American sitcoms shown in Britain in the 80s

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What were the American sitcoms of the 1980s that were shown over here that you liked most, and best remember? Do you recall any obscure ones? what did you like about them?

Mine are;

Kate & Allie ( 1984-89) Used to love watching this in the late 80s on Channel 4

The Golden Girls ( 1986-92) Again, a very good comedy one of the best US sitcoms ever!

Perfect Stranger ( 1986 -93) This is an obscure one that many will not recall. All about a guy in Chicago who's dopey eastern European relative comes to stay with him. Think I enjoyed this as a child, mainly because of the foreign blokes silly voice.

Add yours.:)

Comments

• chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you talking bout Willis?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Golden Girls was a classic. And Roseanne in its early seasons.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Mine are;

Kate & Allie ( 1984-89) Used to love watching this in the late 80s on Channel 4

Perfect Stranger ( 1986 -93) This is an obscure one that many will not recall. All about a guy in Chicago who's dopey eastern European relative comes to stay with him. Think I enjoyed this as a child, mainly because of the foreign blokes silly voice.

Kate & Allie used to air at 9pm on a Monday night, IIRC. A weird slot for a US sitcom. Good show though.

Perfect Strangers was a favourite of mine. I remember being a bit annoyed when it was cancelled for coverage of the Herald Of Free Enterprise disaster. I was a young idiot. Now only one of those words applies.
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newhart Ch4
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The Golden Girls was a classic. And Roseanne in its early seasons.

Roseanne was the only American sitcom that got working class people right imho, the first three seasons are just gold! Worth re-watching to see George Clooney as her clueless supervisor :) :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmNk-S3KhMo
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Married with Children and Sledgehammer were favourites of mine
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Kate & Allie used to air at 9pm on a Monday night, IIRC. A weird slot for a US sitcom. Good show though.

Perfect Strangers was a favourite of mine. I remember being a bit annoyed when it was cancelled for coverage of the Herald Of Free Enterprise disaster. I was a young idiot. Now only one of those words applies.

Hey Gulf, what was the name of the foreign guy? and didn't he have some kind of catchphrase? I am sure I remember him having one hmm!:confused:
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Metal Mickey from that period?
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Soap, was that one? And Benson.
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Was Metal Mickey from that period?

It was, but it was homegrown - made by LWT. Although Micky Dolenz directed/produced it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newhart Ch4

When was Newhart shown over here? I don't remember it at all. Was it early or late 80s?
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Soap, was that one? And Benson.

It sure was, and funny too. Always started with the narrator giving a summary of the convoluted plot so far and saying "Confused? You won't be". Nice theme tune too. Billy Crystal was in it.

Taxi. Loads of names who became famous is that one. Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd and others.
    Loved Cheers too.
    An obscure one is "Dream On" about a recently divorced guy who often sees conflicts in his life as flashbacks to old TV shows he watched when he was a kid.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Gulf, what was the name of the foreign guy? and didn't he have some kind of catchphrase? I am sure I remember him having one hmm!:confused:

Balki. "Now, that we are so happy, we do the dance of joy!" ;):blush:
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously Taxi and Cheers spring to mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Balki was his name. He used to say 'Don't be ridiculous' a lot, but his dance of joy was more prominent, I think.

I remember laughing myself daft in one episode where they'd been to the gym to impress some girls and really over done it. When they got home they both fall asleep, only to wake up and realise they are so stiff from their workouts that they can barely move, and a chase round the apartment begins as they both try and be first to the phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Balki was his name. He used to say 'Don't be ridiculous' a lot, but his dance of joy was more prominent, I think.

I remember laughing myself daft in one episode where they'd been to the gym to impress some girls and really over done it. When they got home they both fall asleep, only to wake up and realise they are so stiff from their workouts that they can barely move, and a chase round the apartment begins as they both try and be first to the phone.

Haha i think I remember that one. I always recall watching these around 1987 ish after school, early evening time. The theme is so 80s. Saxophones and everything!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am too young to have watched TAXI unfortunately as I was only about 6 when the last series was aired over here in around 1984. BUT I do remember the evening run downs that included clips of the show that night. It was always on quite late wasn't it? The theme music instantly transports me back to those days and my early years. Even though I never actually watched the show itself! Weird huh?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am too young to have watched TAXI unfortunately as I was only about 6 when the last series was aired over here in around 1984. BUT I do remember the evening run downs that included clips of the show that night. It was always on quite late wasn't it? The theme music instantly transports me back to those days and my early years. Even though I never actually watched the show itself! Weird huh?:)

Taxi could be fantastic at times. I will always be grateful to the show because the news that channel 4 were going to air a 'new sitcom from the makers of 'Taxi'' is the reason I started watching 'Cheers', my sitcom obsession for most of the 80's. I loved that show.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roseanne
    The Cosby Show
    Who's The Boss
    Alf
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    It sure was, and funny too. Always started with the narrator giving a summary of the convoluted plot so far and saying "Confused? You won't be". Nice theme tune too. Billy Crystal was in it.

Taxi. Loads of names who became famous is that one. Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd and others.
    Loved Cheers too.
    An obscure one is "Dream On" about a recently divorced guy who often sees conflicts in his life as flashbacks to old TV shows he watched when he was a kid.
    Used to love Dream On. Especially the naughty bits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When was Newhart shown over here? I don't remember it at all. Was it early or late 80s?

It was in the 80's. It used to be shown in the Friday night 'Cheers' slot on Channel 4.

Wonderful series. I was a bit upset at how few UK viewers appreciated the brilliance of Bob Newhart when he appeared in 'The Big Bang Theory'. The man's timing is still fantastic.
  • porkensteinporkenstein Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »

They were brilliant ;)
  • AL_BundyAL_Bundy Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »

Ditto
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Out Of This World
    Saved By The Bell
    Three's Company
    Three's A Crowd
    You Again?
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AL_Bundy wrote: »
    Ditto

Never have guessed, Al! :D

Really liked a lot already mentioned; Taxi, Soap, Newhart, Married....

Cheers was the first I watched religiously from the first episode.

Sledgehammer! I caught in the 'graveyard' slot after I'd been out for a few bevvies. Saw the title sequence and thought, god, this looks blinking awful! Watched a few minutes thinking; this is corny rubbish!

Then the penny dropped. Great series. :)