Britain's good for now.

I have a family and I live about 15 minutes walk from Heaton Park. I was surprised that I could clearly hear the Stone Roses concert if I opened my bedroom windows. It was not at all disruptive to my kids and we opened the windows and listened to the concert from our bed and then watched the fireworks display. I also hired out my driveway for parking!
    It was a one-off and I hope they do it again. I expect summer concerts. The one thing I don't like is the anti-social behaviour from some of the concert goers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Having been a Madonna fan for over 30 years I managed to see her live in Murrayfield on Saturday. I thought the whole show was amazing from start to finish and the only thing that spoilt it for me was that it started in daylight, the atmosphere seemed to get better once it got darker! (My opinion anyway).

She also sang live throughout the entire concert, this was evident as she wasn't perfect in places but that made it even better for me. I had honestly expected her to lip sync some songs.

I've read lots of reviews about MDNA and the tour and it just seems like a vendetta against her for some reason, that people are wanting her to fail!
    She doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs, works out everyday and has a work ethic that would put most people half her age to shame.
    Shes bringing so much enjoyment to fans like me, why can't she continue to do so without snide comments about her age, her being desperate or that she should retire?
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ regarding her singing live. Yeah its evident she is singing this tour live as the stage error in Birmingham made her mess up the lyrics to Gang Bang! :p up until that point I assumed it was lip synced due to the energy of the performance but no its was 100% live which makes her all the more incredible!
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Murrayfield on Saturday and it was a FANTASTIC show but I am gutted about the two songs which got cut. She was well aware of the curfew, she even joked about it during rehearsals, telling us that if she got cut off, not to blame her, to blame the local authorities and send the local MP a letter. Having said that I did hear (may have been at the hotel, or on here, I really can't remember) that when she joked about this during sound check, the police at the front told many of the GC members that they would never cut her off, even for the curfew, because it would cause too much trouble. Does make me question then, why those two songs were cut. It could also have done with being a little louder in places; the music was fine but I struggled to her the vocals on some songs, and also when she was speaking to the audience. Overall though it was great and I certainly can't falter the performance; it was amazing. The vocals (when I could hear) were great and the show was just electric. Would have been nicer if I had been in a part of the audience where the other members actually knew the songs; only myself, my friend, and a lady sat behind me seemed to know any of the new songs, but ignoring that, it was great. Despite the curfew, the low vocals, and complete lack of knowledge on the stewards part it was a great show and I would do it again in a heartbeat. :D

EDIT: The daylight at the start didn't ruin it for me at all; I'd rather see it in daylight than not at all (this applies for the two cut songs) but I have to admit, the atmosphere certainly improved once it started to get dark. Everyone seemed to liven up and from that moment on it was just epic (though it may also have something to do with the fact that she had really started to roll out the oldies by this point and the audience, especially where I was, actually started to engage themselves with the show).
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way Unique Does the cut and paste editing job probably qualifies him to write for the Daily Mail. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175666/Madonna-Hyde-Park-review-Sorry-Madge-youre-just-tawdry-embarrassment.html
    Sorry Madge, you're now just a tawdry embarrassment: She's a fan. But after sitting through the 53-year-old's lewd, expletive-ridden new show, Jane Fryer is not happy

that daily mail?
    That’s the most irritating thing about these ageing rockers. They won’t, or can’t, accept that what their fans really want to hear is their back catalogue.

So she churns out eight songs from her new album, for some reason apparently shouts: ‘I love Poland’, and taunts us with five-second teasers of old hits Holiday, Lucky Star and Ray Of Light. It doesn’t help that the sound quality is very poor.
    don't you like their review?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :
    That’s the most irritating thing about these ageing rockers. They won’t, or can’t, accept that what their fans really want to hear is their back catalogue.

So she churns out eight songs from her new album, for some reason apparently shouts: ‘I love Poland’, and taunts us with five-second teasers of old hits Holiday, Lucky Star and Ray Of Light. It doesn’t help that the sound quality is very poor.

Why would someone book tickets to a concert, clearly labelled as the MDNA TOUR, promoting the new album, MDNA, and expect that she won't perform any of the new songs. The whole idea is to promote the new album! There were plenty of the songs in the setlist anyway, and some she hasn't done in years! To be honest, it was nice for her NOT to perform ROL and certain other older songs which she has played to death over the last decade with previous tours. It was nice to hear new tracks, and the selection of older tracks was great; much better to hear stuff that she hasn't done in years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

deliberately selective? that was just a selection of what was posted on this very site. have a read of the madonna appreciation thread for yourself. it's pretty clear the gig didn't go down well

and on the subject of selective, if you bothered to read in full what i've said about the issue you would see i clearly addressed the problem in that when playing a stadium with 60,000+ people you will have a couple of thousand of what you would consider "fans" and tens of thousands of what you would consider "casual fans"

in other words, the "casual fans" outnumber the "fans" considerably

so when you play a large venue you have to consider what the "casual fans" want to hear as they make up the majority of the ticket buyers, and thus those are the people who are really paying the fee, no the "fans"

as you can see from the reviews, the "casual fans" want to hear the hits and stuff they know. and some recognition of the country they are playing in is always nice. i doubt madonna was referencing spinal tap when she shouted "i love you poland" at the london hyde park gig, do you?

and i didn't make the point that her voice was crap and trembly, it was a quote from a "fan" on the appreciation thread. and that same comment is clear on madonna fansites from "fans" who commented on how bad her vocals were when she switched from the lipsynching on the earlier part of the tour to "singing" live (although along to a backing track) from the berlin shows onwards

having a crappy trembly voice is not praise for a singer. it's not like she played some killer guitar solos to make up for it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Why would someone book tickets to a concert, clearly labelled as the MDNA TOUR, promoting the new album, MDNA, and expect that she won't perform any of the new songs. The whole idea is to promote the new album! There were plenty of the songs in the setlist anyway, and some she hasn't done in years! To be honest, it was nice for her NOT to perform ROL and certain other older songs which she has played to death over the last decade with previous tours. It was nice to hear new tracks, and the selection of older tracks was great; much better to hear stuff that she hasn't done in years.

i dunno, but there were tens of thousands of people at the murrayfield gig and thousands more at the other gigs, maybe you should ask them?

'I love you Poland': Hundreds of Madonna fans walk out of London concert branding it the WORST gig ever
    • Even a strip tease failed to impress many fans at the Hyde Park MDNA concert
    • Fans blamed a 10.30pm curfew, poor sound quality, rain and a failure to perform hits from back catalogue for dismal concert
    • Madonna's first gig in London for four years but £77 tickets failed to sell out
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2175367/Hundreds-Madonna-fans-walk-London-concert-branding-WORST-gig-ever.html#ixzz21TUEllFQ

Her career has spanned decades, survived fashions and struggled through a variety of public relations disasters.
    But last night hundreds of die-hard Madonna fans abandoned their Queen of Pop by marching out of London's Hyde Park during her MDNA concert - some branding it the worst they had ever seen.
    Even a sexy striptease on stage left fans cold- one simply stated: 'When Madonna has concerts in her 50s where she strips herself on stage, you know her career is as dead as myspace.'

Many fans decided they did not want to stick around to watch the finale as of the poor sound quality, terrible weather and Madonna's failure to perform more of her classic hits.
    One reviewer even said at one point Madonna screamed: 'We love you Poland', which if it was a joke fell flat on an already less than enthusiastic audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well how about me? I saw Madonna in 1987 at the very back of Wembley stadium. I saw her again in 1990 at the very back of a full to burst Wembley stadium. In 1993, I saw her once more at Wembley stadium, on my own at the back of the stadium. Each time was electric. She had every audience member in the palm of her hand. The audience were drunk on sheer amazement. I saw her again in 2004 at Earl's Court and again the atmosphere was totally WOW!!!!!
    I saw her at Hyde Park too last week. She was amazing, but because of curfews, beaurocracy, moaning minnies, the sound level was very low. The atmosphere was not as I had hoped but it WAS NOT due to her not singing hits. She sang 10 hits out of a 21 song show. All hardcore Madonna fans would have known them. If they didn't they weren't hardcore fans. The only people complaining about lack of hits were casual music fans. It is not Madonna's fault if they didn't realise she has continued making music since they bought The Immaculate Collection!

Madonna CAN hold an audience at large venues. But if the powers that be restrict what she is able to do by reducing noise, restricting the end time, then the atmosphere to a degree is going to be lessened.

you are talking about 20 years ago. some of the people at the gigs weren't born then

the curfews and restrictions are in place for all bands, and they don't have the same problems, but that is because as i say, she doesn't know how to pull off stadium shows

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/music/news-and-features/gig-review-madonna-murrayfield-stadium-edinburgh-1-2426150?commentspage=0

epa02

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 01:24 AM
    Just back from seeing Madonna at Murrayfield and have got to say it was pretty disappointing. Out of an approx 20 song set she played only 7 of her hits. They included a crap version of Open Your Heart with some drummers and only one verse of Papa Don't Preach. The others were Human Nature and the only saving graces Vogue, Express Yourself mixed with Lady Ga Ga's Born This Way and fantastic version of Like a Prayer. I know she has a new album to promote but why the hell does she have to play at least 7 songs from it. As for Like a Virgin this was not performed tonight which was also a disappointment as she has played it everywhere else. If this was due to time andor curfew issues I would have preferred something else was dropped from the set. Also in this day and age is it too much to ask to have the music in sync with the video screens?

Burnbrae

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 01:52 AM

No way 5 stars - you must've been at a different concert! A lot of dead time between Alesso and Madonna finally coming on stage. An equally dead awkward moment after Like a Prayer, where the crowd seemed to be expecting an encore until the 'Please Exit' signs appeared onscreen. A few moments of genius, but overall it was a bit of a disappointment. As the other commenter posted, poor video sync, and terrible audio quality in the stadium.

craigni01

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 01:56 AM
    Fiona was clearly at a different concert as Like a Virgin was cut from the setlist, the sound was bloody awful and people were walking out after a few songs!
    Pasha1974

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 01:58 AM
    Wasn't impressed myself. Self-indulgent reliance on new album, combined with a few flashes of greatness. If I'd paid the price some people are reported to have shelled out for tickets, I'd be furious. This was three stars at most.

stublazer

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 02:02 AM
    Blinking awful. Gig, no idea why the sound in the south stand was so awful but it was. Anyone else disturbed by the sites of a wee a american waving firearms at an audience? We got that on the second track . Was their a band? Or was she prancing in front of he biggest karaoke machine in the world. I've walked out of a few concerts but none as well expensive as this one. The support act was almost the highlight and it was dreadful. Can we have our money back?

edinburgh1001

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 02:56 AM

Completely agree with earlier posts.What planet is your reviewer on? Mind you she was probably be on a freebie invite. For the money we paid, we expected so, so much more. Goodness only knows what those who paid premium prices for golden circle or corporate tickets thought. Madonna is well known for starting hours after the ticket time, but usually for the wait, you are rewarded with a reasonable show. She and her promoters knew there were noise time restrictions tonight (and quite correctly for local residents) Why then did we wait over an hour for her to start after the warm up and then get 1 hour 40 of music which came across as a rushed set?! As a result of her arrogance and or apathy, at least 3 or 4 songs were cut from the set. She even had the cheek to announce to the crowd she was being rushed!! Why did she not come on earlier and let us hear what others have heard elsewhere in UK and abroad. Flashes of brilliance from the past but NEVER again at that price or for being such a diva (a title now rapidly running away from her now) Never heard so many unhappy people leaving a gig.

Music lover75

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 05:02 AM

Where do you start ??. Madonna knows about the 11pm curfew (as her London shows were cut short) yet She takes to the stage at approx 9-15pm and goes through the motions for only 1 and 3 quarter hours and no encore charging £90 for the 'privelidge'. The only winners were the people who got tickets for £15 from the touts swelling the crowd to almost half full capacity and even then many were leaving in their droves after 2 or 3 songs. The gig was a catastrophe and if she has any crumb of respect she should donate every single penny to the charity work that she drones on about all the time.. I have seen many superstar bandsacts and i was really looking forward to this show as i'd never seen her before- WHAT A LETDOWN.. Instead of taking thinly veiled swipes at GaGa, Madonna should actually watch and learn from her, or simply just call it a day.. She even had the cheek to patronise the fans halfway through the gig by saying "I really do appreciate your support"- Knowing full well she was doing half a show which was mainly lypsynched anyway. I think she was gutted as the place was no where near capacity and no wonder. That was garbage and i'm a fan (was)
    RickH

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 07:27 AM
    Pretty poor.. just a relief that Ticketmaster stuffed up and we got free tickets.. no worries leaving early. I have to echo the comments of those above who were disappointed.

He always asks for another tattie

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    My wife paid way over the odds for Gold Circle tickets from somewhere earlier in the year, at the time I was a bit skeptical. Last night I really felt so disappointed for her. She was so upset and wanted to leave after 45 minutes of Madge being on stage. My opinion, this was only slightly better than Take That in Glasgow last year and only saved by Like a Prayer. 4 out of 10 at best.

Artemis

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The support was awful - some DJ called Alesso doing his DJ thang to terrible electronic music, the sort of thing I hate with a fiery passion. Madonna was half an hour late starting. One of the people I went with had downloaded a set list from the internet, and we were somewhat apprehensive because the vast majority of it was stuff from the new album. The set list said the oldies would be Papa Don't Preach, Hung Up, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself, Vogue, Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer, and I love all of those except Open Your Heart, so I thought it would be ok. The first 20 minutes was stuff off the new album and it was really bad. It's all very dancey, in the sense it's that pounding electronic stuff with a thumping bass and horrible high frequency stuff on top that makes me feel sick. The songs were crap and her voice was vocodered to ****. The dancing was excellent, which is probably why she was using the vocoder. The stage production was all monks and mediaeval religious imagery and incense censures and crosses, then there were a lot of guns, and a lot of shooting and blood and splattery brains and things. I hated that, absolutely hated it. Call me old-fashioned, but on a Saturday night, I don't want to hear vocodered Madonna singing "I shot my lover in the head and now my lover is dead" over and over and over while the big screen shows splattery blood. It was like being in somebody else's nightmare.

Artemis

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It was really really disappointing, especially because the good bits were so good that you could see how good it all could have been. If they'd cut some of the new album and kept in Like a Virgin people might have thought they'd got their money's worth, but really, £77 for four and a half good songs is a bit much. People in the seats didn't even get out of their seats to dance for the first four songs. Folk were leaving in droves all the way through, most people were just sitting with their arms folded through most of it, and the whole place only came alive for the old songs. Oh, and she mooned us. I paid £77 to be mooned by Madonna. And what really cheeses me off is if I hadn't gone to see Madonna, I could have afforded to get a ticket for George Michael's rescheduled Symphonica tour that I want to see more than anything. Bah.

Cannonmills Commentator

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    Total rubbish concert. The sound in the upper west stand was truly dross. Who wrote this review? They must have stayed in the Roseburn Bar and filed their report from there. We walked out at 10.15pm and there were loads of others leaving too
    mrsmac

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    I am so so so so disappointed with last night - we paid £80 each for our tickets and couldn't hear a thing - we were on the west wing and high up but surely the accoustics should have been capable of everyone being able to hear what Madge was singing - it was so frustrating - we ended up leaving early- have never been to so bad a concert in my life. Forget the dance routines and get the basics right. People on the train was raging mad - and then I met a couple who had only paid £60 for 2 tickets. That just made me madder - anyone else experienced the same as me?

Sinc

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    Shambles. Didn't bother starting until 9.15pm, went off at 10.45am (so can't blame the curfew, her choice). However, if you were one of the many who paid full price for severely restricted view areas (such as West Stand 30), then you can request a full refund from info@livenation.co.uk. Just make sure you have the purchasers details and order number. As for the Scotsman's "review", worse than the gigi itself - no stars.

mmcn

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Madonna should be ashamed to put on such a poor quality show knowing she is a perfectionist. Couldn't even make out what song she was singing as all I heard from the stand was muffled garbled rubbish. After 20 minutes had had enough and went for a cup of tea. Obviously didn't spend much time checking out the accoustics. Waste of money.
    just some of the comments from fans on the edinburgh local newspaper website

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/music/news-and-features/gig-review-madonna-murrayfield-stadium-edinburgh-1-2426150?commentspage=0

if you have a look at the link you will see a lack of any positive comments
  • Options
    jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unique does work for the Daily Mail. Argh!:eek:
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The We Love You Poland thing has already been cleared up. She was joking with a Polish fan just before she performed Masterpiece and the whole incident is on Youtube. The Daily Mail printed a load of biased crap without researching it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artemis

Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

The support was awful - some DJ called Alesso doing his DJ thang to terrible electronic music, the sort of thing I hate with a fiery passion. Madonna was half an hour late starting. One of the people I went with had downloaded a set list from the internet, and we were somewhat apprehensive because the vast majority of it was stuff from the new album. The set list said the oldies would be Papa Don't Preach, Hung Up, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself, Vogue, Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer, and I love all of those except Open Your Heart, so I thought it would be ok. The first 20 minutes was stuff off the new album and it was really bad. It's all very dancey, in the sense it's that pounding electronic stuff with a thumping bass and horrible high frequency stuff on top that makes me feel sick. The songs were crap and her voice was vocodered to ****. The dancing was excellent, which is probably why she was using the vocoder. The stage production was all monks and mediaeval religious imagery and incense censures and crosses, then there were a lot of guns, and a lot of shooting and blood and splattery brains and things. I hated that, absolutely hated it. Call me old-fashioned, but on a Saturday night, I don't want to hear vocodered Madonna singing "I shot my lover in the head and now my lover is dead" over and over and over while the big screen shows splattery blood. It was like being in somebody else's nightmare.

So they booked the concert expecting that she wouldn't perform any new songs and would just do the oldies, DESPITE the tour being named as the MDNA TOUR clearly promoting the new album MDNA; it even has the same name! Honestly I just cannot understand the thoughts behind some people!

As for the poster posting all these quotes, maybe you should check out the appreciation thread and get some of the positive comments from there to even out the opinions, as it seems you're choosing only the negative and it's making you appear as somewhat of a troll. Yes there are people who weren't happy, that will ALWAYS happen, whoever performs, whatever they perform, but you're only picking out the bad comments; you can't fight a debate without including some of the positive because it just makes you appear to hate the artist involved in which case it doesn't matter what anyone else says because you're always going to try and put the artist down. Post some of the positive comments (I made a huge post in the appreciation thread full of them) and people may take you a bit more seriously.

EDIT:

Had to stop reading that selection of comments as it was just making me angry. I don't think half of the people making them even went to the show. One of them saying that AT LEAST FOUR SONGS WERE CUT which is just completely untrue! And it's not Madonna's fault if the atmosphere was lacking during the newer songs; it's not her fault if most of the audience hasn't actually bought the new album and just expected her to be doing a repeat of The Girlie Show. MDNA TOUR = MDNA ALBUM. It's not difficult to understand! Maybe in future these people just shouldn't bother if they're going to expect she won't perform new songs to promote the new album and if they're going to be so rude as to walk out halfway through. I'm tempted to think most of those who took advantage of the 'free ticket's just did it and went along to slate her anyway. They clearly weren't real fans, as real fans would have paid for their tickets already. (I accept there may be some exceptions; fans who couldn't afford tickets, but lets be honest, most of those with free tickets probably went along expecting The Immaculate Collection not even realising there was a new album out and just got annoyed when she didn't do enough older songs)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    So they booked the concert expecting that she wouldn't perform any new songs and would just do the oldies, DESPITE the tour being named as the MDNA TOUR clearly promoting the new album MDNA; it even has the same name! Honestly I just cannot understand the thoughts behind some people!

As for the poster posting all these quotes, maybe you should check out the appreciation thread and get some of the positive comments from there to even out the opinions, as it seems you're choosing only the negative and it's making you appear as somewhat of a troll. Yes there are people who weren't happy, that will ALWAYS happen, whoever performs, whatever they perform, but you're only picking out the bad comments; you can't fight a debate without including some of the positive because it just makes you appear to hate the artist involved in which case it doesn't matter what anyone else says because you're always going to try and put the artist down. Post some of the positive comments (I made a huge post in the appreciation thread full of them) and people may take you a bit more seriously.

EDIT:

Had to stop reading that selection of comments as it was just making me angry. I don't think half of the people making them even went to the show. One of them saying that AT LEAST FOUR SONGS WERE CUT which is just completely untrue! And it's not Madonna's fault if the atmosphere was lacking during the newer songs; it's not her fault if most of the audience hasn't actually bought the new album and just expected her to be doing a repeat of The Girlie Show. MDNA TOUR = MDNA ALBUM. It's not difficult to understand! Maybe in future these people just shouldn't bother if they're going to expect she won't perform new songs to promote the new album and if they're going to be so rude as to walk out halfway through. I'm tempted to think most of those who took advantage of the 'free ticket's just did it and went along to slate her anyway. They clearly weren't real fans, as real fans would have paid for their tickets already. (I accept there may be some exceptions; fans who couldn't afford tickets, but lets be honest, most of those with free tickets probably went along expecting The Immaculate Collection not even realising there was a new album out and just got annoyed when she didn't do enough older songs)

i did read the appreciation thread. as you can see if you read this thread, i posted several of the comments from that thread onto this one earlier.

here are some more from the appreciation thread...

"Well now the high has worn off I am left feeling a bit angry. This is nothing to do with Madonna but because of my seating I had a very restricted view and there was a hell of a lot I did not see. I feel a bit ripped off to be honest. The only part of the stage I could really see was the catwalk part, I could not see the screen at the back or anything happening on the back of the stage.

32 years I have waited for that moment I paid good money to seemingly miss most of it. I am inclined to make a complaint to the organisers."

"88 quid a ticket!!

The seats should not have been for sale to be honest as the view was restricted to the point you missed most of it. It was a god job that Madonna and the music was so good that I was up dancing but ultimately I feel that I paid for seats to see Madonna and missed the majority of it. "

"I had the opposite. I paid £77 and had a great view of all the stage, but unfortunately the atmosphere was a bit 'blah' during the newer songs because of the surrounding people not knowing any of the new songs :( The woman sat directly next to me didn't seem engaged with the show whatsoever until 'Like a Prayer'. "

"Great review Piip and glad you had a great time. I think stadium shows attract a lot of casual fans who think the are on the Immaculate Collection tour and also think they will have a great view when in reality that won't happen. It was the same at Hyde Park, I was right at the front barricades but all I could hear was 'is she going to do holiday?' I was the only one who knew any MDNA songs and it just led to a really flat atmosphere. In contrast Birmingham was a tiny arena and seemed to be hardcore fans and it was superb, everyone knew the words, the sound was great and no one was sat down. In future, I think I'm only going to bother with arenas "

and thats from the "appreciation" thread on this site alone

it doesn't matter what a tour is called, when playing a large venue you are only going to have a small percentage of what you would call "fans" and the vast majority are normal punters who want to hear the hits. if you want to play to the "fans", play a smaller venue instead of disappointing the majority of the paying punters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did read the appreciation thread. as you can see if you read this thread, i posted several of the comments from that thread onto this one earlier.

here are some more from the appreciation thread...

"Well now the high has worn off I am left feeling a bit angry. This is nothing to do with Madonna but because of my seating I had a very restricted view and there was a hell of a lot I did not see. I feel a bit ripped off to be honest. The only part of the stage I could really see was the catwalk part, I could not see the screen at the back or anything happening on the back of the stage.

32 years I have waited for that moment I paid good money to seemingly miss most of it. I am inclined to make a complaint to the organisers."

"88 quid a ticket!!

The seats should not have been for sale to be honest as the view was restricted to the point you missed most of it. It was a god job that Madonna and the music was so good that I was up dancing but ultimately I feel that I paid for seats to see Madonna and missed the majority of it. "

"I had the opposite. I paid £77 and had a great view of all the stage, but unfortunately the atmosphere was a bit 'blah' during the newer songs because of the surrounding people not knowing any of the new songs :( The woman sat directly next to me didn't seem engaged with the show whatsoever until 'Like a Prayer'. "

"Great review Piip and glad you had a great time. I think stadium shows attract a lot of casual fans who think the are on the Immaculate Collection tour and also think they will have a great view when in reality that won't happen. It was the same at Hyde Park, I was right at the front barricades but all I could hear was 'is she going to do holiday?' I was the only one who knew any MDNA songs and it just led to a really flat atmosphere. In contrast Birmingham was a tiny arena and seemed to be hardcore fans and it was superb, everyone knew the words, the sound was great and no one was sat down. In future, I think I'm only going to bother with arenas "

and thats from the "appreciation" thread on this site alone

it doesn't matter what a tour is called, when playing a large venue you are only going to have a small percentage of what you would call "fans" and the vast majority are normal punters who want to hear the hits. if you want to play to the "fans", play a smaller venue instead of disappointing the majority of the paying punters

Yes, you posted from the appreciation thread, however, you failed to post any positive comments whatsoever, and there are certainly more of those than there are negative. I can't take you seriously in this discussion until you acknowledge that not all the posts and opinions people have are negative. And no, it doesn't matter what the tour is called, but when you are playing a tour to promote a new album, punters have to expect that a large majority of that tour will be made up of new material. Your argument just falls flat. Would you see Gaga's new tour and expect her to play only songs from her first album? NO. Would you go and watch Coldplay and expect only songs from their older albums? NO. I can't see why people think Madonna should be any different. Until she announces a 'Greatest Hits' tour, her tours will always contain new material. If people don't want to see that then they shouldn't bother going.

If you want to have a proper discussion, a debate, then you need to pick up on these things. You need to post some of the positive comments to show that not everyone that went to Murrayfield was angry or disappointed, otherwise you just come across as a basher, which clearly you are. If you read my review you'll find some VERY positive comments, maybe you should post some of those here.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your point unique is that she should play arenas rather than stadiums? Okay so we all agree on that. If you read properly though most people actually praise Madonna's performance on the AT. I think you've made you point:)