Album Let Downs of 2013

2»

Comments

• tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is katy perrys album not very good? I was thinking of getting it?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim18 wrote: »
    Is katy perrys album not very good? I was thinking of getting it?

Give it a go
    Don't base it on people's opinions:)
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katy Perry - Prism
    No way near as good or infectious as Teenage Dream. I get that she was going in a new direction, which is fine since a carbon copy of Teenage Dream would have been terrible, but infectious pop is what Katy Perry does best and I just don't really hear any of it on her new album.

Miley Cyrus - Bangerz
    Incredibly over-hyped, extraordinarily underwhelming. The two best songs have been forked out as singles already, leaving a bucket of filler. While the Britney collaboration has grown on me, it's just as forgettable as the rest of the album.

Jessie J - Alive
    I never really warmed to Jessie J, however this doesn't mean I didn't think she had decent songs. Price Tag, Domino etc. but she's definitely succumbed to the sophomore slump. The album is just really lack lustre.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    The Saturdays - Living for the Weekend.

What About Us, Disco Love, Gentleman, Not Giving Up and Lease My Love aside, it's a poor album. They're not realising their full potential and Little Mix are putting them to shame right now (hate to say it but last nights XF performance of Move sh*t all over any Saturdays performance - bags of presence, character, bite and energy).

The Sats just seem to settle for 'that'll do' and take a load of basic, cookie cutter, cheap and tacky tracks from basic producers and call it an album and never actually create a full body of work, just a bunch of tracks - they need to be more being more creative and innovative musically and performance wise like Little Mix seem to be right now. It's frustrating as The Sats are capable of good things if they bucked their ideas up, were more creative and made quality, glossy and interesting pop music but at the moment it's faceless, cheap, weak and tacky leftovers.

They need to go and have a rethink, bring a better, stronger popstar image instead of just constantly looking like they've been kidnapped from Topshop and go a bit more left field and do some studio work with the likes of Xenomania, Richard X, Biffco, Tim Powell, The Invisible Men and come back harder. They need to step it up big time material wise.

I'm a fan of the girls as some of you already know, but I have to agree with this. I've said this so many times, but Chasing Lights is my favourite Saturdays album and I don't think that they will ever top it.

BIB - Yes, sadly.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have to say Goldfrapp Tales of Us. I know there are some people that love it but it's too slow and dull for me. I miss having at least a few more uptempo electro pop and glam rock tracks.
  • tim18tim18 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the girls as some of you already know, but I have to agree with this. I've said this so many times, but Chasing Lights is my favourite Saturdays album and I don't think that they will ever top it.

BIB - Yes, sadly.

Chasing lights was a great pop album, but after that they have never done a proper body of work, they go to random producers and put together tracks and call it an album. No matterhow good or crap it is.

They need to sort themselves out. Living for the weekend was the worst Saturdays album.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie J - Alive
    Much like her debut, it's crap

Naughty Boy - Hotel Cabana
    Some really good tracks on here but not enough. Emeli Sande overkill as well.

Lucy Spraggan - Join The Club
    Too samey.

Eliza Doolittle - In Your Hands
    Far too much filler, and on the whole, very samey and very dull.

Rizzle Kicks - Roaring 20s
    Too long and not a patch on their debut

will.i.am - #willpower
    Too many annoying/bland tracks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    :O OMG I cannot believe the hate Alive is getting, It is one of my most played albums

I agree about Prisim though and the new Live Lounge album is rubbish and so is Annie Mac's new one.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie J - Alive: I knew it would be rubbish and it was. The biggest letdown was that she scrapped the Calvin Harris track from the album. I find all the tracks boring and mediocre

Selena Gomez - Stars Dance: After Come & Get It I was expecting this album to be her breakout moment, but it is just a terrible album and she can't sing at all. Her vocals are overly processed and corrected, the production sounds cheap and boring and the songs themselves don't sound interesting, especially when live.

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP: Way way overhyped, mostly by her. I feel like this album has come a year too late and it sounds like she's desperate to remain relevant. When she tries to be shocking it just comes across as tedious. There are a few interesting songs but for the most part the album is boring to me, and the sound of her voice is really grating.

Kanye West - Yeezus: Probably the least disappointing on this list, but still slightly disappointing. For me it doesn't match up to some of his other albums, and all this singing about "new slaves" etc and moaning about corporations and media attention etc when he is marrying and has a baby with Kim Kardashian is really contrived and insincere.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random Access Memories - Daft Punk; only good in patches. Certainly not in the same league as "Discovery".
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arctic Monkeys - AM: It's a pretty average album and is a struggle to enjoy. Songs like R U Mine? are bland to me.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20/20 part 2. some good songs but nowhere near the level of justified, futuresex or even 20/20 part 1.
  • WolfGirl2WolfGirl2 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    I've got to say really not impressed with Eminem's MMLP2. Some of the tracks are just awful. Granted there are a few good tracks but overall really not up to scratch. I don't know that he will ever make any albums as good as MMLP or SSLP.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WolfGirl2 wrote: »
    I've got to say really not impressed with Eminem's MMLP2. Some of the tracks are just awful. Granted there are a few good tracks but overall really not up to scratch. I don't know that he will ever make any albums as good as MMLP or SSLP.

Agreed. He no longer has it in him to produce something great. Still, I suppose he doesn't mind as he's still selling bucketloads.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WolfGirl2 wrote: »

It's funny. Downloaded it this morning, and I loved every track.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlunaGeorge - Body Music and Daft Punk - Random Access Memories were both pretty terrible.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys - AM: It's a pretty average album and is a struggle to enjoy. Songs like R U Mine? are bland to me.

How many listens did you give it? Took me about 10 before I 'got' it.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't care for ARTPOP... I like the odd song but I don't seem to like most of them. I only like the chorus on Venus, DWYW, ARTPOP and I guess Applause. It's a bit of a let down for me but saying that, each track I heard up until it leaked hadn't impressed me anyway. I won't be buying it on release and I will be deleting it from my itunes... No doubt some of the "hardcore" fans will defend it all the way. I've seen comments about how it's "the best album ever", how it's "amazing" ... It's really not, it's all very same-y generic pop with a bit of electro thrown in. It's not iconic and it doesn't really stand out. It's a shame because I liked her before she hit it big. I had been following her before the release of her debut album. Then she went all weird and preachy with the OTT "fashion" etc. I prefer Born This Way to ARTPOP and even then I only liked half the songs on that.