Options

EE - Steve Mcfadden lands another Panto role

zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,849
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/s2/eastenders/news/a640837/eastenders-star-steve-mcfadden-joins-jack-and-the-beanstalk-panto.html

Steve Mcfadden has landed another role in Panto.

He will play Fleshcreep in Jack and the Beanstalk at The Hawth Theatre in Crawley, West Sussex

It will run from the 11th of December to the 3rd of January

He played the same Character in St Albans last Christmas

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Oh ffs. Another prison or overseas stint to explain his absence at the beginning of the year.

I get fed up of this. I know the actors want to do other work and the argument that they'"l stay longer if they get breaks but i honestly think they detract from the quality of the show.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staring to think that maybe they should get the actors who insist on signing for panto in over the few months prior to it and get them to film extra scenes that can get cut into the episodes they'd miss filming of.

It's not the writers or the shows fault when these characters are missing, but it's always them that get blamed by certain fans when their faves are off-screen for a couple of months.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    So that's Adam and Steve out of the show for weeks on end next year.
  • Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    So that's Adam and Steve out of the show for weeks on end next year.

Rita Simmons is also doing panto http://twitter.com/marlowetheatre/status/578893520498483201
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rita Simmons is also doing panto

No doubt Sam will have something better to do as well.
  • Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw Steve McFadden last year, he was pretty good tbh.
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    A few of them doing it this year

Jake wood also doing panto
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt Sam will have something better to do as well.

Probably 😏 and could we be in for another Carter filled Christmas?
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actors love doing panto, its fun for them and why not?
    The EE cast is pretty huge these days so there are plenty of others who might get a storyline.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I worked at Tesco can you imagine the boss giving me permission to work in Sainsbury's over Christmas. Thy get enough money from EastEnders. They should let other actors who need the work more get it. It's the viewer who misses out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably 😏 and another Carter filled Christmas

And DTC will get slagged off or using the only cast he's got left....aren't Kat and Alfie off soon as well.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bad because it falls on a crucial period for EE which is Xmas/going into New Year, so we be with a few main players missing again to at least April, not good we be stuck with the same quality we're currently receiving if they don't get their acts together I heard Sam Womack is doing it as well which considering she has been absence more then she has been on the soap I'm surprised they would agreed to it!

The show desperately need consistency and they're not getting it at all, I know it's a good earner for the actors but the show suffers badly for it.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    The EE cast is pretty huge these days so there are plenty of others who might get a storyline.

It's fine as long as everyone realises that that's why they're not there, but I can already predict people will be starting threads on here about 'DTC has forgotten this character!' Or 'why is there a Carter in this scene and not x, y or z - why are they stealing my faves screentime' or more complaints about block story-telling or the slow pace of storylines like we had this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »

Because four major families will be decimated...Beales, Mitchells, Brannings and Moons.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish he would do panto for a full year tbh. Sick to death of phil. If he was made a weak and dependant character or keep showing his softer side i would like him more but he has
    Become a parody with his hardman, threatening bully routine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because four major families will be decimated...Beales, Mitchells, Brannings and Moons.

Agreed. Too many big characters leaving in one go is a bad move and recent weeks have shown. Sam should be refused this year with all the breaks she's had. I'd say 2 more as a maximum should be allowed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staring to think that maybe they should get the actors who insist on signing for panto in over the few months prior to it and get them to film extra scenes that can get cut into the episodes they'd miss filming of.

It's not the writers or the shows fault when these characters are missing, but it's always them that get blamed by certain fans when their faves are off-screen for a couple of months.

And for stupid reasons.

Either they need to film stuff in advance or they need to just ban them from doing it.

I'm sorry but whatever job allows their staff 2 or 3 months off each year to go and do another job which damages their product?

If it were characters that weren't missed and they didn't have to specifically write out it might be different but they aren't.

I have nothing against McFadden, i think he is a great actor and don't blame him for wanting to do something 'lighter' for a few weeks and if the Producers allow it, why shouldn't he. But i don't think they should allow it, for him or anybody else. And that includes Linda Henrys 2 months break each Summer/Autumn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    If I worked at Tesco can you imagine the boss giving me permission to work in Sainsbury's over Christmas. Thy get enough money from EastEnders. They should let other actors who need the work more get it. It's the viewer who misses out.

Exactly.

I'm sorry, but either they are working full time at this job or they aren't.

I don't have an objection to a long standing 'staff member' having a lengthy sabbatical. 3 or even 6 months off for womebody that has been working there for 5+ years is fine as a one off. But not 2 months every year!

There is a reason most employers limit continuous holidays to 2 weeks maximum. It is because they can't cover the work without it suffering for longer than that unless they get a temp in to cover. They can't get a temp in to cover an actors leave can they - not in UK soaps anyway. And more than 2 weeks absence does damage the product.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any guesses as to how long We will have scenes of Kathy with Ian and Phil before the characters go off screen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    And for stupid reasons.

Either they need to film stuff in advance or they need to just ban them from doing it.

I'm sorry but whatever job allows their staff 2 or 3 months off each year to go and do another job which damages their product?

If it were characters that weren't missed and they didn't have to specifically write out it might be different but they aren't.

I have nothing against McFadden, i think he is a great actor and don't blame him for wanting to do something 'lighter' for a few weeks and if the Producers allow it, why shouldn't he. But i don't think they should allow it, for him or anybody else. And that includes Linda Henrys 2 months break each Summer/Autumn.

Linda always has her holiday at a time when the rest of the cast are around, after the school holidays and before the panto exodus, so it's nowhere as damaging to the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Linda always has her holiday at a time when the rest of the cast are around, after the school holidays and before the panto exodus, so it's nowhere as damaging to the show.

I agree that it is nowhere near as bad as the exodus we get straight after Xmas, New year but i still find it very noticeable. Not because i miss her when she has gone but because they make such a big plot of her going (has Carl killed her, her shooting Pohil as 2 examples) and then her return 2 months later.

Basically, every September you know shirley will implode and run away or be chased out of Waford and then in December she'll come back and after 2 episodes the circumstances of her leaving won't be mentioned again.

ETA. Patsy Palmer kept having her 3 month breaks at the same sort of time as Linda which annoyed me as well. But she's gone for good now so we can leave that one be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's phil, Roxy and ian... NO more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I agree that it is nowhere near as bad as the exodus we get straight after Xmas, New year but i still find it very noticeable. Not because i miss her when she has gone but because they make such a big plot of her going (has Carl killed her, her shooting Pohil as 2 examples) and then her return 2 months later.

Basically, every September you know shirley will implode and run away or be chased out of Waford and then in December she'll come back and after 2 episodes the circumstances of her leaving won't be mentioned again.

Yes, there's no need for that. They've only made a big deal of it the last 3 years even though she's always gone to see her family in Greece every year at about the same time. Actors with young children always get a few weeks off in the school holidays, but they don't get these big exits and returns.

Why can't see just go to see Carly or George or be 'upstairs' for a while.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He does panto every week in EastEnders.

Seriously bored of Phil at the moment.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Can understand why Steve McFadden wants to do panto, i read somewhere once that he gets the same salary for 4 weeks work doing panto as he does in a year at EastEnders anyone who can double there salary in 4 weeks would be stupid to say no. It annoys me that Phil disappears every January, i mean how many times can Phil go to Prison usually for something he hasn't done before being released without charge? Also i want the Mitchells to have a big Christmas this year as it is a few years since we have had a proper Mitchell Christmas and Kathy's return would be the perfect excuse for a Beale/Mitchell Christmas.