Options

Greece pushed a step closer to Grexit after IMF snub

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
If Greece gets away with not paying back its debts I can see Spain and Italy going the same way towards the exit from the Eurozone, which might not a bad thing.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/apr/16/greece-moves-step-closer-to-grexit-after-imf-snub

Comments

• Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't be the only person who absolutely ****ing loathes this horrible sounding 'Grexit' term which has emerged for some reason. Can it just stop?
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    If Greece gets away with not paying back its debts I can see Spain and Italy going the same way towards the exit from the Eurozone, which might not a bad thing.
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/apr/16/greece-moves-step-closer-to-grexit-after-imf-snub

If Spain and or Italy leave the Euro is finished. Hurry up Spain and Italy!!
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »

The Treasury and Bank of England have begun contingency planning for this possibility.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11417643/Osborne-demands-Plan-B-as-eurozone-talks-with-Greece-collapse.html

Though they won't reveal what those plans are.

A Deloittes report on a euro collapse provides some illuminating reading
    https://www.treasurers.org/ACTmedia/Eurocontingency_DeloitteACT_reissue030112.pdf

Looking at this report confirms my own guesses (for that they are worth!). If the event of a partial or complete euro collapse, the UK government will have to provide near limitless amounts of money to any British company or British bank which has any dealings with any company or bank based in the eurozone.

As with the 2007-8 UK banking crisis, the UK government needs to spend as much money much as necessary to prevent financial panic.

As well preventing financial panic, the UK government will have much else to consider in the event of a euro collapse.
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2079260/UK-prepares-euro-collapse-plan-block-rush-cash-push-pound-unsustainable-level.html
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

Typical UKIP... break everything in order to get your way.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christine Lagarde of the IMF is the perfect hollywood bad guy stereotype.
    The white hair, the weird grey suit, the oh-so-reasonable manner... Even the name is perfect.

So Lagarde, do you expect us to pay?

No, Mr Greece, I expect you to die!

If this IMF thing doesn't work out for her she could maybe hold the USA to ransom with an orbiting death ray device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Typical UKIP... break everything in order to get your way.

Not really. The Euro members have only themselves to blame for their ridiculous situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really. The Euro members have only themselves to blame for their ridiculous situation.

They don't need the vultures swirling around them though.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Hope they do leave and the EU collapses, no doubt the initial years/decade after the collapse will be painful, but in the long term it will only be beneficial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't need the vultures swirling around them though.

What vultures are they. I'd love to see someone from Brussels just come out and admit that their Euro project is a disaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think we are past blaming.

I think we need to focus on what might happen if the eurozone collapses.

There might be a clue in the events which took place in the UK on 14-15 September 2007. At the hint of financial difficulties, people panic.

In the days leading up the eurozone collapse and financial meltdown across the Channel, the UK government number 1 task will be to prevent panic. Which providing reassurance and any amount of money needed to reassure the British public and British business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    I think we are past blaming.

I think we need to focus on what might happen if the eurozone collapses.

There might be a clue in the events which took place in the UK on 14-15 September 2007.

Remind me what happened?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What vultures are they.

The vultures who want to see economies fail completely just so they can forward their own agenda.

It's really quite unpleasant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vultures who want to see economies fail completely just so they can forward their own agenda.

It's really quite unpleasant.

What about the ignorant people who set up the Euro and were warned time and time again that Athens and Berlin or Lisbon and Helsinki do not have the same types of economy to have a single currency yet they went ahead anyway. Should they not have some of the blame?
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What vultures are they. I'd love to see someone from Brussels just come out and admit that their Euro project is a disaster.

A breakup of the UK is a much likelier event actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should they not have some of the blame?

Yes.

But it doesn't alter the facts. And there are more even pressing concerns that blaming people. What action should the UK government be taking to protect its citizens, British banks and British business in the event of eurozone collapse ?

Like you, I have concerns about the eurozone's future. What concerns me more is what happens to us ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remind me what happened?

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyVk8EI6asQ
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Euro will find a solution to hold Greece by the balls again. Eventually greece has to stand up and be a man and say, we ****ed up, we totally screwed our economy. We need help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be no full break up of the eurozone. Generally people and media in the UK fail to grasp the political will in europe, especially from Germany to keep the euro show on the road.
    Over the last few years and especially at the height of the crisis, the Daily Telegraph especially along with most of the British media have been forecasting the demise of the euro.

So ask yourself a question, just how many countries have left the eurozone? NONE
    How many times has Ambrose Pritchard from the Daily Telegraph warned about an imminent*collapse, yet new countries have joined since those predictions.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be no full break up of the eurozone. Generally people and media in the UK fail to grasp the political will in europe, especially from Germany to keep the euro show on the road.
    Over the last few years and especially at the height of the crisis, the Daily Telegraph especially along with most of the British media have been forecasting the demise of the euro.

So ask yourself a question, just how many countries have left the eurozone? NONE
    How many times has Ambrose Pritchard from the Daily Telegraph warned about an imminent*collapse, yet new countries have joined since those predictions.

What's even stronger than the determination of euro governments and the ECB to maintain the euro is their refusal to allow those who enriched themselves, bankers and so on, in causing the financial crisis, to pay any price for it. Hence their absolute refusal, along with the IMF, to write off any Greek debt. Just as with Ireland, where the EU insisted investors in Ireland;s bankrupt banks must be bailed out, in full, by the people of Ireland, they'll make no concession to Greece that could cost their rich friends anything. That attitude could lead to the euro breaking up messily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    What's even stronger than the determination of euro governments and the ECB to maintain the euro is their refusal to allow those who enriched themselves, bankers and so on, in causing the financial crisis, to pay any price for it. Hence their absolute refusal, along with the IMF, to write off any Greek debt. Just as with Ireland, where the EU insisted investors in Ireland;s bankrupt banks must be bailed out, in full, by the people of Ireland, they'll make no concession to Greece that could cost their rich friends anything. That attitude could lead to the euro breaking up messily.

You're right about the ECB and the EU refusing to allow bankers or bondholders to pay the price for their mistakes or as we like to say in Ireland being paid a return on their failed betting slips. Now in Ireland we had a large banking crisis, but in Greece most of their woes was a fiscal crisis. They were living way, way beyond their means and pretty much had a non existent tax collecting system. Greece can be let loose now as Draghi and Merkel know there will be little or no contagion despite what you may read in the Daily Telegraph. Greece should have been let loose years ago but the Germans and the ECB kept them in as they feared back then, one country's exit may bring the whole show tumbling down. The euro will be here next year, in five years, in ten years and so on.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course.

The Germany economy would be bought to a standstill if it had to go back to the Mark, the value would so high.

The problem is, Germanys success is what is causing the problems in Southern Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course.

The Germany economy would be bought to a standstill if it had to go back to the Mark, the value would so high.

The problem is, Germanys success is what is causing the problems in Southern Europe.

Also opinion poll after opinion poll in eurozone countries including Greece always shows a majority of peoples still wanting to use the euro. So while the political will is huge in Germany it is widespread in the eurozone, British newspapers never really grasp this either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right about the ECB and the EU refusing to allow bankers or bondholders to pay the price for their mistakes or as we like to say in Ireland being paid a return on their failed betting slips. Now in Ireland we had a large banking crisis, but in Greece most of their woes was a fiscal crisis. They were living way, way beyond their means and pretty much had a non existent tax collecting system. Greece can be let loose now as Draghi and Merkel know there will be little or no contagion despite what you may read in the Daily Telegraph. Greece should have been let loose years ago but the Germans and the ECB kept them in as they feared back then, one country's exit may bring the whole show tumbling down. The euro will be here next year, in five years, in ten years and so on.

When the euro began my main reason for opposing it, and especially opposing the UK joining, was that I knew that when a serious economic crisis occurred, whatever the cause , it would put the euro under great strain. The divergent needs of the member states would be amplified, with much animosity between them occurring, leading perhaps to the euro, and maybe even the EU, breaking up, and we are possibly on that path. Even worse fascists are gaining support in some countries, just as they did in the slump of the thirties. I fear we maybe repeating that history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    When the euro began my main reason for opposing it, and especially opposing the UK joining, was that I knew that when a serious economic crisis occurred, whatever the cause , it would put the euro under great strain. The divergent needs of the member states would be amplified, with much animosity between them occurring, leading perhaps to the euro, and maybe even the EU, breaking up, and we are possibly on that path. Even worse fascists are gaining support in some countries, just as they did in the slump of the thirties. I fear we maybe repeating that history.

I'm not sure we're on a path of breakup but politics is changing in europe, be it the True Finns in Finland, Podemos in Spain, Syriza in Greece, SNP perhaps holding the balance of power across the water in a couple of weeks or even in Ireland. But as we in Ireland have a PR voting system, our change is and will be even greater. But in saying that, polls across europe still favour EU membership or EZ membership.

Take Britain, if consistent polls on the EU showed a majority wanting to stay in the EU and an actual referendum produced a majority wanting to stay, a UK PM would have no legitimacy to withdraw Britain from Europe. That is currently the picture in the eurozone, there is just no appetite to leave.

Take my country Ireland, we are currently the fastest growing economy not only in the eurozone but the whole EU, including Britain. Spain is beginning to grow again and it is hope the eurozone is finally getting out of this crisis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »

Now the Americans are putting pressure on Greece,

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/us-piles-pressure-athens-greek-224015918.html#ezHz2Dv

Obama more directly called on Athens to accept the requirements that EU negotiators insist upon before releasing any more funds from the massive financial rescue program.
    "Greece needs to initiate reforms," Obama said at a joint press conference with Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi at the White House.
    "They have to collect taxes. They have to reduce their bureaucracy, (institute) more flexible labor practices," he said.

Read the full article and you say the Americans are worried that Grexit could cause chaos on financial markets. If said markets can be so spooked by the problems of a small country like Greece, then it's the markets that need reforming.