Options

What glue would I need?

GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wore these shoes for the first time today and after an hour this had happened! http://i61.tinypic.com/1zn607a.jpg

I contacted YC and they are refunding me but told me to keep the shoes.

So what type of glue would be best for sticking the sole to the wedge? And do I need to do any type of prep before hand like getting rid of the old glue?

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If in doubt, Araldite the bejesus out of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers I was thinking Araldite but didn't know if there would be something better.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Any tacky glue should work...spread it on both surfaces leave it for a minute or so to go tacky, press together and hold
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take it to a shoe menders, they will use a proper adhesive for the job.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Cheers I was thinking Araldite but didn't know if there would be something better.
    Araldite will go brittle and crack.

What you need is a good quality flexible contact adhesive.

I would use something like clear Shoe Goo or Evo although Evo does eventual dry out.
  • Options
    cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found this on Yahoo answers.

I use contact cement to glue laminate to counter tops. Coat both surfaces and let dry for about 20 minutes (or as specified in the directions) and then place exactly where you want it. Be careful! No do overs! You put it on crooked and it is there forever.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I glued my daughters boots when the uppers came away from the sole, they are well worn, so is still doing the trick before she goes to clarks to get a proper new fitting.

I used multi purpose glue from b&m it is tacky and solvent based, a little goes a long way, should work well on your shoes. Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another way, ( and I advise this cautiously ), would be to use kitchen sealant, if you have any,-- spread thinly, don't go near the edges,-- I used this method in a rush once to stick two pieces of leather together, it worked. It stained the leather a bit but it didn't matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Another way, ( and I advise this cautiously ), would be to use kitchen sealant, if you have any,-- spread thinly, don't go near the edges,-- I used this method in a rush once to stick two pieces of leather together, it worked. It stained the leather a bit but it didn't matter.

Use an old butter knife too, or it might clump a bit, I find sealant dries too quickly, used it when repairing a sole to the tread on my biker boots..They were well gone though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Use an old butter knife too, or it might clump a bit, I find sealant dries too quickly, used it when repairing a sole to the tread on my biker boots..They were well gone though!
    Butter knife that would do it, did the repair work for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Butter knife that would do it, did the repair work for you?

Well yes they saw through an extra week of gigs, that was extreme use though, so would be an almost permanent repair for the ops shoes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh, I have kitchen sealant so could give that a try. There is a shoe repair place up at our local Tesco not sure how much they would charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its worth a go just cling film the fancy bits and put a few small beads on then spread like butter! then press, have a damp cloth handy to wipe any excess..Good luck and hopefully you wont need the cobblers visit xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ooh, I have kitchen sealant so could give that a try. There is a shoe repair place up at our local Tesco not sure how much they would charge.
    Proper stuff to do the right job, ( shoe goo ), but I see no reason why sealant might not work, spread it thinly, ( butter knife ), but not to thinly, not to near the edges but you still need the edges to stick. Any that squishes out of the edges, either use spit immediately to wipe away, ( not water ), or when repair thoroughly dry, rub excess away.

Now you will have weight down the repair, not easy, probably the easiest way is to stand in the shoe, but don't walk in them, no movement, you will break the seal, 10 minutes should do it, take off and allow to dry for a good few hours.

Remember this might work or you might have a mess on your hands, shoe repairer might be a better option. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super glue will stick most things and the joint remains flexible - I've often used it on shoes and it works a treat.

Advise wearing rubber gloves, as it sticks fingers together a treat too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol, its all good advice here for a change, I put stones and newspaper in the boots, they were well past it though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On second thoughts, might just take them to the shoe repair place. They are free shoes at the moment and I doubt a repair is going to be the cost of the shoes. Which weren't expensive anyway.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cobblers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought, I have some E6000 in my craft supplies. Would that do?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61XAerVbVHL._SL1500_.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought, I have some E6000 in my craft supplies. Would that do?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61XAerVbVHL._SL1500_.jpg
    Can't help I have never used it.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've worn them only once? Why aren't you returning them to where you bought them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've worn them only once? Why aren't you returning them to where you bought them?
    Read the OP first post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As said in my first post I contacted the online shop I bought them from, they have refunded me and told me to keep them.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    My advice would be that, whatever glue you use to try and fix them, you might as well flog them on eBay because they're never going to be fixed reliably.

I reckon one of the best things you can use for that sort of repair is probably some kind of silicone sealant (smear it on liberally, press the parts together, neatly wipe off any surplus and then let it dry for up to 7 days) but it'll still come loose again at some point in the future and you'll always know it's cos it's that "weak joint" that you repaired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they were just glued together in the first place so could just be the glue they used failed for some reason. Will repair them/get the repaired and see how they go. I have another pair in another colour same style and they have been fine.