Options

Newzoids

Comments

• Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    oops...... you re right !

Im losing track of time

was nt spitting image on a sunday nite ?
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    oops...... you re right !

Im losing track of time

was nt spitting image on a sunday nite ?

Hehe, yep Spitting Image was Sunday night..When I was too young to watch it, after being up late ill I caught it, then got put to bed, my parents recorded it and edited out parts for me to watch it..then saw the repeats on cable when I moved out..Well they stopped editing it when I was 12 I think by then I got the satire..no one was safe, everyone was subject to it..right or left..or indeed celebrity :D

Looking forward to Newzoids, but it might be a bit tame I fear, on all counts, with the current climate.

Certainly the Norman Fowler Spitting Image skits were hard hitting..would they dare do similar?? with atos..etc..I doubt it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Trailers can of course be very misleading, but if that trailer is any indication of quality then it's going to be pretty dismal. When we live in an age where Mrs Brown Boys is used as part of the satirist's arsenal, then maybe it's time they just gave up. It looks like a less subtle 2DTV if anyone remembers [or more likely just can't forget] that. And what an awful title, I hope it's deliberately that naff.

Another surefire hit from ITV!
    It does seem a little chavvy. Like it was made for ITV2 with the humour of Lee Nelson.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope it stays on celebrity spoof ....
    a moel of Simon Cowel.... Amanda ..... Ant and Flippin Eck ...

lets spoof the mad celeb world...

Jeromy Clarkson in some blingey sports car....

wot with the celeb world and Royalty ... and the football millionairs...
    Spice and Becks....

theres no end to it !

I MIGHT just start making a few puppets myself...
    builing the sets ... and start filming with my HD camcorder

( I could post my spoof movies on U Tube ! )

If it's just about celebs then I'm even less interested than I was before.
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the ad is anything to go by I'll be avoiding this at all costs.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    If satire died in 1973, its bones have been ground into dust and sent to landfill by now, never to be seen or thought of again, except by ITV it seems.

I'm not sure this sort of show 'works' anymore. Politics and politicians, Royalty, showbiz and celebrity, sport, in fact almost all areas of our lives have moved so far beyond satire, what can you say about them that hasn't already been said? How can you satirise/ spoof/ take the piss out of/ whatever you want to call it the high-profile - i.e. tabloid and internet bait - personalities of today when everything they do is calculated precisely for their ability to grab headlines, drive web-hits or just for plain shock value? The reason why Spitting Image worked (at least, until its decline) and why every subsequent similar show is compared to it, is because we - the largely un-informed masses - generally didn't know everything that those who were lampooned got up to and SI shone (shined?) a light on them. These days, not only do we know what the 'victims' are up to 24 x 7, the 'victims' tell us themselves ! Take Katie Hopkins. Is there anything this show can portray her as saying or doing that's any more shocking that anything she's already said IRL?

Sorry, OP, I realise this is probably a somewhat more analytical comment than you started this thread for.
    I think you're missing the point. The reason satire works is because it breaks down the carefully prepared PR image and lampoons the truth behind it. Spitting Image wouldn't have made sense if we didn't understand the people they were satirising. If you are going to send someone up there has to be some public knowledge of what their character is to send up. Spitting Image used to fail when it tried to send up people who didn't have a well known public image.

Now would be a good time to have some political satire on TV. To blow holes in the ridiculous posturing and downright lies. Bremner, Bird and Fortune was probably the last good satirical show. They were excellent at exposing the flaws in politicians and their ideas.

As for the supposedly extreme left wing bias in Spitting Image the OP mentioned, well is that surprising since we had a right wing government at the time. Satirists tend to attack the people in power.
  • Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point. The reason satire works is because it breaks down the carefully prepared PR image and lampoons the truth behind it. Spitting Image wouldn't have made sense if we didn't understand the people they were satirising. If you are going to send someone up there has to be some public knowledge of what their character is to send up. Spitting Image used to fail when it tried to send up people who didn't have a well known public image.

Now would be a good time to have some political satire on TV. To blow holes in the ridiculous posturing and downright lies. Bremner, Bird and Fortune was probably the last good satirical show. They were excellent at exposing the flaws in politicians and their ideas.

As for the supposedly extreme left wing bias in Spitting Image the OP mentioned, well is that surprising since we had a right wing government at the time. Satirists tend to attack the people in power.

Exactly. Spitting Image did not have ANY left wing bias - all parties were attacked regardless.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Looks great but needs a funny script. very often the scripts arent funny. Should be on at the weekend, sunday nights are better
    They should do the tories throwing stones at the sick and disabled and poor !
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is what counts as celebrity now is so shallow and depressing I don't want to watch a programme that is about this even if it's an attempt at satirising.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    They should do the tories throwing stones at the sick and disabled and poor !

Hilarious.
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    wHAT is Debra Stephenson...... ex Corrie St actress.... doing in Newzoids ?
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    wHAT is Debra Stephenson...... ex Corrie St actress.... doing in Newzoids ?

She's an impressionist, it's what she started out as as a teenager on Opportunity Knocks. And she did a series with Alastair McGowan IIRC.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    Trouble is what counts as celebrity now is so shallow and depressing I don't want to watch a programme that is about this even if it's an attempt at satirising.
    I was going to make the same point. Celebs go from Joey Essex to the Royals. It's depressing to see the amount of people who can't name a handful of politicians, or even the PM, but know the full life stories of reality tv 'stars'.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I cannot believe all these critics - the F*****G show hasn't even started yet!! What a load of hypocritical ***** you are!!
    Watch it first....then comment on it!!!! :kitty: (Two minutes to go)

I'll make my own comment in 30mins. I don't believe people can type and watch TV at the same time!
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    She's an impressionist, it's what she started out as as a teenager on Opportunity Knocks. And she did a series with Alastair McGowan IIRC.

Funnily she was one of the voices on the original Spitting Images :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    They look nothing like Ant and Dec
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A bit close to the bone with that 'shot in the back' sketch.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite liking it so far :D
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok I did laugh at the Obama bit:blush:
  • Options
    Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good lord, this is appalling.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't this treasonable? :o
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F★cking Kents....priceless
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even... What is this horrible piece of television?
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A bit close to the bone with that 'shot in the back' sketch.

ITV pushing the boundaries without fear or favour.:o
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I dont think the Royal bit was meant to be funny, as it was taking off Mrs Brown.