Options

spike tv coming to UK (replacing viva on freeview)

hotguy25hotguy25 Posts: 879
Forum Member
✭✭
Haven't seen any threads about this

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hotguy25 wrote: »
    Haven't seen any threads about this

(Ok there is a thread in the freeview forum)
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Replacing Viva in 2015 on Freeview

Viva to stay on Sky & Virgin.

Looks like they are going to show a lot of 5* shows.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when people say "so-and-so channel is coming to the UK".

A channel called the same name is coming to the UK, but it isn't the same channel...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A channel called the same name is coming to the UK, but it isn't the same channel...

Shit happens, get over it
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It depends really. Spike TV UK will have the same owner and format as the American channel, but programmes will differ. So it's not like Bravo US and the former Bravo UK, which just happened to share a name but had nothing else in common.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read VIVA shows move to 5*. VIVA continues on Sky and cable.

Wonder what Spike will show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read VIVA shows move to 5*. VIVA continues on Sky and cable.

Wonder what Spike will show?

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broadcasters/viacom-to-launch-spike-tv-in-uk/5078408.article?blocktitle=Top-Stories&contentID=2298
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linking to pay sites is annoying.

Sorry worked for me when I googled it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Sorry worked for me when I googled it.

Broadcast's site is set up so you're fine if you google it, but if you come from a link it asks you to subscribe. Try googling the link and it should work fine...
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spike’s UK schedules will combine repeats of C5 factual programmes, such as Police Interceptors and Cowboy Builders with Spike US content such as Bar Rescue.

The channel will also feature acquired films, TV series and library content from Viacom.

From http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/Viacom-to-launch-male-skewed-TV-channel-Spike-on-Freeview_nid-4694.html

I'd assume lots & lots of episodes of Cops will come into it as well.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good move by Viacom, Spike TV will give them a channel to compete with Dave and itv4, will Sky now bring back Bravo as a challenger to these? When does the TNA contract with Sky/Challenge end and will it remain with Challenge or move to Spike UK?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    yorksdave wrote: »
    A good move by Viacom, Spike TV will give them a channel to compete with Dave and itv4, will Sky now bring back Bravo as a challenger to these? When does the TNA contract with Sky/Challenge end and will it remain with Challenge or move to Spike UK?

I don't think so, Sky Bravo would be an oversaturation of the market, and if all Spike has is a few cop shows from C5, it will probably fail. It needs fairly big name original content, but whether C5 or Viacom will obtain any for it remains to be seen...
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, Sky Bravo would be an oversaturation of the market, and if all Spike has is a few cop shows from C5, it will probably fail. It needs fairly big name original content, but whether C5 or Viacom will obtain any for it remains to be seen...

I think Viacom will be working on getting more content for Spike UK, but it will take time, as they have gone for a quick launch (early 2015), as for over-saturation, that goes for many sectors of the TV marketplace, with female skewed channels been one of the most saturated, Sky may feel they want a piece of the action and given their track record might launch Bravo Mk 2 as a spoiler tactic.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance Spike TV will show all the episodes of Friends yet again:D
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

Cops is already on CBS Reality on Freeview
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an ideal world (emphasis on the word 'ideal'.) spike would by the entertainment channel, and viva would be a free music channel.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

"Viacom’s UK portfolio also includes Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, VH1 and Paramount Channel."

Paramount Channel?!? We haven't seen that in the UK for over 10 years!
  • Options
    spursgaleaspursgalea Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorksdave wrote: »

I don't think spike uk would bother with tna.spike have dropped it in the usa
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    NoEntry2k wrote: »

"Viacom’s UK portfolio also includes Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, VH1 and Paramount Channel."

Paramount Channel?!? We haven't seen that in the UK for over 10 years!

17 years in fact! :o;-)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Cops is already on CBS Reality on Freeview
    What seasons do they have the rights to though?

I can't imagine for a moment that Cops won't eventually appear on Spike in the UK, if not straight away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not going to be just be repeats though. It's already been said that it will have its own controller and will be commissioning original UK content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Any chance Spike TV will show all the episodes of Friends yet again:D
    Female-skewing no?

More likely to turn up on 5* if rights allow.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bellator mma might be on this channel.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Never heard of Spike TV but no doubt more dross by the sound of it.