New setup tips, help apprecitated..

OK. First off, I apoligise that my first post is a request, I hope to answer some of the more meaningful questions around here, that don't get me "up to my neck in it", as time goes by :).

I have a Media Center PC, with all the bells and whistles (DVI out, Dolby 7.1 etc.)

I'm getting a new TV soon, that has : Inputs 2xHDMI, Component and audio stuff (Phillips 42PFP5532D).

I have tried searching maplin to no avail, as it makes me buy a sh!tload of connectors and cables for what I need to do...

Basically, all I am looking for is some links via maplin for a DVI splitter (2 DVI from one, and 2 outputs, 1xDVI for existing monitor and either DVI/Component out on the second part of the splitter?) In other words, my existing monitor is DVI, and my TV takes HDMI, DVI or Component. I need the stuff that supports my existing PC setup, and extends to the new TV.

Any help appreciated (or aprecitated as my post title says :|), any further information can be provided, since it looks a bit messy...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

A DVI splitter will simply take one DVI signal and feed it to two separate destinations. It will not let you feed different pictures to each device. So if your monitor is sat next to the telly that is going to be a bit of a waste of time, effort and money frankly. Why watch the same image on two screens?

DVI Splitter:

http://cpc.farnell.com/AV13027/audio-video-tv/product.us0?sku=cyp-cdvi-2

Not cheap. But then again it is a bit more complex than twisting a couple of bits of wire together and invoking whatever deity you subscribe to in the hope that it will work :)

If you want to feed separate images to monitor and TV then you need a dual output graphics card. That would actually be the better solution (and may actually be cheaper). It would enable you to set different resolutions for TV and monitor, LCD panels work best at the native pixel resolution which is likely to be different for the two screens so one will be compromised if you feed the same thing to both.

Plus having two screens means you can have your media player or whatever up on the monitor at the same time as watching your content on the TV. Which is I suspect what you really want to do in the first place?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

A DVI splitter will simply take one DVI signal and feed it to two separate destinations. It will not let you feed different pictures to each device. So if your monitor is sat next to the telly that is going to be a bit of a waste of time, effort and money frankly. Why watch the same image on two screens?

DVI Splitter:

http://cpc.farnell.com/AV13027/audio-video-tv/product.us0?sku=cyp-cdvi-2

Not cheap. But then again it is a bit more complex than twisting a couple of bits of wire together and invoking whatever deity you subscribe to in the hope that it will work :)

If you want to feed separate images to monitor and TV then you need a dual output graphics card. That would actually be the better solution (and may actually be cheaper). It would enable you to set different resolutions for TV and monitor, LCD panels work best at the native pixel resolution which is likely to be different for the two screens so one will be compromised if you feed the same thing to both.

Plus having two screens means you can have your media player or whatever up on the monitor at the same time as watching your content on the TV. Which is I suspect what you really want to do in the first place?

Thanks for the tips. Maybe a new graphics card would be the order of the day actually, as occasionally i get a screen full of multi-coloured pin stripes on boot up, several restarts required to get it working. I was originally just planning to turn off the monitor and/or change channels on the TV for family viewing, but maybe new graphics card would be better all round.

Thanks again :)

-- nemA ---
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you trying to achieve? One TV with several HD sources (counting the PC as a HD source)?

Or the ability to connect each source to two different monitors/TVs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    RobAnt wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve? One TV with several HD sources (counting the PC as a HD source)?

Or the ability to connect each source to two different monitors/TVs?

I just want to have the extra facility of viewing my PC on my TV, to watch DIVX straight from the PC.