Problem deleting files, recording HDR FOX T2

BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,197
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My Humax HD FOX T2 not in my good books today.

Essentially it seems to be having an issue deleting content. I finally decided to wipe all the Olympic content off it yesterday now I've got the DVD and a few other bits and bobs, but it seems to be struggling to do so - and as a result new recording appear to have failed (the icon comes up when they're due to record, but they're not appearing in the planner).

When put into standby the box isn't turning itself off, and when I go back to the Media planner it is still saying it's "deleting", with the files not disappearing.

If I turn the box off completly then turn it back on all the content that it's supposedly deleted appears back in the planner.

Now, the obvious solution is to format the HDD - but I go to do that and the option is greyed out and can't be accessed. The same with the Factory Default - ideally I'd just format rather than do that, but I don't think I've got much choice. If I do turn it off completely upon turning it back on I can access the installation menu briefly and get to the Factory Reset point and opt to format HDD drive - so hopefully that would then work. I can't though seem to get to the option just to Format the HDD drive quick enough!

Anyone experienced something similar or have any ideas other than attempting to reformat or revert to factory settings. Why can't these things just be like PCs and stop trying to do whatever they're trying to do when you turn them off and on again! :rolleyes:

BTW, everything else seems to be fine - I can watch TV (just not use the pause/rewind function) and schedule recordings in the EPG, which then show they're recording but don't actually record.

Really hoping it's something that can be fixed as I'll probably end up blacklisted if I take yet another PVR back to the store (think this was my third attempt!). I had an issue months ago with a corrupted file causing problems and formatting the HDD sorted that out - but I seem to need to be able to stop the HDD doing whatever it's trying to do to enable me to do that, and there is no obvious Ctrl+Alt+Del equivalent!

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't think that is the best advice at this point in time. The best solution is to install the custom firmware which has a maintenance mode that will fix the deleting loop problem and correct any errors causing the disk to be mounted as read only (which is the root cause of your problems) see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't think that is the best advice at this point in time. The best solution is to install the custom firmware which has a maintenance mode that will fix the deleting loop problem and correct any errors causing the disk to be mounted as read only (which is the root cause of your problems) see http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Overview

You didn't read the information properly :eek:

Within the link posted is a sublink linking to a footnote as follows
    http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/things-every-hd-fox-t2-hdr-fox-t2-owner-should-know.1858/#post-33793
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to both of you. I had managed to watch the last couple of things I wanted to so in the end went for the factory reset option. Recording is certainly fixed now, hopefully deleting will be too otherwise I will follow the advise in those links above and try again if needs be.

And people may dismiss the PVR in the days of On-Demand but On-Demand is only any good if it has the shows you want. I've had to go down alternative routes today to track down one of the shows that failed to record, especially as it doesn't seem to get a repeat either.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Thanks to both of you. I had managed to watch the last couple of things I wanted to so in the end went for the factory reset option. Recording is certainly fixed now, hopefully deleting will be too otherwise I will follow the advise in those links above and try again if needs be.

And people may dismiss the PVR in the days of On-Demand but On-Demand is only any good if it has the shows you want. I've had to go down alternative routes today to track down one of the shows that failed to record, especially as it doesn't seem to get a repeat either.

I would install the Custom Firmware now you have recovered from the problem. As well as giving you a lot more functionality it will get you out of the mess should it ever happen again. Before you attempt to delete a file make sure you have stopped playback first.