The most beautiful parts of the United Kingdom.

Comments

• bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Cleethorpes in January is something to behold.

.......better than Mablethorpe in March?...

.....I don't think so.:)
  • Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lancashire - my home county, especially in the spring and early summer.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    .......better than Mablethorpe in March?...

.....I don't think so.:)

That's a tough call.:)
  • bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    I think the Whole Country has its beauty spots, and I have had much pleasure throughout life discovering them...we live in a very beautiful place.
    Forum Member
    Lancashire - my home county, especially in the spring and early summer.

The county of my birth! :)

It’s certainly a county of outstanding natural beauty.

Many people from Wigan believe this to be the finest view anywhere on the planet.

Stunning vista.
  • Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The county of my birth! :)

It’s certainly a county of outstanding natural beauty.

Many people from Wigan believe this to be the finest view anywhere on the planet.

Stunning vista.

Ain't that the truth. :D
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stunning vista.

that's convinced me....a nice pie is worth more than just a lovely seascape or snow capped mountains ...I'm off to Wigan :D
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful place.
    Snobby locals with an island mentality.
    Grotty pubs with unwashed cliquey clientelle.
    I wondered how long it would take before a misery guts invaded a very pleasant thread.
    Do you have a positive contribution to the thread?

Rhosilli Bay voted best in UK, 3rd best in Europe, ninth in world.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-26625340
    bookcover wrote: »
    I think the Whole Country has its beauty spots, and I have had much pleasure throughout life discovering them...we live in a very beautiful place.
    Absolutely agree.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wastwater is the most beautiful place I have been in the UK, but that may change in a couple of weeks once I have been to Scotland.
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rhosilli Bay voted best in UK, 3rd best in Europe, ninth in world.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-26625340

I have no idea why.
    It's just a long beach, with an expensive car park and a seriously scummy pub.
    Who was voting for it? The snobby locals, some of whom live in Swansea, but call themselves Gower. They probably moan that they don't have a Waitrose too.

For the positive contribution you require, I'd go for Box Hill, Shere, the view from Newlands Corner, Charmouth and Arundel.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beaches around Tenby in Wales, plus the waterways around nearby Angle.

Some of the countryside around Devon is very picturesque, too.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    Highlands and islands of Scotland are just spectacular.

Very true,
    There is another part of Scotland which is very attractive is the borders region,

Coldstream
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/coldstream-scottish-borders.html

Edins Hall Berwickshire
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/edins-hall-broch-berwickshire.html
  • Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I nearly put The Burren/West Coast of Ireland!

second the Burren though obviously not the UK,
  • Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironbridge gorge - simply stunning.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    I will start with a part of the country I know quite well and that is Northumberland, but I would be interested what other peoples' opinions are.
    It doesn't have to be countryside but towns, cities, villages or seascapes.

Here are some photos of Northumberland.

Lindisfarne, the Holy Island
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/lindisfarne-holy-island-northumberland.html

Bamburgh Castle
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/bamburgh-castle-northumberland.html

Northumberland Landscapes
    http://northumbrianimages.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/northumberland-hills-moors.html

There are loads of stunning places all over the UK

Kielder
    Loch lomond (stop at duck bay marina)
    Loch long (at arrochar)
    inveraray (the whole road up there from Arrochar)
    Dunster (round the back of the castle theres an amazing view)
    Heads of Ayr (climb right up the hill, amazing view)
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dorset
    Lake District
    Cornwall
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why.
    Who was voting for it? The snobby locals, some of whom live in Swansea, but call themselves Gower. They probably moan that they don't have a Waitrose too.

Probably the people like me who have spent many a wonderful weekend camping there just enjoying the peace and the scenery, or the many surfers.

Sounds like you went to the Worms Head end of the beach, which people coming there from Swansea tend to do...and the pub there is pretty atmosphere less I will admit, although the views are superb. People who are in the know visit Rhossili from the Llangennith end and the pub there was always great
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I have no idea why.

For the positive contribution you require, I'd go for Box Hill, Shere, the view from Newlands Corner, Charmouth and Arundel.
    I lived in Littlehampton for a while, i found arundel nice but nothing special.:kitty:
  • ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rural coastline of Northern Ireland for sure. :)
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I lived in Littlehampton for a while, i found arundel nice but nothing special.:kitty:

I've done a lot of walking between Arundel and Amberley. I remember it as lovely.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Lovely pics. It never ceases to amaze me how good the beaches are. Often silver sand and turquoise sea. They could be beeches in the Caribbean (except for the temperature) :)

There's a seaweed that when it dies leaves nodules of calcium carbonate - the same mineral as coral.

If you go to Skye you get the beaches:
    Claigan

The Cuillins
    Cuillin ridge

Old man of Storr
    Old Man

I'd like to visit Harris sometime too, though its even more of a ball-ache to get to than Skye :(
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cleethorpes in January is something to behold.

Preferably from space.
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking out over Cheshire from beeston castle is a sight.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »

We are very lucky to have such a variety of beautiful landscape in such a small country.
    Forum Member
    Wastwater is the most beautiful place I have been in the UK, but that may change in a couple of weeks once I have been to Scotland.

If you are going to the Lakes this is another beautiful spot;

http://www.golakedistrict.co.uk/index.php?page=watendlath-from-surprise-view

I’ve been there several times in the past (many years ago now) and not without reason is it called ‘Surprise View’; on a clear sunny day the panoramic view across Derwentwater and beyond, is simply breathtaking. No photograph could ever do it justice.

You can drive almost all the way up there and it’s not a difficult walk to the ‘view’ itself, across the picturesque (much photographed & painted) Ashness bridge.

Sit up there with your ‘flask of tea & butties’; what’s more romantic than that?............well, lots of things really, but you know what I mean. :)

However, it really needs good clear skies to be appreciated fully; much as I love the Lakes it can be a particularly miserable place during inclement weather.

P.S. just a note of caution; although it’s perfectly safe up there, any children would need to be strictly supervised; the ‘view’ itself is close to a sheer-drop.