Options

Radio Downloader disabled

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    snowman2 wrote: »
    How did you manage to type in the DOS box? I can't get it to take anything.
    why do you want to?
    isn't the web interface an easier way of doing things?
    Also, are the downloaded files good to play for ever or do they expire after 30 days like the other stuff from iplayer?
    Good question... can mp3's expire?
  • Options
    snowman2snowman2 Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    why do you want to?
    isn't the web interface an easier way of doing things?

I wanted to change the default download type to MP3.
    Using the option on the streaming tab did not seem to do it
  • Options
    buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamie6767 wrote: »
    Yes I think Im getting the hang of it. Just managed to get the whole week downloaded of Five Live Wake Up to Money - just got to get it to save in MP3 format now, hence my post above this one.

Nice!

WUTM is also a standard downloadable MP3 podcast...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snowman2 wrote: »
    I wanted to change the default download type to MP3.
    Using the option on the streaming tab did not seem to do it
    Ahh, OK. What command line box were you typing to type into?
    The boxes that pop up when you start Run PVR Scheduler and Web PVR manager, won't play ball, they just tell you what get_iplayer is up to on your behalf.
    If you want to get down and dirty with the command line interface, you need to launch Start > All Programs > get_iplayer > Get_iPlayer

this might help too,
    http://www.christopherdowning.co.uk/2012/01/11/a-basic-get_iplayer-tutorial/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have been downloading shows with get_iplayer, some are stored as mp3, some as m4a. I'm assuming the mp3s do not have DRM, what about the m4a's?
    Just to be on the safe side, I am using mediamonkey to batch process the m4a's to mp3. Paranoid?
  • Options
    Jamie6767Jamie6767 Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now successfully downloading programs in MP3 format. All seems well, and looks like a good replacement for Radio D/Loader.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now successfully downloading programs in MP3 format.
    How did you manage it? A command line switch I'm guessing.
    Do you have to set the switch for each download or is it a permanent fix in the settings?
    looks like a good replacement for Radio D/Loader.
    And thankfully the original developer open sourced it, which was lucky 'cos he got issued with a cease and desist order (just like Matt Robinson) back in 2010. But open source can't be stopped, hehehe!
    (see here, http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer-dropped-in-response-to-bbcs-lack-of-support-for-open-source)

Well they can mess with the format of the feeds I guess, but I'm sure some clever fellow would step in and make a fix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did you manage it? A command line switch I'm guessing.
    Do you have to set the switch for each download or is it a permanent fix in the settings?

I simply followed the instructions in Dave's post earlier, but not using the pop up window when you run the PVR, but used the Get-Iplayer link in the program files group.

I think its every file.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ahh, got it. This, for reference,
    from the command line box enter.....
    get_iplayer --prefs-add --aactomp3
    from then on all recordings should be converted to mp3, even in the Web PVR.
    You can check your preferences with.....
    get_iplayer --prefs-show

Cool, thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From now on, how to you access the radio content you paid for via your TV license portably and in a mobile way?

1. Be rich. Simply use BBC iPlayer Radio and have fat 3g/4g subscriptions to support your devices.

2. Be very tech savvy. It is obviously quite a challenge now.

ergo, the move discriminates against ordinary (to use a cliche: 'hard working family') license payers

I hope that a journalist does a Freedom of Information Act request to the BBC to find out who put the pressure to ask NerdoftheHerd to desist. Was it an industry lobby? Or was this a self generated BBC directive by an career-ambitious make-my-name BBC-o-crat?
  • Options
    hasimirrossihasimirrossi Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I have been downloading shows with get_iplayer, some are stored as mp3, some as m4a. I'm assuming the mp3s do not have DRM, what about the m4a's?
    Just to be on the safe side, I am using mediamonkey to batch process the m4a's to mp3. Paranoid?

m4a's are fine. If they were m4p, they'd be protected.

I managed to use to download one thing, but now every single search comes up blank. What am I doing wrong?

Edit - Duh, I forgot Glastonbury took over 6 Music...
    buglawton wrote: »
    From now on, how to you access the radio content you paid for via your TV license portably and in a mobile way?

1. Be rich. Simply use BBC iPlayer Radio and have fat 3g/4g subscriptions to support your devices.

2. Be very tech savvy. It is obviously quite a challenge now.

ergo, the move discriminates against ordinary (to use a cliche: 'hard working family') license payers

I hope that a journalist does a Freedom of Information Act request to the BBC to find out who put the pressure to ask NerdoftheHerd to desist. Was it an industry lobby? Or was this a self generated BBC directive by an career-ambitious make-my-name BBC-o-crat?

Sadly copyright protection is the current witch hunt. No-one will care. I know why music show downloads were problematic, as they didn't have licencing for it, but I never figured out why talk radio shows were such a problem, especially the in-house productions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC now subcontracts a lot of new content on radio. This phenomenon started some decades ago on TV. Now, if you negotiate weak contracts with your suppliers, you don't have the right to allow sharing this content with the license payers! A sighn of gross incompetency on the part of the highly paid senior management at he BBC but there you have it.

Now I will make a bet: Not one of actual performers is happy with this download block. They'd all rather that a modern audience would appreciate listening freely wherever and whenever. The grasping owners of the content suppliers might or might not care and BBC management does not.

Just sayin'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    For those who prefer to use the get_iplayer GUI (rather than the command line) I see that Woody has just posted an illustrated guide over at http://woodygems.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I seem to have developed a nice error that makes rtmpdump.exe stop working, and now can't download anything. Restarting does nothing, as the error just reoccurs.

I'm not exactly au fait with command line stuff, but I can use it if I have the precise steps to follow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I seem to have developed a nice error that makes rtmpdump.exe stop working, and now can't download anything. Restarting does nothing, as the error just reoccurs.

Try putting a copy of rtmpdump.exe in the \windows\system32 folder.
    Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dave_rawle wrote: »
    Try putting a copy of rtmpdump.exe in the \windows\system32 folder.
    Dave

Seems to have done the trick. Cheers.

Looks like the particular program it initially crashed on is refusing to download properly, but everything else has.

Edit - Ah, manually downloading it after deleting it from my download history finally got it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite probably, I've never got into that subscribing to podcast thingy... aren't they time limited or summat? I'm just happy with a program that shoves a bunch of mp3's into a folder on my Dropbox that I can listen to any old time on my phone/laptop/etc.

Podcasts can be simply saved to disk, downloaded instantly then played on a smartphone, subscribed to via numerous freeware apps on phones or computers etc. Even when I had RD, I always used simpler methods like these to get podcasts.

95% of all the radio progs people mentioned in this thread are on podcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    buglawton wrote: »
    95% of all the radio progs people mentioned in this thread are on podcast.

Not really. I like to record drama from Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra, the only thing available on podcast is the Archers or Shakespeare.
    Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A big chunk of my shows are music, and there's no way they can be podcasted by the beeb :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on Get_iPlayer is it possible to have your list of recordings you like but select from there which ones you want to download when you run the RunPVR tab? I have loads set up, but dont always want all of them downloaded every week - i want to select what i want when i run RunPVR to save bandwidth.

Also on the Recordings tab, the Delete option doesnt seem to remove them from the list for me?

Bring back Radio Downloader !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    on Get_iPlayer is it possible to have your list of recordings you like but select from there which ones you want to download when you run the RunPVR tab? I have loads set up, but dont always want all of them downloaded every week - i want to select what i want when i run RunPVR to save bandwidth.

Bring back Radio Downloader !

In the PVR List it seems it is possible to edit the search criteria, perhaps with Boolean arguments, haven't tried that but if so it would be useful. If you manage it please post. Re the delete maybe it's your choice of browser, think it was optimised with Firefox.
    Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep i run Firefox.
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting close to an alpha release of an app I've cobbled together to bridge the gaps now missing since Radio Downloader became unable and stopped working for current users
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 1st attempt with Get_iplayer Web PVR. Installation straightforward. Always defaults back to TV. Still lots to explore in the GUI. 1st download apeared as an M4A file. Manually converted to MP3 using VLC GUI.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Lakeuk wrote: »
    I'm getting close to an alpha release of an app I've cobbled together to bridge the gaps now missing since Radio Downloader became unable and stopped working for current users
    Looking forward to it.