Options

ITV Slow Train Through Africa:Griff Rhys Jones

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Slow Train Through Africa with Griff Rhys Jones
1/5. New series.
The comedian makes five train journeys taking in the spectacular sights of Africa, travelling to unexpected places in deserts and forests, villages and cities, and finding out how the railways are used today.
He begins in the north, on a line that links the trading cities of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Stocking up for his trip at a souk in Marrakesh, he boards the train for a seven-hour ride to the ancient city of Fes, and eventually reaches the Sahara - and his final destination of Tozeur.

Well I enjoyed that, I'll watch the next part too.
Makes it all look very pleasant and seamless, which I suppose is the point of this sort of thing, just roll with it, let it pull you along.

Comments

• Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slow Train Through Africa with Griff Rhys Jones
    1/5. New series.
    The comedian makes five train journeys taking in the spectacular sights of Africa, travelling to unexpected places in deserts and forests, villages and cities, and finding out how the railways are used today.
    He begins in the north, on a line that links the trading cities of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Stocking up for his trip at a souk in Marrakesh, he boards the train for a seven-hour ride to the ancient city of Fes, and eventually reaches the Sahara - and his final destination of Tozeur.

Well I enjoyed that, I'll watch the next part too.
    Makes it all look very pleasant and seamless, which I suppose is the point of this sort of thing, just roll with it, let it pull you along.

Meridian had Namibia rather than Morocco, etc. And on +1 as well
  • Options
    Alex482Alex482 Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    It looks like ITV have made a mistake and broadcast episode 4 instead of episode 1.

His journey starts in Morocco and finishes in South Africa, but tonight we got Namibia and at the end he said next week's episode is South Africa and the end of the line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I should have paid attention to that copy and paste.
    ITV's website is no help, why I used the Radio Times.
  • Options
    OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Namibia episode is also on Virgin Media catch up and on the ITV Player (despite it being previewed on the player as being the North Africa episode).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bumpity bump
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is quite interesting I like these type travel shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm finding him getting ripped off repeatedly amusing.
    He's in a very good mood too.
    Even rough places look good the way this has been filmed.
    The first mention of security problems in Algeria.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiots for spoiling the playout order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, got to admit I laughed at the 'Oral Tree' joke.
    Not enough of Constantin (sp) either, that looked like an interesting place just to look at.
    All very nice, could have been more of it, having to dash through everything.
  • Options
    Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should be on in the afternoon!
  • Options
    CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiots for spoiling the playout order.

Idiots for pointing out ITVs mistake?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This should be on in the afternoon!

Don't those who work 'normal' hours enjoy lightweight travelogues?
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Griff was looking out from the train and said if he came back without his head, let him know reminded me of Vyvyan in 'The Young Ones' episode, Bambi. He was in that too, of course.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they actually showing the first episode tonight on the repeat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't know if I've learned much watching this, but it's been entertaining, I'll remember Tsavo Maneaters though, Rothschild's Giraffes poking their heads in shot, cheered me up more than they should have.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been able to stand Griff Rhys Jones since he conned the BBC into paying for that no-hoper restoration of his cottage in Pembrokeshire.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I'm quite enjoying this show, though have seen only two of the three broadcast episodes. Am I right in thinking it's mistakenly been broadcast as Episodes 4, 1 and 2 so far, and that I can find that mistakenly aired fourth episode on ITV Player, as I missed the first week?

I do find the show moves along at an unexpectedly quick pace. Such are the gaps between locations or cities, and then we only see them for two minutes or so (this was most noticeable on the Morocco-Tunisia trip) most of the time. I don't know if many of the places get quite long enough. Nairobi, for example, seemed like the kind of place that would be worth exploring a little but it was simply glanced at.

GRJ is very optimistic though, and I love this kind of show anyway. They take the right kind of presenter though, so it's rare I'll find one I enjoy quite this much. They remind me a little of the Billy Connolly ones, of which I wish he'd do another.
    Still, looking forward to the rest of the series... between all its issues and financial constaints, Africa has a unique charm to it in most places. :)